Hi, I am 36 male.   About 1.5-2 month ago I started to have chronic diarrhea.   It’s pretty explosives and very immediate.   I went to the reputed gastro doctor who did not discover anything other through tests then Gallstones (in an ultrasound).  Multiple gallstones while the largest one is 6mm, so he recommended that my Gallbladder be removed.

1.    Is it safe to rely on a single ultrasound for gallbladder removal (should I get a second ultrasound) ?  What exactly do I get a second opinion on, the Ultrasound or the recommendation for the surgery?

2.    I am looking this thing up on the internet and I am not seeing that chronic diarrhea is a symptom of gallstones.  (I am a meat eater but I don’t consume more fats then every-one else.)

3.    Why does it say chronic diarrhea after the surgery when I am to have the surgery to cure chronic diarrhea? I am pretty confused at this point. 

Any head’s up?

Thank you.

Hi, Because of my experience, I would say (and this is my personal opinion, not a medical one) that one ultrasound could be enough.   I wound up in the ER, and after just pushing on my abdomen, the doctor told me it was my gallbladder.  They did an ultrasound that night, which confirmed his diagnosis.  The next morning they did something like an MRI, but it had another letter added to it.  But, the first ultrasound confirmed what the dr thought. 

Symptoms vary a lot. After surgery, not everyone has diarrhea.  Some have constipation, and some feel totally normal. I had been in a lot of pain, nauseated, and sometimes throwing up for only about 3 and a-half weeks.  I'm now 12 week post-op and I still have days when I'm really nauseated.  I had both the laproscopic and open surgery, so it's taken a long time for the pain from my incision to lessen.  Luckily, diarrhea is not a problem I've had to deal with.  I lost weight because since I was in the hospital for several days, I had no food for 7 days.  Now I eat pretty much what I want, although I'm learning what is better to eat after having your gallbladder out, hoping to lessen the nausea.  I've gotten down below a hundred pounds and feel very weak.  I try to keep a good attitude and joke about not weighing this low since elementary school.  I am almost resolved to the fact that I may have to just live with the sickness and sometimes pain, for an exended period.

I know what you mean about a lot of information on the internet.  I did the same thing after the surgery.  Before the day I went to the ER, I had no idea why I was in such pain and throwing up.  According to various websites, many people suffer diarrhea after surgery, also many gain a lot of weight.  However, some do not. I did neither.  Something that I have read often is that it may take up to a year to feel better, and even then it could be longer.   I know people who have recovered relativily quickly, and some that took a long time to recover. 

I have been told that gallbladder surgery is hard to get over, but varies by indivuals.  After surgery, assuming you just have it done laproscopically,  you may recover quickly, and have few symptoms.  I hope this helps at least a little bit.  The point I want to convey to you is that symptoms vary before and after gallbladder surgery.  Look online, or ask your dr for a list of foods to avoid, and which ones can be helpful to eat after surgery.  My dr was the one I was given since I went in through the ER.  He was not informative at all.  For example, I asked him if I should avoid fatty foods because that's what I was told.  He said I could eat whatever I could handle.   I have since been seeing a new surgeon and he has taught me so much.  Plus, I've recently got a lot of do's and don't's of food from the internet.  I'm just now trying to implement the changes, hoping it will help me not feel so sick.

Best wishes, and I hope you do well during and after the surgery.  I think my advice would be to not have expectations one way or another.  That way you don't worry.  At least you are doing research before the surgery, so you know the possibilities.  I didn't, and I had no idea what to expect.  But, I have since learned that every case is unique.