I am 27, considering a medical abortion after visiting the local Choice Medical Group clinic. Its been 6 weeks since my LMP but the urine test at the clinic came negative, while a blood test came positive. The ultrasound also showed nothing. Why would it be so? Could it be that its still too early to see anything through the ultrasound? Also, why is it so difficult to find a OB-GYN in California willing to see me when I tell them I intend to terminate my pregnancy?

Unfortunately, many OBGYNS just do not want to deal with women that are considering abortion.

They may be personally against it, or just not wish to take on your case.

Sometimes 6 weeks can be too early to see anything on a U/S, usually that timing is just about right.

Do you have another appt for a u/s?

I personally prefer surgical abortion, it is over in 5 minutes, and the IV sedation makes it painless. The bleeding is also much less severe than with medical abortion.

Thank you so much for your response! The last U/S was last Thursday at 5 weeks. I have one scheduled tomorrow again. Hope to get something conclusive.

Some u/s machines are more sensitive or advanced than others, and the same goes for the u/s technician..My clinic performs abortions at 5 weeks, and we have a great u/s machien that is pretty good for early detection.

Pregnancies at 5 weeks are so tiny though, that it is normal for them to not show up really well until 6 weeks.