I bought new underwear and after a couple of days I began to itch around my waist, under my arms, my head. I wonder if I am allergic to the new
underwear which is 90% acrylic. I immediately bathed and went back to
my all cotton underwear. Could I have an allergy to acrylic?

Hi There,

I don’t know if you have had anything made of acrylic earlier before the underwear that you just bought? If you are allergic to this you have noticed that something is wrong much earlier if you have worn anything that had acrylic in it. I think that this might be something else. Have you tested your self on allergies? I think that you should see your doctor in order to see if he can find the right cause of the rash and itchiness on your skin. How long has this been lasting? I hope that you will be able to get rid of the rash and that this helped you in any way.

All the best,

Danella

I know these dates are so far apart that the previous posters probably wont look at it again, but for future viewers, I just read on Wikipedia that acrylic textiles can cause irritation if there is a pre-existing skin condition such as ecsema or psoriasis.  It may be a reaction to the dyes or cleaning products and not the material itself, therefore if the irritation is experienced, make sure to cover all possible causes.