Hi, I am 27 yrs old and have had 4 hip surgeries due to CHD. My first surgery was my 16th birthday (pelvic oesteotomy) one 9 weeks later to "fix" the first one, a femoral oesteotomy @ 21yrs and hardware removal 3 yrs later. I am in a lot of pain if I do anything other than lounge around the house. I started working for the first time 2 yrs ago and although I only do 2 days a week, I had to cut my shifts down to 5 hours because I was having to take painkillers in order to make it through my shift. I normally have to take painkillers after I work or do any extra activities. If I don't take a painkiller, I end up crying because the pain is so bad. For those of you who have had THR, is the pain a lot less once you have the surgery and what kind of lifestyle can you lead? How long will the new joint last and how many times can you have a hip replacement if the previous joint wears out ? Thanks a lot for any responses

I'm 15 and after 13 surgeries to relieve my hip pain I had a THR. About 3 weeks after the operation I had absolutely NO pain and I was able to walk with crutches. I'm 5 months post-op and I've never felt better. From what my doctor tells me, this hip should last somewhere between 15-20 years as long as I don't dislocate it.