Hi, I'm 21 years old and had my tonsils taken out six days ago. The pain seems to be getting worse rather than better, and I'm not entirely sure how my throat is supposed to feel or look by this stage. The doctors were vague and didn't tell me anything - all I know is that the back of my throat is entirely white/pale green, apart from my ulvula (if thats how you spell it) which is swollen and red in the middle.
I've read that scabs form in the throat a couple of days after the op and that this causes a lot of pain. What do these scabs look like? My throat doesnt look like it has conventional 'scabs' just white tissue in my throat. I'm a bit worried that it is not healing properly - although it doesnt seem infected, nothing seems to be shifting whats in my throat, no matter what scratchy food I try to swallow.

Sorry for the gross details, I just wondered if anybody can help me, or put my mind at ease...?

I'm on day 4 and my throat looks the same... I don't think i have any scabs yet either.. but noone else has replyed soo not sure?? sooo scared for what lies ahead o.O

I had my surgery on Nov 20th and it sounds like you are at the same situation I was at at day 6. Back of the throat was covered in a palish white sort of puss-like looking material. It didn't look like a traditional scab. Dr. told me pain would increase after day 3 and should start to subside after Day 6 or so, not the case as everyone heals differently. I was in mild pain (2-3 on a scale of 1-10) in the first 3 days, then it increased to 5-6 on days 4-7 and on days 8-11 it went up again to a 7-8 as I almost went to the ER because I couldn't even swallow water. It took me an hour to get a half of a glass down and I was becoming dehydrated. But I warmed up water and found that I could stand that luke warm (8-10 oz glass at 20-30 secs in the microwave) much better than cold water. Once I was able to start drinking water again, the pain started to go away at or around day 11.

My DR. said only be concerned about two major things: dehydration and coughing up more than a tablespoon of blood.

It's hard to swallow, but even harder if you don't, sort of a catch 22. Don't fall behind on your water, plus gatorade. Although the sodium levels in the gatorade seemed to irritate me.

Coughing up blood is natural, but if you are coughing up mroe than a tablespoon or it is constant flow, your scab might have burst and you may need to seek medical attention.

I can't promise you how you will recover, but I will tell you on day 11 I thought it was the end of the world, but the next morning I felt significantly better, so it can turn on a dime.