I WENT FOR A SMEAR TEST AND I RECIEVED A LETTER SAYING MY SMEAR TEST SAYS I HAVE NUCLEAR ABNORMALITIES o.O AND I HAVE TO GO FOR A COLOSCOPY .CAN ANYONE TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT A COLOSCOPY IS AND WHAT IT INVOLVES AND WHAT NUCLEAR ABNORMALITIES ARE. VONNIE :'(

hey vonnie,

A Coloscopy is a test used to view the inside of the rectum and colon hence the name colo (colon) scopy (scope) it is a long tube which contains a fiber optic camera and small ports for introducing instuments through. coloscopy looks for any abmnormalities inside the large intestines such as polyps (abnormal growths) , bleeding, divurticuli ect.

This brings up the next question nuclear abnormalities....... nuclear abnormalities can be a wide array of deformations if the nucleous. typically they are tumor producing cells. certian deformations of the nucleaus (which is the dark center of a cell in your case epithelial cells) and abnormalities usually means there are several nucli in one cell instead of only one or the nuclie are misshappen.

some viruses can also cause nuclear abnormalites. Im not sure but your doctor probably wants you to get a coloscopy to make sure you dont have any tumors in your colon and if there are any he can remove them with the coloscope.

this is not to alarm you just informing you but dont wait to get it because if you do have something serious such as cancer or an infection the earlier you catch it the better your chances are to treat it......
I hope this helps some and if you have any more questions or concerns don't hessitate to ask. 8)

OMG!! The question was for information about a COLPOSCOPY not a COLONOSCOPY.

And if they want to look in your butt for a vagina issue, I woud look for another doctor.

PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS AND GOOGLE THE CORRECT WORD: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Colonoscopy - Few definations.

1) Examination of the colon with a colonoscope. Also called coloscopy.
2) Inspection of the interior surface of the colon with a flexible endoscope that is equipped to obtain tissue samples and inserted through the rectum.
[ref: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/colonoscopy]

There are few things that is good to know before doing Colonoscopy.
1) What is colonoscopy?
2) What are the colon and rectum?
3) How to Prepare for a Colonoscopy?
4) How is colonoscopy a performed?
5) Removal of Polyps and Biopsy
6) Recovery & Sustainability
7) At what age should routine colonoscopy begin?

You can refer to ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed to know more about this.

Colonoscopy usually takes 30 to 60 minutes.