I wanted to share my recent experience concerning my abortion. In March I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant; this pregnancy was a complete shock as it was totally un-planned for as I had been using contraception. Regardless of being on the pill I still fell pregnant. For various personal reasons I could not keep the baby and decided to have a termination. It was an extremely difficult decision to make but based on my situation and circumstances I had no other choice. I went to a private clinic and they told me they would carry out the termination at 6 weeks. I was an emotional mess that whole week, crying, sad, depressed and confused. I also had strong pregnancy symptoms such a nausea, breast tenderness and felt very tired. I attended the clinic a week later and really broke down in front of the nurse. I had so many feelings of guilt and sadness overcome me at that time, especially seeing other women around me in the same position. I went ahead and had a surgical abortion (I was put to sleep) during the procedure.
Afterwards the doctors confirmed everything went fine and I was sent home after 3 hours. For a week I had period like cramps in my lower abdomen on and off, and bled only very lightly for 2 days and after that had no bleeding at all. A week had gone by and I noticed my pregnancy symptoms were not going away, instead they had become stronger! My breasts were killing me, nausea was strong and my body was aching. I felt tired and exhausted all the time and my headaches wouldn't go away. I did a pregancy test (2 weeks after my termination) and it was showing a strong positive. I rang the clinic frantically and the nurse explained it was normal for pregnancy tests to show positive for up to 4 weeks after a termination. I still wasn't satisfied and insisted on having a check up. The clinic does not normally carry out checks on surgical abortions, only on women who have a medical abortion. However I went to the clinic a few days later for my check up and explained to the nurse how I felt. She said it was normal as it takes time for pregnancy hormones to go down. However she then carried out a vaginal ultrasound scan and to my shock and horror she confirmed I was still pregnant!! My pregnancy was now 8 weeks and 4 days. I was devastated and the nurse was really shocked.
Within the hour the clinic re-admitted me and carried out another surgical abortion to get rid of the pregnancy. This completely messed my mind up and I cried in the theatre room before the procedure, as soon as I woke up and whilst I was in recovery. It's been a week since the second termination and I feel like an emotional wreck. I have lost sleep, have had several panic attacks and can't stop thinking about the abortion. I can't bare to look at pregnant women or babies, as it mentally does my head in. My body feels traumatised as I have had to go through 2 procedures within 4 weeks.
I know it happens in rare cases and maybe I just got unlucky. But the truth is, even surgical abortions can fail and I'm a prime example. If you are considering having a surgical abortion I think it's best to wait until your 7 weeks plus, as anytime sooner than that the pregnancy can be missed as its very small at 5/6 weeks. Since the second termination my nausea has gone and I don't feel tired anymore. My breasts do not feel as tender and my stomach cramps have gone. I did bleed for 2 days following the abortion and had moderate but bearable cramps for 3 days which have gone. Physically I feel better but emotionally I admit I have been badly affected by having an abortion and this is something I did not mentally prepare myself for. It is an extremely difficult decision to make and not easy to overcome afterwards. All women are different and experience different physical and emotional problems and whatever you decide I hope it goes well for you.
I'm wondering if anyone else was ever in this postion??

Hi Honey! I have not been in this position, but wanted to add my 2 cents! I am really thinking that you might have had a twin pregnancy -as another lady I have helped on here did too! And when they did the suction on the 1st procedure it went as planned - because of it stopping that pregnnacy - BUT that is why you HCG levels were SO heigh - becasue it was twins - and under 1 baby your HCG levels would not have neen so high at 6 weeks! Just know this OK? If it was twins - I doubt the 2nd fetus woud have survieved such trauma! And you would have had a miscarriage! Selective Choicing can be done safely - because your pelvis is being ultrasounded while doing it! From the sounds of it they did NOT do this with the 1st procedure! So just remember twins or only 1 - you HAD to do what you HAD to do! Period! And I inow it's hard, BUT you did was was best and NO one can tell you differently! God bless honey and I'm sending you out a BIG hug!

Hi Bambi

Thank you so much for your advice, kind words and support. I think you may be right. I am a twin myself and there are many twins that run in my family. I did tell the doctor it's what I suspected but they were not giving me a positive or clear answer. The nurse said it could have been a high possibility. Whatever it is, it still hurts when I think about it. Even more so thinking I had to abort two babies and not one. The only person who knew about my pregnancy was my boyfriend and thats it. I have not been able to share my secret and pain with anyone thats why I came on this site. Your words have made me feel abit better and so has your hug. thank you!

Had the same experience, I was 6 weeks when I had got the surgical abortion but I didn't know that it failed until I wuz 13 weeks, since I was so far along I jus. Decided to keep the baby

hi i had a surgical abortion 2 weeks ago. and i think i might still be pregnant. i feel so bad about having the abortion and i wish i never would have done it. i think because i want to be pregnant so bad that i tricked myself into thinking that i am still pregnant. i wanted to ask how did you find out that you were still pregnant??? my stomach is hard and growing and i am always so tired and sleepy. i just want to know if i'm still pregnant or not????

Hi honey! With a surgical abortion they would have used a doppler - ultrasound - to make sure that ALL was taken! What I would like you to do is take a home pregnancy test! IF something is wonky, the HPT will show IF you are still pregnant or not! I REALLY don't think you are honey, and more so about wanting to be! I am a bit concerned about the chance of infection with your stomach and being tired! BUT I do want you to find out!

