I just had surgery on Tuesday, really right now I am dying, it seems like I need more op, I was at doctor today, he said it will be ok, that I need time, but really I can't be able to start work on Monday,

You need at least a weeks, maybe more, time for recovery and some strong painkillers. Don't forget lots of liquids, Metamucil and stool softeners. It will get better, honest.

I had this procedure done last Wednesday I have since been in hospital omg pain unbearable especially BM I'm on all medd that they can give me the pressure is awful would rather have a baby over and over,my stomach is doing somersault I'm on the toilet all the time and only little movement which is still awful I'm frightened to go and so exhausted never would I have gone through with it if I knew it was this bad

Hi... I had my surgery 14 days ago... the pain really wasn't that bad even during bm...just uncomfortable for me that's all... my question to people that have had it done.. when having a bm when did the blood stop being in the poo?

Is anyone experiencing burning, stinging, stabbing pains
3 months after hemorrhoid surgery. Comes and goes. But when it comes make me wanna jump out of my skin. Very excruciating pain. Can't sit or lay down very long in certain positions. I don't know what to do. Been back to the doctor twice. He keep saying everything appear fine. But I'm still in pain.

I'm day 4 post staple haemarrhoidectomy. I finally decided to rid myself of a grade 3 haemarrhoid that has been making my life a misery for the past 32 years. I'm in extreme pain at the moment. I was very comfortable Post surgery while still in hospital. Must have been still enjoying the IV pain relief going through my system. However, on discharge and back home, it has been hell. The pain I feel is what the poster above is experiencing as Chronic pain (possibly proctalgia). I have a continuous deep seated pain in the rectum/anal region with spasms of pricking /stabbing pain akin to an anal fissure (which I've had too in the past). Except that the sharp pain lasts for ages and has been waking me up during the little sleep I've had over the past three nights. During these "attacks" I'm besides myself, sweating and wanting to pass out. In between, it's a constant gnawing pain. I'm not constipated or impacted (surgeon though I was). I've had 3 Fleet enemas and an oral bowel prep since discharge and there is nothing left in my bowel. No position affords me any relief and the warm baths provides me with minor relief. But I'll take was I can. I managed 45 min sleep in the bath 2 nights ago after being awake for 48 hours. I'm soooo exhausted with no end in sight. I'm on oxycodon but am fearful of becoming constipated. I'm not even sure this drug is making any difference. The surgeon has given me 2 weeks of sick leave and my work will grant me more if needed.

For similar pain, my doc told me not to fool around and to take 2 oxy every 4 or 5 hours, it was still bad, but I got some sleep. Used Metamucil and when I did get constipated drank it with miralax or restoralax, which worked for me. I did get somewhat addicted to the pain killers, but gradually stopped taking them. Ask your doc, you need more pain meds or you are gonna want to kill yourself, you can't continue like this. By the way, it will get better!!!

Did you had a laser surgery ? If so then the swelling will reduce eventually. Apply anaesthesial jelly to reduce pain. More over if you had a traditional surgery them wait for it, but you can use the jelly. Improvement will take place slowly have patience and bed rest.

I just had my surgery 6 days ago, the pain is out of control. I can only urinate in the bath tub, and I can not have a BM. I can't sit. I can not eat because I feel nauseous. . I have been drinking a lot of fluids, I take stool softeners nothing is helping.. I don't want to take my pain meds because the constipate me even more... please if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. ..

I posted this previously and it does apply to you, so I have copied and pasted.

For similar pain, my doc told me not to fool around and to take 2 oxy every 4 or 5 hours, it was still bad, but I got some sleep. Used Metamucil and when I did get constipated drank it with miralax or restoralax(only one time), which worked for me. I did get somewhat addicted to the pain killers, but gradually stopped taking them. Ask your doc, you need more pain meds or you are gonna want to kill yourself, you can't continue like this. By the way, it will get better!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, I know it is miserable right now.

