I’m a bit overweight and I’d like to change that. Apart from a new, healthy diet with reduced sugars and fat, I’ve started running. The problem is I don’t know how to pick the right shoes. Is there any difference when choosing a running shoe for an average weighing person and the one with a few extra pounds? What should I pay attention to when buying shoes?

As far as I know, there are no differences when buying shoes for a weighty runner. You need a stability shoe with decent cushioning to prevent you from injuries by good shock absorption. An average running shoe is created to endure two and half times your weight. More important for you is to make a wet test to see what kind of foot you have – normal, flat or high-arched and after that pick your shoe according to that. You should bear in mind that if your weight is excessive, then you will have to change your shoes more frequently. When you notice that they have lost their shape and that they’re not comfortable as they used to be, buy a new pair.

There are different shoes for different weights of runners. Or smoe are more suitable than others. There are sites out there to guide you to teh right shoes.

For example see www.shoeguide.co.uk which does a search function that allows you to find shoes for your weight.