I had a hip replacement In Jan 2008 and would like to go swimming again but the only stroke i am good at is breast stroke will it do any damage to the new hip ?

Hi Wendy
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I am due a hip replacement in a month's time, and like you I can only really do breast stroke. I don't think I have enough time to learn front crawl! XD
How has your recovery been a year on? And are you doing the breast stroke now?
thanks
Jeannie

Curious how your guys experience with swimming breast stroke after your hip replacement. How are you guys doing?

--Nellie

Hi guys, I had a left hip replacement in October 2010. Was told by orthopod that going swimming is ok. Checked with my physiotherapist first. He said freestyle (overarms) ok but not to do breast stroke due to the position of legs when kicking turns them outward from knee and puts you at risk of dislocating the prosthesis. But this depends on whatjavascript:emoticon(';-)'); type of surgery you guys had (side/front approach or older posterior approach) and type of prosthesis. You would be best to check with your own surgeons and physios first. Hope this helps!
Cheers! Marti

I had my left hip replaced in October and today I went swimming for the first time, my consultant advised against breast stroke so I stuck to front crawl, absolutely no pain from my hip at all, just my arms ache. Really pleased with my recovery I am pretty much able to do everything I could do prior to when my pain first started.

I had the left hip replacement 3 weeks ago. Once the sutures are healed,I would like to resume swimming the free style and back stroke at a moderate level. Considering the movements that I was told not to do, I cannot understand how swimming the freestyle and back stroke can do anything but help.

Was wondering if we can not do breast stroke after hip replacement can we do the side stroke. \I so do not like the crawl

I had hip replacement surgery 5 weeks ago. The doctor said stay out of the pool for a month, so I started swimming right after the one month mark. I do the crawl, backstroke, and a modified Brest stroke, using a dolphin kick. So far, so good!