The third time was a charm for me! I am posting this only to describe my experience and nothing more. I am not a doctor, but I am someone who is diligent and did a lot of personal research before my third detox. If you find anything useful I would speak to your doctor first about it. This worked for me and may not work for you.

I am in pretty good shape and go to the gym often to do cardiovascular exercises and my metabolism is normal. I eat a well balanced diet in general as well. I always thought it important to exercise well before a detox and eat well so I could flush as many unwanted toxins out of my body and build up a good base of nutrients. I tried to avoid doing any exercise that would make my muscles sore right before a detox b/c the muscle aches would hurt a lot during the physical withdrawals.

I've gone through a cycle of using, detoxing and relapsing three times. The second time I detoxed it was awful and unbearable. Part of it was driven by the fact that I stayed on subs for three months straight and also because I didn't eat well during that period and didnt have access to certain supplements. I decided never to stay on subs for too long again and if I ever did relapse that I would use suboxone for a short-term taper only. I know OC withdrawal would have been ten times worse, but suboxone withdrawal after a long period of use isn't easy either.

After the second detox, I managed to stay clean for months afterwards, but I relapsed and was back to a bad OC habit for about a year. I constantly worried about how bad the withdrawal would be this time given how bad my most recent detox was so I did a lot of research, spoke to detox centers, visited two addiction specialists and spoke to former addicts via hotlines. I cherry picked things I heard and applied them to my most recent detox. And when I was on the third day of my third detox I caught myself in good spirits at one point and thinking, "Wow, this is pretty mild." I didn't say this bc it was easy to detox. I only felt like this because compared to my previous detoxes, this one was a walk in the park and I actually had a little appetite and could actually do things.

One thing that helped me a lot was that I did my detox away from home and went to an all inclusive resort for four days. Now this is an expensive route to go, but the reason I did this is because when I was at home detoxing I saw things that reminded me of my life in general and this caused a lot of anxiety. Plus certain objects reminded me of opiates. And when I heard my local radio certain songs that I used to hear on OC would give me urges. Being in a sunny resort away from home and having someone clean my room was awesome. Plus the all inclusive part allowed me to access food and drinks 24/7 and there was also a spa on site. I went to Mexico which was a little on the pricey end, but the Dominican Republic is a super value from what I hear. One can buy a one week vacation package at a nice, clean all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic for $600 to $700. This includes airfare, transportation to the resort and back to the airport, lodging and unlimited food and drinks. A regular detox facility costs $1,000 per day so you do the math. Seeing others at the resort on vacation and watching the sunny beach from my room really helped put me in good spirits and eased my anxiety during the withdrawal. Anyway, I didn't necessarily need to go on a vacation, but I always do a lot of soul searching when I go away and during a detox I have nobody but myself to be with for a few days so it helped to be away from familiar cues.

Anyway, here is what I did for my most recent detox.

Supplements and Medications I Used:

- 2 mg suboxone - Prescription
- Fish + Flax Seed Oil Combo - From GNC
- Strovite One - Pescription vitamin which is loaded with nutrients that opiate users lack. The body absorbs it well and this was key to helping minimize my withdrawal pains
- Tube of Scentless Ben Gay - OTC
- Theraflu for Pain and the hot liquid was soothing - OTC
- 450 mg Valerian Root Capsules - OTC
- 5 mg Melatonin Caps - OTC
- Benzo for Sleep - Prescription
- 2 mg immodium tablets - OTC
- L-Tyrosine 500 mg caps - GNC
- Vitamin B supplement

What I Ate/Drank:

All of this food is quick, healthy and soft on the stomach. Surprisingly, I had an appetite.
- Lot of Chicken Soup and Chili and any Other Soups You Like
- Oatmeal for Breakfast
- Lots of Water and Gatorade. I was peeing every 30 minutes while I was awake.
- White Rice (Can Order from Chinese Take-out)
- Steamed Vegetables (Can Order from Chinese Take-out)
- Fruit Shakes
- Any meats or mushrooms for protein

On my last day of opiates I tried to use as little OC as possible. The next day I woke up and waited until I was in withdrawal. I waited until my pupils got really dilated and then took one 2mg sub, waited about 30 minutes and then took one more. I took 2 2 mg subs again the next day (one in the AM and one in the PM) and than afterwards I cut my dosage down every day. I used a box cutter to trim the 2 mg suboxones down and got them to roughly 0.25 mg pieces. Now this sub taper will vary for people. Some will need to use the subs for longer and adjust the mg, but I believe the goal is to use the sub for less than three weeks and enough so that the withdrawal from abused opiates subsides. On day 7 of my suboxone taper I took a 0.25 mg piece in the morning. During the sub taper time I ate well, exercised, took one Strovite One daily, ate the fish + flaxseed oil, took one vitamin B supplement with 500 mg of L-Tyrosine, ate melatonin at night for sleep and got myself mentally pumped up for the detox.

