Hi, I'm 16 and female and for the past 2 weeks I've been nauseous for hours everyday, usually getting worse when I'm laying in bed at night. I've had problems with an unsteady appetite for years, always caused by me feeling full for no apparent reason or feeling full after relatively small portions of food. I am obviously underweight and think there may be an underlying cause for this, or something causing me to lose my appetite. (I'd like to point out that I'm not anorexic or bulimic, and no matter how full I feel I do eat 3 meals everyday, and that there are episodes where my appetite returns and I can eat properly for my age). For the past 2-3 years every morning when I wake up I'm nauseous, accompanied by loss of appetite, however lately this feeling seems to be carrying on throughout the day. For the past week or so, I've also been getting pains in most areas of my abdomen and even my lower back, though most of the pain is around my stomach (just below the breastbone) and in the upper right abdomen. The majority of the abdomen is also tender to the touch, and also feels quite hard. I've been to see my GP, but she's convinced that I'm bulimic and that my low weight is caused by this, and has prescribed me lansoprazole to reduce the intestinal damage caused by lack of food and excess stomach acid, and I've also done a blood test to check for anaemia (the results haven't returned yet though). Could there be any other cause of this pain and nausea that isn't from anorexia or lack of food, because I feel my GP thinks I eat a lot less than I actually do. Also, my stool has become a lot softer in the past 2 months and hasn't returned to it's normal state, if that information helps... Thanks for any help in advance :)

It's a safe bet that you're gluten intolerant, if not the far end of the spectrum called 'celiac disease'.  It's not really a disease, it's just that A.  gluten is an inflammatory agent and B. your body does't deal with it very well at all.  Eating gluten is like swallowing gasoline...it's a bad idea.  Worse for some than others.

You have described classic symptoms of gluten intolerance : bowel pain, nausea, underweight (possible under-sized too), loose stool, bloating/hard abdomen, etc.

Check out the gluten intolerance pages on www.easy-immune-health.com

Also, get your Vitamin D level tested, and then get your level to up between 50-80 ng/ml.

You could get 'tested' by a doctor for gluten intolerance/celiac, but the tests are notoriously inaccurate. One great way to test yourself is to go off of ALL gluten for 2 months, and then have a pizza and see how it makes you feel.  If your gut health is bad due to the chronic inflammation/irritation of yoru gut and you have 'leaky gut' or ulceration, then -just- going off gluten may or may not reduce symptoms (but it should)

If you are anemic, anemia is CAUSED, so you would need to eliminate the cause.

There are some more worse case scenario's possible, but as you're already being seen by a doctor that would hopefully have ruled those out, start with what's easy.  NO gluten for a full 60 days.  No wheat, no pasta, no bread, no crackers with wheat, no products with wheat or gluten in them, no msg.  Might as well avoid any processed foods as processed foods have far less nutrition than 'real' food, and right now you need all the nutrition you can get.

Ahh thank you for your response, it definitely has helped - I'd suspected a possible gluten intolerance but haven't brought it up with my GP yet, I'm planning to when my blood results return though. Is dysphagia also somehow related to this? I've had mild discomfort with swallowing for a while, but this morning it became a lot more noticeable... Anyway, if things don't seem to be progressing with the GP then I plan to try going gluten free pretty soon, thanks :)

It depends on if you just have a sore/swollen throat, or if you have actual neurological dysphagia. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Out of curiousity, why would you want to try eliminating gluten? It's like you're swallowing gasoline every day, but then you're going to keep drinking gasoline until you talk to your doctor.

Well I can't be sure, it's definitely sore, and food seems to get stuck there often.

I've heard elsewhere that it's best to stay on a gluten diet until tests are done, as the tests look for anti-gluten antibodies only present when the diet contains gluten. I've done the coeliac screen by the way, which turned out negative. I've also got the results back for all my blood tests, nothing of which came back abnormal, including vitamin D levels and calcium, which were within the expected range. The only things to note were the fact that my cholesterol level was towards the upper band, and that my albumin was above average, which my doctor said was a good thing. She was pretty surprised about it though, as she was almost sure I had vitamin deficiencies of some sort.

Anyway, I've already started the gluten free diet, but I think it's too soon to see any results.

Tests for gluten intolerance are notoriously unreliable. Celicac tests are more reliable, but a negative doesn't mean that one isn't intolerant of gluten.

Is your Vitamin D between 60-80ng/ml? Or 40-60 ng/ml? If it's lower than 40, it's too low, despite the hospital world's belief that lower levels are 'fine'.