I'm now day 9 post staple haemarrhoidectomy. The pain has reduced considerably but is still present all the time. It feels like a smarting burning sensation. Similar to when my haemarrhoid used to pop out. I've managed to remain regular with my bowel motion daily. Strangely it's a normal formed stool followed 5 min later with a loose stool. The latter catches me off guard and I've had several accidents already. I feel exhausted all the time, even after waking up from an 8 hour sleep at night. Had a follow up with the surgeon yesterday - there is still a little oozing of blood at the staple site. I am worried about this but the surgeon says it's par for the course. There is no haematoma at the staple line which is more important. A friend of mine had this procedure done a few years ago. He said he was in pain for 3 weeks but it did finally settle. He's glad he did the op now. I hope I feel the same down the road.
Interestingly, in retrospect my rectum must have been highly sensitive even prior to surgery. There were always small trigger points that caused immense pain on palpation (identified whenever I popped the prolapsed haemarrhoid back). I'm guessing that these small highly sensitive areas are now being aggravated by the surgery - either by being under some tension or by the haemostatic sutures (x3) the surgeon had to place intraoperatively. I feel rather self centered at the moment as I know others are in more pain than I. Also,having so much time on my hands I've been following the world news closely and there are sooo many bad things happening to innocent people.

To the poster that had surgery 6 days ago. I'm sorry you are having such a miserable time post op.

As someone had correctly and wisely mentioned - getting on top of the pain is crucial. There is a pain cycle that you are in now that must be broken. Being in so much pain physically wears you down (you are also not getting enough nutrition as you're nauseated) in addition the bowel stops peristalsing because you are in pain. This adds to your constipation.

Usually pain is due to one of the following. Staples too low, below the dentate line (if you had a staple haemarrhoidectomy), or wound infection, or fissure or tear caused by the procedure. In addition, as one poster mentioned having very sensitive rectal mucosa (prior to surgery) will exacerbate the pain even if it was not touched by the surgery.

If staples r really too low, thats troublesome cos cant unpick them, pain is there for weeks although slowly improves over time.

If local infection . It does seem a bit early, but depends on whether u r on antibiotics

If fissure, then that will heal in a few weeks with diltiazem cream 2 per cent.

It might be worth getting the surgeon to do a proper PR (per rectum) exam to make sure u r not impacted with overflow which can happen without u realising. Pain from constipation can be worse than the wound pain itself. Also stretching the anal sphincter under GA may also relieve spasm pain for a while (caution with this procedure as it can at times make things worse)

As already mentioned breaking the pain cycle is critical. Do not be afraid of taking the analgesics.

Analgesics to consider:
Acoxia 120 mg slow release for pain and anti inflammatory effect.

Tramadol: for medium to severe pain. This is quite fast acting.

OxyContin. This is an opioid for medium to severe pain. This will help with your sleep but may worsen constipation. But worth taking to get over some of the pain.

Also consider Daflon 500 to reduce the inflammation at the surgical site.

Fish oils (capsules) orally to reduce inflammation.

Vitamin C for wound healing.

If you are not eating, liquid nutrition like Ensure may tide you over this period.

Soaking in Warm bath offers short term relief.

If turns out staples too low, then may benefit from seeing pain service earlier rather than later to lessen suffering!

Consider a sleeping tablet ( but not while taking an opioid like OxyContin) Getting some sleep is important for healing and psychological well being.

The pain WILL get better!
Break the pain cycle!
Keep a concise pain journal scoring pain 1-10
This will help you appreciate and realize that over time you are really getting less pain and hence better. Good for morale. Don't rely on memory which will be clouded and blurred.

I wish you well....

I got the surgery 5 days ago. And is by far the worst pain I have ever had. Tell me what did you do for pain. I'm dying here

Get your physician to prescribe you very strong painkillers like Oxycontin. I initially took 2 of them 5/325, I think it was every 4 to 6 hours for the first few days. You must take Metamucil because it will be binding and probably miralax or restolax to help you go. Be forewarned, the Oxy is addicting and it will be difficult after a week or so, to start cutting it out, but it was worth it to help deal with the initial pain. Ask your doc for help with the pain management, don't be shy. It will get better, just takes time.

I had haemorrhoidectomy yesterday, and i must confess, i have never been into this kind of excruciating pain. I took slow release diclofenac , pcm and even added 50mg tramadol, but the pain appeared recalcitrant until i took a tab of ibuprofen.
My only concern now is, how long will the pain linger, and the little blood oozes could be worsened by the ibuprofen. I sincerely hope i turn to be the luckiest, as i have a journey of over 12 hrs to embark on in 2wks.