A year and a half ago i began feeling pain after i started eating it would be sharp pain and on the upper right side of my stomach this happened many times during the first few months then after a few months the pain would come back and be more persistent. After a while i began noticing that after any liquid or food consumption and movement such as walking the pain would start again and i would become so unbearable i soon found i couldn't move after eating/ drinking any more. New symptoms showed up i had intolerance to alcohol a few sips would make me tipsy then i found after eating meals or liquids i would throw up. I soon developed a fear to eating as i was so scared of getting sick every time i ate. This went on for about a year doctor to doctor i thought i was going insane until i set about on the net and found my diagnoses and ordered a ct scan for it . This rare illness i was diagnosed with was called SMA SYNDROME (superior mesenteric artery syndrome) this syndrome is where the fat between superior mesenteric artery and your duodenum is lost and the artery applies pressure onto your duodenum and prevents the food passing thru your digestive system properly . This illness is so rare that despite going to many doctors having every test and scan and so many specialists nobody heard about it or even picked up on my problem. When i had the scan results in my hot little hand saying i had the illness still no doctor or specialist would diagnose me with it. A gruelling 18 months past until i found a doctor in australia to diagnose me with it. this condition is sadly with you for life and there is no cure. I did have surgery 1 month ago to help with the pain but i have found that the pain is still there this is due to my illness going unnoticed for far to long and my organs unable to operate the same as before.

The reason i am writing this is to make many of you aware that if you to have these symptoms and have been diagnosed incorrectly with anorexia, IBS, stomach ulcer or anything else that just doesn't seem to fit your symptoms please pursue smas it could save your life. Sadly 1 in 3 people with sma die due to it being undiagnosed the malnutrition caused by the constant weight loss from throwing up, fear of food due to the pain. Sma that is prolonged for long periods of times tends to have a negative effect on your organs. To this day there is no answers to what causes sma or who it effects. But what we do know is that far to many people are incorrectly diagnosed and go un helped and unanswered for far to long. support groups are the only thing that keeps me sane as my life is defiantly not the same since i got sick iv had to quit my job my studies and iv lost alot of my social life as i have been to sick to go out. Please pursue your health no matter what you have dont settle for an unexplained diagnoses 

Symptoms:

nauseas/ vomiting

"stabbing" pain after eating/ drinking

weight loss

fear of food

below i have added some links:

SMA syndrome info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_mesenteric_artery_syndrome

Facebook support for smas (if diagnosed ) :http://www.facebook.com/groups/170641319067/

please any questions post a reply and im happy to help.

thanks posting this,i too have sma and had the surgery and still no relief. have more issues since surgery even.  id like to talk to u possible about sma.thanks

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hey sorry never look on here thats totally fine, would love to talk