The next day I woke up early in the morning and felt lousy as I went to the airport. I ate a Strovite multivitamin and oatmeal for breakfast. Before the flight I took a lot of immodium. It was a quick flight and when I got to my room the withdrawal really started. I felt mostly chills the first day so I requested an extra blanket and kept the curtains open to let the sunlight in. This helped me keep really warm. I really had no energy so I followed the Thomas Recipe suggestion and took a vitamin B cap with 3000 mg of L-Tyrosine (I did this several times if I wanted energy). This gave me some energy after ten minutes and I was able to walk around so I put on my i-pod and used whatever little energy I had to drag myself to the beach and laid there for a few hours. I ate a lot of soup and threw rice in there to make it softer on my stomach and to fill me up. I drank water non-stop and also drank vodka straight up to help ease my pains and boredom a bit the first day. I felt lethary and chills and got the runs after eating the first day. I took benzos whenever I wanted to sleep and this consisted of xanax with trazadone. I had my laptop and a bunch of DVDs. Watching stand up comedians like Dave Chappelle and Daniel Tosh helps. Laughter actually made me feel good for a few minutes at a time. Detoxes are very boring so I found it useful to do things I enjoy to make the time go faster and help me forget about how bad I am feeling. I slept well that night after using my benzos and a lot of valerian root capsules.

The second day was when sleep become a bit tougher. My wd symptoms were mostly chills and lethargy again + runs after eating. Every morning I took a Strovite, fish+flaxseed oil cap, vitamin b supplement and a lot of L-Tyrosine with gatorade and/or water. My meals consisted of soup, oatmeal, rice, steamed vegetables and meats. I also drank a few fruit shakes. Even without a great appetite I force fed myself and made sure to drink a lot of fluids so the food would stay inside. Immodium helped and I took it very often and liberally. I also took a lot of hot showers, usually after taking the vitamins and supplements because it have me some quick energy afterwards. Using the steam room and getting a deep tissue massage was awesome on day 2 and when I got back to my room I applied ben gay all over myself to ease the muscle aches. Theraflu once a day helped a lot with the aches and the hot liquid felt good going down. For sleep I used a combination of benzos and valerian root. I also used the valerian root capsules to make tea and drank this often. I AVOIDED CAFFEINE at all costs.

On day 3 the wd symptoms came and went and I knew the bad physical withdrawal symptoms would mostly be over by day 4. I did the same routine as day 2 pretty much (sans the massage) and slept a few hours that night. Day 4 I woke up and the physical wd symptoms were gone. I was lethargic and in a crappy mood but the bad physical symptoms like the chills and aches were gone. My appetite was back and so was my libido! I was impressed that I was able to eat, take hot showers, make it to the spa and beach and had energy to go eat. All of these things would have been nearly impossible or felt like an enormous effort during my second detox but I believe the Strovite and other supplements helped give me that extra boost and a little appetite to eat. These little things in combination with a short suboxone taper went a long way.

Great writeup! Seems like the attitude was there. I don't think a detox at an all inclusive would be that bad. In fact, I've even thought of it myself. However I cannot afford it at this moment, so my home will do (I'm on day 3 of a mild opiate withdrawal....... again).

Having food always prepared, heat, bikinis, benzos and alcohol on demand would make it much easier. Plus getting up and moving around is so fricking huge. I'd imagine that being able to take walks and whatnot would really help with the boredom.

Anyways.. hope you have stayed clean.

(P.S. I always know its nice to know that someone has read your story, believe me its more then just me). Thanks for your insight!

Oh forgot to add:

I totally agree with you on the WDs coming and going (like you had on day 3) is always a good sign and signals that you will have big improvement the following day.

I just read a very interesting study on the internet that was done long ago and forgotten. It was about how propoxyphene helped methadone and heroin addicts through the withdrawal. Its very easy to get Darvocet from your Doctor and I am telling you guys it works!!!

