Hello! I had severe toothache pain especially upon chewing. I also felt pain to heat or cold temperatures and I also noticed my tooth darkened a little. My dentist said that a root canal should be done and I did it five days ago. The pain went away but I am still on antibiotics. I noticed yesterday few swollen lymph glands in my neck. Could this be caused by root canals or something else?

Hello! Lymph glands usually get enlarged as the result of viral or bacterial infection. They are fighting the infection and filter out harmful bacteria and viruses from the lymphatic fluid before it is returned to the blood. Lymph glands are very important part of our immune system. Root canals are filled with dental pulp which could become inflamed of infected due to caries or tooth fractures that allow bacteria access to the pulp or the root canals. Tooth pulp tissue is composed of nerve fibers, veins, lymph vessels and connective tissue. Lymph vessels are the connection between swollen lymph glands and root canal treatment. Since you are on antibiotics there is not need to worry, it will take some time for the infection to clear up and the swollen lymph gland will be back to normal in a week or two.