Hi... Me and my family are struggling with debt and it has started really getting to me. I sat down and added it all up - We're about £50,000 in debt. We were talking and I couldn't cope with it and started crying. For the past couple of years we have just ignored it and now I am paying the minimum payments on my credit cards. In the new year we are going to try and save money, but nothing much will be able to be done until the next year or so when we sell our house (that I've lived in my whole life) and move to a rented place - and even then it would only take off about a quarter of the money I owe. I'm staring to get really stressed about it and in the last few days especially, quite depressed. How can I deal with this so that I can focus on getting out of my situation? Any help is appreciated. James

Hello James, 

the situation you're in is as stressful as it can get. No one with debt with the least bit of self-conciousness wouldn't be stressed and feel depressed - it's an awful situation and you can't fix it instantly. Years of ignoring things are simply caught up with you now, but you need to keep reminding yourself that what's in the past is in the past and there is no changing it. I know the future looks grim right now, but that is where you need to turn to now. Simply, try taking a one positive step each day, even if its something small as putting a quarter in the piggy bank. Now that you know how much in debt you are, try working on a list of things you possibly could save money on. Maybe you have some opportynity for trying to fing some part time job? Things like these will keep you busy and at the same time you'll be focusing on repairing the situation.

You need a clean head, planning and strategy to do that and what I'd recommend you is to try to find an outside help. It could be a clean-headed friend you can confide to or it could be someone from your family. Like i said before - feeling depressed when you're in this situation is a very normal reaction - if you need a few days to get your emotions straight, do just that. But don't let yourself get eaten by these feelings, if they don't pass soon, than it might be better to see your GP and tell what you're going through. Wish you all the best!

In this kind of sitiation you need to take advice from doctor. it could be great problem in feature.