So which would you take ?

More sex 'equals $50,000 pay rise'

What will it be, folks more money or more sex?

English economists reckon having more sex can be as beneficial to lifelong happiness as an extra $50,000 in the pocket.

The study, done by no-sex-please-we're-British economists and titled Money, Sex and Happiness: an Empirical Study, said that increasing the frequency of sex from once a month to once a week caused the same amount of happiness as getting a $50,000-a-year pay rise.

Researched by Dartmouth College economics professor David Blanchflower, along with Warwick University's Andrew Oswald, the study took 1990s American data of about 16,000 people and generalised the results for males and females of all ages.

"The most interesting thing this study shows is that money buys happiness, but not as much as you would think," Blanchflower said in his summary.

Sex Therapy New Zealand director Robin Salisbury said she would like to have the money and more sex. "I have worked for clients who are far wealthier than me and I have found that wealth doesn't buy happiness," she said.

"If having sex more frequently means a better relationship then, absolutely, people should have sex more frequently. It certainly fits with my rationale of how important sex is in life."

Lorelai Jones, a retail assistant at Christchurch adult store Peaches and Cream, said sex definitely made her happier. "If I had to make a choice between money and a life-time of orgasms, I'd have to quote the Beatles: 'Money can't buy you love'. You can't take materialistic stuff with you in the end."

MENZ medical doctor Rob Williams said he had no idea how economists could make those calculations, but "certainly $50,000 would put a my smile on my face even if I was celibate".

It seems money is the sweeter temptress.

An unscientific poll on The Press website last night showed that by a wide margin both men and women would choose the cash.

Yes. 8)

Gosh! Lucky!

50k a year raise, no question. The increased sex adds up to an extra 3 times per month, no biggie there. So that's 36 times per year extra. I think you could get a really good prostitute for those 36 times and have plenty of money left over.

/You can't take orgasms with you when you die either.

I'll take the sex. Money can't buy a really good weekend in bed (well maybe it can, but you know it's not real).

Hard to make the mortgage payment with teh sex.
/I'd take the money.

/I'd take the money.
OK, I thought we were presumimg that there was at least a minimal income.
I don't mind having lots of money, but there are other more important things to me.

I took POWER.

With power, you can have all teh money and sex you want...until the serfs rise up....