Congrts for you friend,

I hope you stay happy and clean. I myslef am on day 3 and have no with drawals what so ever aside from not sleeping and very mild sweats. I feel very lucky. My first detox was bloody awful. I was expecting the worst this time around because I am much worse now that what I was. But luckly I have support. I dont get perscribed 120 xanax bars. Those helped alot. I have been eating like crazy and no bathroom problems. I am on3 lucky s0n of a b*tch. My soon to be husband is coming back from over seas and I want to be the best I can be from him. He deserves it.

Good Luck.MuchLove.StayClean.

-Sky

This post kinda disturbed me because a true detox does not involve silicone. I am detoxing called turkey from suboxon, it its a strong drug so if you were using that you really didn't detox.

Man, theyre stopping distibution on propoxyphene. I know it helped detox though, i had a buddy that used that when he didnt have suboxone for oc wd.

darvacet is just another opiate, ofcourse it will work/help. another thing that helps alot and is easy to get from your dr is "tramadol" a mild pain killer/synthetic-opiate ... helps alot

ive been taking hydros since age 12 im now 39. I WANNA QUIT!! i would take whatever mg i could get! i would take sometimes 10 or more a day! im on my 3rd day and the stomach pain is HORRIBLE!! my whole family is on some kind of drug! i have a brother whos in jail for drugs and drinking. my sister is in jail for drugs. my stepdad R.I.P. DADDY!! he was on pills and drinking. my real dad smokes pot and  has had a drinking problem..im not too sure what else..anyways I WANT ALL THIS TO END!! IM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED!! idk what to expect from w/d`s! im taking tylenol and tylenol pm and clonzapam to help me sleep and for the anxitey!!  I JUST WANNA SLEEP!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEMME KNOW!!...................................................................................................THANK YOU & GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!!  YOU CAN!! DO IT!!                                                                                                                                                                                                  

hello i am 18 i live in NYC and im a male lol
anyways i started off at age 12 with xtc and i did that for about 2 years every weekend the most i ever took was about 13 pills a night...anyways i have tried mostly everything by the time i reached age 16 (xtc- specail k- crystal meth- shrooms- acid -Ritalin- anti depressants i been on all of them but stood with wellbutrin -cocaine -heorin - and basically everything )
when i hit the age 16 i was addicted to opiate mostly roxies or oxy 30mg i was selling them buying them for $10 selling it for $25 i got ride of over 100 pills within 4 days  to rich kids/feigns from great neck and Jamaica estate..... but i eventually got addicted obviously me being a addict with all those roxies in my room i fell hard by the age of 17 i went into rehab but i wasn't as bad as i am now anyways eventually i started selling dope and i started experimenting more with that (snorting dope and roxies NOT IV)
anyways i can tell u heroin withdrawals are the real deal i always prefer oxys tho i was doing about 250 mgs a day oxys or about 7 bags a day of dope ... even tho i never went inpatient after i was 17 i was a lot worse when i turned 18 after my dope experience i basically fell alot harder... now im currently 18 years old i have a girl friend for about 2 years and i feel so physically dependent on the drug its self the most clean time i have is 2 months and i don't count subs as clean time because its not its a opiate if im going to put any opiate in my body why the hell would i put a nasty orange tablet under my tongue i rather sniff a line of some raw =) lol ... so i basically detoxed. The withdrawals started after about 12 hours (plus i did my research at the time so i got as much education possible so i know how to go about this HOME DETOX since i wasn't planing on leaving everything to to a rehab AGAIN)
the first 3 days was the worst i think id say the second and third are the hardest i was so f*****g sick i couldn't move from bed i told my boss id be sick for 4 days but i was extremely sick every fart smelled disgusting i was sweating like crazy but i was freezing and i went to detox before but it never gotten this bad the first time i detoxed i had mild withdrawals but after seeing them so intense i can say i knew nothing i was still completely fine my body now is so psychically dependent and mentally. My psychical  withdrawals include:  chills cold sweats diarrhea depression anxiety insomnia restless legs tierdness weak aching in knees omg this was horrible lol but basically i over came it and i hit 13 days clean i was almost fine after the first 4 days i was left with  a bit more chills and that ended on day 7 but after day 4 it was on and off  after day 4 i was able to show up at work i had diarrhea but i was able to function and it seemed easy after the first couple of days i got alkot of energy back i went cold turkey benadryls at night benzo the first 2 days snorting but it didnt help at all and pot really late at night witch made my insomnia worse anyways at day 13 i got mad and relapsed that scared me i felt like no hope in getting clean i relapsed for 2 days and then i went clean and that brings us to today i been clean all day and today was horrible i felt crazy depression i felt bad withdrawals but 1s it his 10 or 11 it all went away the sweats everything except the diarrhea i wonder when that will go away the problem of the matter is im seeing my girl friend tomorrow and i have a problem with premature ejaculation and that's kinda why i keep relapsing and subs helps the problem but im not taking that sh*t no way anyways i have 2 roxies on me and the thing is i didn't take it all day im saving it for tomorrow i would have done some today but i dont wanna go threw those bad withdrawals i went threw already i did all that work i dont wanna set my self back after tomorrow im done im not letting my self down again if the roxies wasn't in my pocket i wouldn't do it tommorrow i know its sad but im going to do this weather u or any one has faith in me or not i appreciate any one who read this  u can try dxm cough medication to help detox it got me sick as hell but it helped i did it on the second day of my detox and it made me throw up so im scared but it gave me a drowsy feeling similar to opiate but didn't take away the withdrawals but it made the diarrhea worst lol but cold turkey is the way to go fushhh those subs  go clean detox! home or inpatient u gotta do u unless Ur over the age of 60 but a lot of us got a whole life ahead of us ....good luck to all of u who read good luck and stay sober <3

