I have been in pain from which has been told to me to be a neuroma. After a gullbladder surgery in Oct.07, which could not be done laperscopically, I had to be opened up, I have not been normal in that area since. After many drs and many, many tests, I am done. By that I mean i'm disgusted. I've had CTs, MRIs, lower bowel series xrays, needles pocked in my stomach, endoscopy and colonoscopy all just since Oct 07. with no result other than "you may have a neuroma." Well, the last dr said that a plastic surgeon could be the answer. I've had such bad experiences lately because of the situation and not feeling good and not being able to "live my life" as I normally would, I am just scared to even consider it. I've even had them tell me it's just in my head since i've had a bad surgical experience. so many things went wrong that day, but still something could be done can't it??? i've sat in the last 2 drs offices and just bawled my eyes out hoping someone could understand but I continue to be in pain and not sure about going to another dr. What do I do? What can be done? There is constant stinging, electrical shocking feelings, numbness and soarness in that area still to this day.

I have an abdominal neuroma and I can tell you it is painful! You might want to see a chronic pain physician and ask him about neurotin, topomax or ultram. I am seeing a plastic surgeon in a few weeks to see if he can remove the neuroma. You might want to look into that as well.

Hang in there! I too have burst into tears more times than I care to recall in a doctor's office. Anything they can't easily diagnose they chalk up to being mental. They just seem to want to move you along!!!

MZ NEUROMA,
My surgery was 2.5 years ago 3 yrs. in September.(high pain tolerance indeed!

I am sorry for your pain. I too have the pain you speak of from a abdominalplasty/ hernia repair. Gone through every test. At my wits end I am going into surgery 5/6/08. Tears oh yea.
I have what is called seroma a pocket formed that holds fluid. and several neuromas that have been injected with steroids that ticks off the other ones.

To let you know of drugs that help (came upon quite honestly by accident) WE have lost our Jobs recently and I was prescribed Lorazapam for anxiety. My doctor then gave me something to take the edge of of the abdomen pain and gave me Darvon. I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I have just recently learned that these two drugs are given for long term pain disorders.
I was given Vicodin but prefer not to take it ( feel sick and doesn't relieve this pain). Those two drugs make the pain tolerable.
Let me add that I have researched plenty and found that these are common and troublesome for Drs. and patients quite frequently. Hang in there. :-(

I too had a nueroma after breast reconstruction for 2 years. It was constantly painful and I had every test, gastro, had my gallbladder removed and finally it was determined it was a nueroma. I was referred to a plastic surgeon who cut me open from navel to hip , cut all my nerves and then closed me up without drains or a compression garment. Two days after surgery I begged him for help because of abdominal swelling and asked for a CT or ultrasound to identify the cause of swelling. but he just told me to go to a pain management clinic that he had done all he could. Long story short I had a seroma which burst in the airport and the paramedics had to come. He still would not aspirate it or anything...things went from bad to worse at 5 weeks he stuck a penrose drain in the seroma hole which got infected and the seroma abcessed. Then he did seroma debridement surgery cu open again...and two weeks later I ended up in hospital for one week had sepsis, cellulitis on my entire abdomen and was placed on intense antibiotic IV After a week they sent home with a pic line and a home health nurse who set me up with continued IV daily. Continued to be horribly painful.

The point of telling you all this....be careful what plastic surgeon you choose, mine was inexperienced with nueromas and I traded a neuroma removal for denervation and a horrible seroma. It only required a 1 1/2" incision not cutting me open 10". Please research Dr. Dellon whom I think is in Maryland and he is a very knowledgable surgeon regarding nueromas. I have a case study on a woman who he cured after 4 painful years and they had to detox her after surgery because she had been placed on so much pain medication. Pain meds don't help neuromas.

7 months after surgery for the neuroma and a second surgery for seroma debridement, abcessed seroma, lymph edema...I had to go back to my original breast reconstruction plastic surgeon who performed surgery following mastectomy in 2006 and he had to open me up and redo my entire abdominal wall placating muscles and reinforcing with alloderm. The abdominal wall had weakened from the seroma fluid and my organs were pushing forward. The neuroma was excruciating every minute of everyday, but the doctor who attempted to fix it made things so much worse. I have never known such horrible constant pain.No one knows how bad a neuroma or a seroma can hurt unless they have actually had one.

Look up Dr. Dellon. I tried to attach the case study I have but there is no link, but I can send it as an attachment in an email as a pdf. Good luck, I hope you feel better.

Having endured many of the problems you've all expressed, and without getting into too much detail about it here, may I suggest that you come to Bangkok (Thailand) if you can possibly make it, to Bumrungrad International Hospital

They have the best pain specialist and surgeons that I've ever found, and have saved my life twice in the past 4 years. I have had chronic pain from abdominal surgery for the past 3 years, and the pain specialist I see has it under control and is the most caring and understanding doctor you could ever hope to deal with.

Do a lookup on "Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine" at the website and you'll find the lady I'm referring to - she's really the best in the business. Treatment here is usually about half the cost of what you'll pay anywhere else in the world, is recognized by all health insurers, and all the doctors are internationally qualified. The hospital also has every bit of the latest technology available, and is more like a 6-star hotel than a hospital.

They deal with something like 400,000 international patients each year, so they must have something going for them. And no, I have no affiliation with them at all - I'm just a very grateful patient with ongoing problems that they are gradually fixing for me, and have no hesitation recommending them..

I too have had complications from breast reconstruction surgery in 12-2001 . I have had 3 consequential abdominal surgeries from complications and now suffer 24/7 with abdominal pain from neuroma and adhesions. I have had cortisone injections which offer minimal relief, but in large part I spend most of my days when not working lying on my bed in a fetal position. Thankyou for the reference - I will attempt to contact Dr. Dellon now

How are you today ???? Mine has been a life altering, debilitating, deteriorating condition. I can no longer go for walks, hikes, or even find painting difficult and aggravates my symptoms.

I have had the same painful symptoms since surgery. I have been referred to a pain clinic for injections. I am not sure if this is the way to go. I have researched and found out that a neuroma can be malignant. My days off work are spent with a heating pad on my abdomen.

Was your surgery a success? Wife is in the same situation. If yes, you like surgeon's name. Thanks.

I just had an abdominal neuroma removed and feel so much better

I had gallbladder removed still a lot of pain, another dr went in did exploratory & cut my main pain nerve, a neuroma grew & I was on the floor crying in pain, a cosmetic dr went in fixed the neuroma,that was 2002, now that pain & neuroma is back, I've had 3 rounds of steroids injections still in pain, now I'm going in again different dr & scared, I know this is so painfull

What plastic surgeon are you going to see as I have very familiar sounding pain in my lower left abdomen and would like to be checked out for it . Pain dated from abdominal surgery .