I have had a hip replacement of the age of 44. I was a former body builder ten years ago and have very large thighs. Prior to my surgery I saw 3 doctors to get an opinion on the pain that was literally bringing me to tears daily. Come to find out it was a broken hip and cracked ball joint most likely from a serious fall down a set of steps about 7 years ago. I had one doctor wanting to complete the surgery from the rear of the thigh because my legs were so large... another wanted to do it from the front. I decided to choose going from the front. Now it's been three months after the surgery. I am experiencing numbness throughout the entire upper portion of my leg and wake up in the middle of the night with my thigh numb but hurts when you apply pressure to it and my toes are stinging. The operation for the first two weeks I was unable to walk a few steps without severe pain. It's been three months now. I have to use a cane to walk and experience pain when walking and some days severe pain. What worries me the most is waking up at night with severe pain and toes stinging. I have consulted with my doctor about this and it seems he gets very defensive about it when I bring it up. I am wondering if perhaps there was a reason one of my doctors recommend going from the rear of the thigh to prevent nerve damage. I am concerned because sometimes my pain is almost as bad as it was before I has the surgery. What do you do now.?

Hi Ts,

Post surgical pain in a procedure as involved as a hip replacement is common.  You may just need more time for the nerves to recover, it takes time.

The other issue that you should have been told prior to surgery is that the replacement may not resolve the pain or increase your mobility - ever.

Often, the doctor/surgeon are reluctant to tell their patients this.  The patient goes in thinking they'll be pain free and have full motion and it usually doesn't happen.

Get another opinion.  That he's getting defensive indicates there may be something behind this pain.

Good luck.

Thank you. I had to call for an emergency visit because my leg was red and hot to the touch Friday. My Dr. seems to think its something with my back instead of my leg. With that said they prescribed amoxicillin 825mg to be taken 2 times per day. I don't think that has anything to do with my back. Its my leg. Always has been. I almost wish I had never had this hip replacement.

Amoxicillin at 825mg x2? They're treating you for an infection.

Apparently so, the nurse said it was otherwise he would have prescribed what im taking. They have not said exactly what it is.... nothing direct and no answers. They don't know what it is other than saying "That's Really Odd" I had to have someone at work snap a photo of my leg and left buttock when it was extremely red around the incision and my upper thigh that wrapped around to my left buttock when I was asked to take it prior to him going into surgery that day. Once they saw the photo they asked me to come in immediately. The doctor made arrangements to see me out of surgery. He still didn't say much about what it is.. he marked the redness with a marker and made arrangements to see me Monday. After Monday the head and assistant surgeon were like we don't know basically.They re-prescribed a bunch of antibiotics and had me go in after hours yesterday to a imaging center for an MRI to scan my leg and then another for my back. About two hours in the MRI. Its a day gone by and yet I have not heard anything back. I really wondering what is going on. Of course tomorrow I'm going to call for the results but really bent out of shape I have to worry about following up on something as serious as it is. Its possible the imaging took a day to process. In the mean time my leg is so irritated just by the slightest touch. It bothers me just sitting at my dispatch job and seems like Im up walking around every hour at work. The mornings waking up really bothers me. I wake up and just sweating all over with severe sweat running down my face while getting ready for work. Its really embarrassing. I have to take a cloth everywhere I go. All of this....I really mean it. I am really tired of it. In the mean time, the nurse (whom I really think cares a lot) has recently trimmed back the pain meds. I have found myself taking the meds just to elevate the pain and irritation over the last month. My whole point in asking for help is 1. I wanted this problem to be fixed when I had my hip surgery and for life to be normal. 2. I did not have this surgery done to create a new problem. 3. I don't want to be on pain meds for the rest of my life just to make it feel like im normal. Its becoming a really big emotional problem and physical problem for me. Im tired. And not only emotionally but physically. What do you suggest? Really. I need some serious help and advice.

The only thing I can suggest is that you continue to push your doctors for answers. You have all the signs of a severe infection. I wouldn't rule out MRSA, a staph infection. Implants CAN provide a path for entry as can being in a hospital or surgical setting. I don't think the MRI alone is the answer. Are they running blood tests?

It wouldn't surprise me to find out you need IV antibiotics. You SHOULD be improving but it clearly sounds as though you ARE NOT. The pain could, is likely, from the infection.

Get another opinion if it is an option

Wish I had more. Keep me posted please and good luck.

Got my mri results in which I had to go get a copy directly from the imaging center. The doc office said they were some concerns but rather discuss in person not the fone. What? Can someone e help me figure out what this really mean? The mri report for my hip says: small volume joint fluid in the left greater than the right . There is minimal signal changes at the bone metal interface adjacent the posterior superior femoral stem in the greater trochanter 4 mm thick decreased on t1 and increased on fluid sensitive seqsequences. There is no abnormality at any other bone metal interfaces There is no soft tissue mass or lesion NO abnormality is evident along the major neurovascular bundles IMPRESSION Minimal signal change is evident the bone-metal interface in the posterior superior greater trochanter, Gruen zone 7, insufficient to loosen hardware and of questionable clinical significance. Trace left hip joint effusion is evident, consider the possibility of an underlying synovitis. What does this mean?

Effusion is increased fluid. Synovitis is an inflammation of the synovium, the lining in the joints. It can indicate arthritis.

The greater trochanter changes can indicate bursitis, an inflammation of the bursa in the hip. It can be caused by overuse or sometimes an an injury..

Something is causing the fluid buildup and inflammation. Hopefully your doctors have some ideas when you talk to them.

Thank you so much. They were previously worried about an infection. I am wondering if this is possible. They did do a complete hip surgey even though I had some really bad teeth. I mean bad teeth. It didnt seem to be a concern before or after and I am hoping it has nothing to do with that. Im in alot of pain --- even touching the leg just slightly stings and sends shivers up my leg and spine. I can walk on it with it irritating me but------i dunno. My appt is in 30 minutes. Really worried about it. Thnaks