So I have to say i have red over 50 different stories on different sites an I have to tell you Ive been off my narco for 4 days now . My legs are killing me but I will make it . I've went to work this hole week but told them what was going on . I know it seems a lot of people write on here because they can't talk to any one , well I'm not to one I told everyone I was stopping my life is way more important then any drug !!!! Most of the men that I have been with had drug issues , I was always trying to get them better , but I can tell you that if your gf loves you she will understand ...... No one understands what I'm going threw because now I have all the right people in my life ... God was knocking at my door telling me it was time I get my life back ...As we speak I'm at work and my husband will be on his way home from down south and when he comes back I will be totally clean . My family is worth more then just a pill or two. They should have the best me not the one watching the clock too see when I can take my next pill. Any one can stop by the grace of god all of us are forgivin as soon as we ask for it. He will get you threw as long as your ask. ! Ps tapering is like doing one line of coke a day it wont work. Cold turkey is the way to go! Keep headed down the right road you will make any thing you put your mind too !!!!!

Too add one more thing I've been taking vitamins, xanax, and energy drinks and I've made it . Maybe haven't slept all night and I only take the xanax at night not during the day because that can be come another habit . Plus walking even a block or two just to feel the sun and get your legs going has helped so much . Mind over matter god bless

How are you doing ? Did you make it ?

I like reading these posts, they help me alot, but i have one thing that bothers me.i am not new to this opiate thing, been a oc and heroin user for the past 8yrs. We can all get off the drugs at most anytime. The problem is staying off them. In my opinion, JUST MY opinion, if your an addict you need some support. Our best thinking got us were we are. In MY case my thinking sucks. Therefore i choose to seek therapy, and attend NA and AA groups. The amazing part of a 12step program is that you learn how to live without the drugs. Your circle of friends become people in recovery. For THIS addict it is important. If i am feeling down i talk to people who understand and have been there before me. It is hard to stay clean if you still talk to the dope man daily, or at all. For awhile i felt like i had lost my best friends until i realized they werent friends. Today i am free of many of the demons i used to carry around in my pockets, on my shoulders, in my head, etc... Life isnt always easy, but for TODAY i dont need to pick up. There isnt a single situation in my life that will be improved by me drinking or drugging. I wish everyone the best and want you to know when the pain becomes great enough YOU WILL seek help and if you look for it and ask for it, it is out there. At the end i was more than willing, i was defeated by the using and insanity of what i had become. You will know when you are ready. Thanks for reading, and seriously, GOOD LUCK to all. There is a better world just waiting for all !!!

very uplifting, thanks. i believe i can tell by your post that you have some clean time.I too believe in the 12 step program.Even if your not clean,the only requirement for membership is "a desire to stop using". I just keep showing up,taking in the message of hope and nourishing the good seed. i still have a ways to go, after years(i think 4) of using bupre. im at the end of a 5 month weaning schedule,from 16 mg /day to 1mg . next couple of days are going to be tough but with my Heavenly Fathers(higher power) help and a vision of what can be...TY