I am a 43 yo male,non smoker, non drinker with some strange symptoms. I was diagnosed 8 years ago with a Hiatal Hernia and acid reflux. Been on and off nexium and prevacid for years and its been mostly under control with the exception of a flare up now and again. Since about Christmas of 2006, I have been extremely gassy on and off with a lot of stomach gurgling and an occasional excruciating gas pain. My bowel movements went from every other day to every 3 or 4 days and when I do go at that time, its about 5 -7 movements in a row almost like I am emptying out yet they are not usually painful.Yet I never feel like I have to go and can't and there is never an "unfinished" feeling when I am done. I have cut back somewhat on my food intake to calm the hernia. I have had a pain in the upper left side of my abdomen right at my ribcage which at times seems to go under my ribs and breastbone. The pain is mostly a dull ache like someone pressing their knuckle into my stomach or like I swallowed a ping pong ball. Sometimes it even feels like a runners "side stitich" but is way more of a discomfort that an actual "ouch". Some days it moves to the upper right side and ribs. Some days it is dead center below the breast plate. Some days it is not there at all and I feel absolutely fine. Sometimes it alomst feels muscular yet only hurts mildly during movement. Its no better or worse with eating or bowel movements.I have been experiencing some weird itching sensations and sudden "burning stingers"on my abdomen and upper back. I dont know if its related to the sudden stomach issues or not. There has been no drastic dietary changes lately, no nasuea or vomiting, no weight loss, my appetite is fine and there is no blood in my stool. I have been under a great deal of stress over the last 18 months culminating with the loss of a family member 4 months ago. Docs dont seem overly concerned and are leading towards an ulcer, IBS or a stress related issue as a possibilty. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy on 3/15. Blood work 6 months ago was text book perfect. Any thoughts?

For anyone reading my previous post and were curious, results of both scopes and tests showed all was perfect and Docs are diagnosing as IBS. Symptoms have subsided drastically and I am starting to think that 50% of the symptoms was stressing over the symptoms.

I was also suffering similar symptoms and after many tests diagnosed with IBS. Many years later, I cut all Gluten out of my diet and all my symptoms went away. I was strict for 3 years, even lost 33 lbs. Gradually I went back to eating gluten and now I am back to all the pain. About to get strict for good. It is not easy, as gluten is hidden in so many things. It may be worth a try for you, though. I was able to get off the meds when I was eating right.

Before I found this I would have described the pain as a "stone" in my upper stomache. Thanks so much for posting your follow up! It will help me self-diagnose or (worse case) point my doc in possible best direction

glad to hear everything was normal!

Hi
I am having the same similar symptoms currently.. when i press just below my sternum( uppera abdomen center) it is tender if i press longer the pain relieves and then when i pull my finger away.. the pain comes back as i release. I can also feel it when i do certan movements or put pressure on it. It started maybe a year or so ago.. on and off. NOw its just on and feels like its getting worse. When i my stomack is empty i feels a bit better, i think its caues there is no pressure from the stomack. It bothers me alot and stressed me out a bit. I know if i go to the dr. he will say its cuase i work out.. but i know the pain he will automatically assume it is. But i know its not from working out. I have never had any problems with food allergies untill recently ..bacame allergic to shell fish. What should i do.. go to the doctors anyway?
Any ideas of what it may be, does anyone else felt the same as my pain description?

thanks for yoru help

Yes, same exact symptoms..."when i press just below my sternum( uppera abdomen center) it is tender if i press longer the pain relieves"...Just below my sternum it feels like there is a little ball of stress just creating a constant, dull pain and only is relieved if I push right below my rib cage in middle. Also a very stressed, anxious person (Female, age 31, otherwise in good health, non-smoker). Just glad others have the same symptoms and I'm not crazy.

I have the same issues, age 37. I was diagnosed with hplori and peptic ulcers. Its a dull burning ache. Goes away, comes back...eating and not eating. I took antibiotics, on antacids. I have had an ultrasound and blood test. Both turned out fine outside of hplori, low vitamin D, and peptic ulcers. It's horrible.

To anyone who has been diagnosed with IBS PLEASE beware. I was diagnosed with this as well. After years of suffering thinkng I had IBS I went to a new doctor who was a GI and he did scopes on me and I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease and spent many weeks hospitalized and had a huge amount of my bowel removed. So please if your syptoms dont go away then maybe you have CD just dont stop eating gluten because you have to be eating it for it to show up on the scope. Please email me with any questions you may have. I was diagnosed in 2005

Thanks
Sherri
***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I had horrible pain about a year ago. I thought I was passing a stone but didn't have a gallbladder anymore. Taken out years before. I ended up in the ER three times and was sick, sick, sick for almost three months. Pain in the stomach area, acid reflux, night sweats, cramps in my feet, legs, and then hands. I had no energy. I couldn't eat anything because it would hurt. I was put on antibiotics when they finally found a stomach infection. But even after the antibiotics the pain lasted. I was finally sent to a phychologist because the doctor said it was all in my head...like I wanted to feel horrible and be in pain...So I started searching and searching the web and found a site that helped so much I couldn't beleive it. If you want, take a look at the site. I am not kidding when I say that following her advice gave me releif in 24 hours and by the end of the week I was off any antacids, pain killers, etc. ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I am happy to have found this post! After a month of searching for anyone else that has been going through what I currently am, I come across this thread. It all started for me over a month ago. The occurrences were always made worse at work (I am a machinist, so I do a lot of bending/stooping/lifting). It hasn't been terrible by any means, but it is very annoying. Acid reflux (which I got under control with the 14 day prilosec otc treatment), the SAME pain that feels dull and much like a runner's stitch in my upper abdomen in my left ribs and sometimes my right ribs, the weird itch, occasional bloating, etc. I even had increased belching for quite a while, but that seems to be returning to normal. I used to feel an oddd, pressure like feeling right under my sternum, but that went away after the prilosec and have not experienced it since. My appetite is fine, I have no tarry/bloody stools, no nausea/vomiting, no fatigue, etc. I have a physical scheduled on May 2nd, so I hope to get some answers then. Hopefully the doctor doesn't just sweep this aside because of my age (28). I really want some answers.

what is the name of the site you found

Is there any way you can tell me how to get to this site? These are my exact symptoms. I made two trips to the ER over the Christmas holidays and am desperate for some help. My GI first diagnosed IBS, then GERD. I have been prescribed every kind of anti-acid reflux medicine there is, had countless tests but nothing has helped. The moderator has removed the website. I am at my breaking point....is there ANY way I can have the contact information for this person:???

No, you can't.

I have this same sensation and it is not going away? What are the treatments that were received? I have had this fo rover 2 years now, it gets worse when I am in bed trying to sleep. My stomach starts gurgling and sometimes it is extremely painful. I have cut gluten from my diet, and this does not seem to help at all. Could I be lactose intolerant? The pain is also accompanied with back pains, when I am bed it feels like there is movement in my back. This whole thing is creeping me out.. Its so hard to sleep. Should I have a colonoscopy?  

Cheers~