When I walked into the hospital, I had no life despite efforts to continue a normal routine, until the time that my back started to bother me, I was a normal, healthy, active person. Several weeks following an examination and MRI, I went in for a surgical evaluation. There I learned the severity of my problem. So, I was told that without spine surgery, my condition would only worsen. Normal everyday things became almost impossible for me, work, social activities, and sports. I know that there will a lot of thins for working out after the surgery, but decided to do it.

Like so many patients, I was simply sick and tired of being sick. Now, at age 47, I have my life back and it is full of things I love to do like deep-sea fishing, jogging and carpentry. You have prepared for dealing with the pain after surgery. I learned self-hypnosis and breathing exercises. I also burned a CD of nature sounds: ocean waves, rain, birds singing, anything that seemed soothing. The combination of pain medicine delivered through my IV and the soothing nature sounds put my mind somewhere other than the hospital. And not once did I feel excruciating pain, even immediately after surgery. Each person's pain tolerance is different but, I don't think I would have fared as well without these simple steps.