What happens to the new hip when one gets infected from a tooth?

A infection in the tooth can cause bacteria to enter the bloodstream and it can possibly to to the site of a prosthesis. It is rare but can happen. Your dentist can advise you on when to take antibiotics.

My Orthopaedist has me take 4 500mg Ammoxicilin before dental visits or any invasive exam like a prostrate check.

Hi Jana,
I am not sure is there any relation here. Your teeth infection is located in your head, and your hip is part of the middle body. If you have an teeth infection you need to treat it as soon as possible, because you will have severe pain. Your best option would be a visit to a dentist so he can prescribe you some antibiotics and pain killers. When did you have new hip? Is everything functioning fine after the procedure? You have to pay attention to your current medication, as I presume that you are taking some because of the hip. The mixture of medication can have adverse effects that you wish to avoid.
Good luck,
Danella

danella wrote:

Hi Jana,
Good luck,
Danella

I am a Registered Dental Hygienist. A mouth infection has everything to do with a failure of a joint replacement. A tooth need not cause pain to be infected. I just had a man from China here who was refused a hip replacement because he had some teeth rotted off to the gumline. He had no pain, but several abscesses and periodontal disease. The infection travels through out your body. The same blood that supplies your teeth and gums travels thru your heart and the bacteria in it lodge to the weakest point. Premedication with antibiotics for a minimum of two years, and sometimes for life is necessary for all dental visits that may cause bleeding.

The so called authorities can' seem to make up their mins, pr-med or not. I have several replaced joints. Over the years the different dentists I've seen either do or don't, which makes me extremely nervous. Friday I wke. Up with a swollen jaw, I suspect a wisdom tooth has gone bad, I can taste the pus. My dentist can't see me until monday and he didn'T presribe the antibiotics I expected. Am I just a little worried? You bet!!!

You are wrong. My orthopedic surgeon just called me in Augmentin due to abcess tooth. Tooth infection seems to work it's way to your prosthesis and can cause major infection. Please dont comment about things unless you know the correct answer.