Another thing honey! WE are NOT in your life, so NO ONE has the right to tell you what you should or shouldn't have done! You had an abortion because you NEEDED to at the time! And I will tell you what I have told others in your position! Just because you have had an abortion doies NOT mean you are not mourning your loss! So I think it is a VERY good idea to go to counselling for this! You are beating yourself up for something that probbaly needed to be done! Either Adoption or Abortion is one of the hardest decisions a woman will have to make and NOT taken lightley! So respect and love yourself enough to know that you HAD to do what you needed to do! You are a human being and of course will have harsh feeling about this! BUT you CANT hate yourself for it honey! So get some help OK? BIG HUGS!

anonymous wrote:

Have you had your baby yet? And is it ok?

I also had a failed surgical abortion. I had the abortion at 5 weeks 4 days, it really wasn't an easy decision. I chose the surgical abortion because from everything I read online it seemed more effective (99%) and the recovery time was much quicker. A lot of women said they were ready to return to their normal routines in 2-3 days.
Well, mine didn't go quite as well. After the abortion I had a lot of emotion distress and something just didn't seem right. I still had a lot of the same pregnancy symptoms. I was extremely fatigued,to the point where I went grocery shopping and I wanted to take a nap, my breast actually seemed like they were getting larger, the thought of certain foods made me nauseous. I also thought it was strange I barely bled after the procedure. I had some light brown spotting for 2 days, but they was it.
For the first week afterwards, I could barely get out of bed or off the couch. I attributed some of it to the emotional distress I was feeling and thought maybe that's where some of my symptoms were coming from.

When I called to schedule my 2 week follow up appointment I spoke with a nurse telling her some of my concerns and she acted as though it could be normal, which I'm sure it could be. I just knew something was wrong though. I went into the clinic and the pelvic exam was extremely uncomfortable then he requested an ultrasound. I still tried to be optimistic. During the ultrasound he seemed extra focused and it took a lot longer than the first time I got one. Then he asked me to get dressed and he would speak to me after words.

Well, it turned out the reason I was still experiencing pregnancy symptoms was because I was still pregnant. I was horrified. I told myself I would never go through the procedure again but now I really don't have a choice at this point. He said the embryo was gone, but the rest of the tissue was there continuing to grow and produce hormones. So now I was 6 weeks 7 days. Unfortunately, I couldn't have the procedure that day. I'm supposed to go back in a couple of days and I'm terrified. Everyone at the clinic is so nice and understanding. I just still have have flash backs of the first time. I can't focus on anything, I feel miserable. I've always been pro-choice, but I can't help but feel guilt especially having to go back again.

I never wanted this to happen, my boyfriend and I had an "oops" night and I took the morning after pill literally 6 hours afterwards, then I went with the more effective procedure but here I am still pregnant. Crazy how life works sometimes.

If anyone went through this and has advice on how to get through this, please post a reply.

notalone22 
I know im too late to reply for any sort of advice but i would like to let you know i feel the pain you would have had to go through, the felling of having to do something you really don't want to but in your case really had to!
I hope that everything worked out for you, i hope you had the support you needed in your situation, i wish i had of seen your post earlier , i would have told you to be strong and try not to think to much i know easier said than done!
Please take care and i send you all my love (o: 

hi,
I just want to say something. I have always been against abortion. I could never imagine someone killing a baby for their own selfish reasons. But after reading you guys posts, the way I view the women who make the decision to get an abortion has changed. You guys clearly really cared about your baby, and most of you didnt want to even get it done but had to. I know this has nothing to do with what yall are talking about, but I just had to throw that out there.

I have a similar story to yours. I just had the second procedure done 7 days after the first one and I was 6 weeks, I was told I would have miscarried anyway since it wasnt developing normally which doesnt make me feel any better. I'm now in day 6 after the second one and I'm still bleeding and having pains. It feels like every tv show and advertisement or whatever has to do with babies so there are constant reminders around me about what I just went through. You are not alone and I totally feel you. I felt like the universe dealt me a sh*t hand in being one of the rare cases and it is doubly traumatizing to go through the procedure twice.

I just had one today, and it hurt like hell. They calculated me at being about 5 weeks. I good not stop scrumming during the procedure. well she looked at the specimen and could not see anything afterwards but looked at the ultrasound and did not see anything either. Just as a precaution they took some blood and told me to come back this Saturday for anything blood test to see if my hormone levels had dropped. I almost started to take the pill because I was not very far along, now I am freaking out and depressed as hell.

I think i might be in this position as i had a surgical termination over 4 weeks ago and i was only 5 weeks, my tests are still showing positive.

I had a surgical abortion 2 days ago,(thursday, 8th) I was told all went well when I woke up, but I had very little bleeding and no cramps. I only really started bleeding Friday evening, but still no cramping. I feel very tired and emotional all the time, I don't know if this is normal after an abortion, or if I have tissue still left over. I know it's too early after the procedure to worry about anything, but I think it's really getting me down, especially since only myself and boyfriend knows about the termination and he only seems to be able to talk about it after he's had a drink, so I feel quite on my own. Any help, advice or post-termination stories are welcome

Im about to undergo a surgical abortion in 4 days Im about 4 weeks but the lady at the clininc said everything should go well  but after reading ur guys post it kinda scares me that it might not work and i really can not keep the baby im in bump in my life right now !! And I dont know to much about the medical abortion from my experinces with medication I dont trust pills .. But i can tell you guys one thing the plan b morning after pill does not work at all if you do not want a baby use protection and dont waste your money on the plan b it really does not work I myself and 10 others has become pregnant after using the medication :(