Take plenty of fiber (30grams) and water. Take medication on time. Ice swollen area. I had mine on the 15th (May 2017). I'm still on bed rest but the pain has greatly reduced. The first week was PURE HELL. I cried every day. FYI: I had 3 hemorrhoids removed. 1 ex 2 int.

It will eventually get better. Pray and let Jesus heal you.

Day 6 had this done Friday it is now Wednesday. I've lost almost 10 lbs. it's a crappy diet for sure but I do see a little improvement each day. I have a fit bit i make sure I walk more steps than the day prior. Two things that suck for me. Besides the BM which get a little better each day. Again I don't eat much cause I kinda new what I was getting into beforehand. Does anyone else feel like they constantly have to poop, I believe it is caused from the swollen sphincter muscle, and the stool softners. Any ideas how to quell this. I definitely see how someone can split there stitches from pushing so much cause it always feels like you have to go all the time. The second complaint is the gas and urination. It's so much easier to pee in the tub with epsom than it is the toilet. I find myself straining to pee and sometimes nothing comes. I think it has something to do with the swollen sphincter muscle not sure though. Any thoughts. I look forward to the next day so I know I am one day closer to full recovery. Good lluck to you all. I know I'm not out of the woods, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still sucks though.

I'm straining to pee too. It's so frustrating. I felt like I was constipated but in urine form. My bladder was so full and I constantly felt the urge to pee and as soon as I felt it coming, nothing would happen. It was the most uncomfortable feeling ever! But sitting in the tub helped me pee but I still strained. I'm 4 days post op and at times, it's really bad, but then I take pain meds and it feels much better but I'd like to see if I can go without meds for awhile.

I am now 10 days post surgery in which I had both internal and external hemorrhoids removed (very large).

My first piece of advice is to get the surgery done by a specialist (proctologist/colorectal surgeon) -- not a general surgeon. I had to drive an hour and a half from where I live for appointments and surgery but it is totally worth it (husband drove me home after surgery obviously). I think my recovery has been faster because of it (I would not say I am totally recovered by any means -- I just feel way better than I did those first few days).

My next piece of advice has to do with the constipation issue. I am not one who has ever had problems in that area -- I go every morning and some days I will go again in the evening. However, these boards and my doctor put fear in me about getting constipated after this surgery. So, I avoided the prescribed narcotic pain pills for the first three days (they are constipating) and just did over-the-counter ibuprophen alternating with Tylenol every three hours. I drank prune juice. I ate foods high in fiber. I took the maximum dose of Colace (stool softener). I drank plenty of water. The result? Diarrhea episodes 5-6 times a day for the first three days after surgery. I am sure that hard stools are not pleasant after this surgery but diarrhea is not either -- OUCH!!! Went back to my usual normal eating and other habits and only took 2 Colace before bed and am back to my usual bathroom habits, which is much better because you reinjure yourself every time you go. Going merely once or twice a day gives you more time to heal between episodes. Bottom line (ha ha): know yourself when it comes to following the advice for preventing constipation.

Like I said, I have only taken a couple of the prescribed narcotic pain pills this entire time. I will say that I had trouble falling asleep the first few nights because of the pain/discomfort. Rather than turn to the prescription pain pills, I took Tylenol PM. You should not mix Tylenol with your prescribed pain pills because that is too much Tylenol. I took Tylenol PM instead of prescribed pain pills. That stuff knocks me out, and I was able to sleep. Better yet, it makes me sleep longer than normal, which I appreciated in those rough few days after surgery.

The first few days, icing the area helped me a lot. I used someone's advice from a board about wetting and freezing disposable diapers for 3 month olds to do the icing. This worked well. There is nasty oozing after this surgery, so you can just throw this "ice pack" away after using it. Similarly, when you are not icing, you need to wear a maxipad to catch the oozing.

Have a detachable shower head for cleaning yourself after bowel movements is extraordinarily helpful. Install one before your surgery if you don't have one. In the early days, I would follow the shower with a shallow bath in warm water with some Espom salt and baking soda. These helped too.

The oozing afterwards can have the effect of essentially giving you something like diaper rash, which also hurts. After bathing/showering, I put on my skin (not the wound, the nearby skin) Bag Balm, which helped with the skin irritation.

A spray of Dermaplast on the wound would burn for a minute but them provide relief as well.

I got a squatty potty stool to put my feet on for BMs. It minimizes straining. It was worth it. I am on and off in a minute or so, and the stool helps. I got it on Amazon.

The very first day post surgery really was not that bad. There was a lot of swelling, but it was more discomfort than pain because my surgeon injected a lot of numbing medication that lasted 24 hours or maybe even a bit more. It was the next 3 days that were the worst. However, I have been feeling graduate better each day since. BMs still cause a flair of pain, and I still use the shower to get clean. I don't need a sitz bath afterwards any more. I still take over the counter pain meds almost around the clock (ibuprophen then Tylenol three hours later and then ibuprophen three hours later then Tylenol three hours later, repeat). I don't use the Tylenol PM to sleep anymore.

I feel like my recover is going pretty well. That said, I can't imagine people who go to work 1 week after their surgery -- at least if they had multiple external and internal hemorrhoids removed like I did. I see two weeks of recovery as the minimum -- and that is for someone like me with a desk job. I think it would be much better to take three weeks off if that is possible.

The closest that I can compare the experience to is the aftermath of child birth. However, this is worse because of the BMs. Yes, you are sore and swollen and have vaginal oozing (and, if like me, have stitches) after giving birth, and this is similar (anal oozing instead). However, there is nothing like the retraumatization of the injured area after giving birth like there is with this surgery every time you have a BM. So, I think that this recovery is worse. Not impossible to manage, but worse.

Get all of the supplies that I recommend prior to your surgery so that you are prepared. Good luck. If you are in the early days, be encouraged that it does get better by the week to 10 day mark.

Thanks for sharing. I am scheduled for surgery and am dreading it but its necessary as I have had multiple blood transfusions. I'll stock up on prune juice!

I had mine done 5 days ago ive been sitting on a hot water bottle which eased the pain and swelling alot plus i was taking ibruprofen to help with swelling i did my first full days work today no pain

I am 11 days post surgery and bowel movements are still extremely painful..ive done the fiber,the veggies,prunes,soup and plenty of liquid...hoping for the day of less pain ...

Im 5 months post surgery.

I still have the annoying leakage (not the yellow liquid anymore but a mix of mucus and probably a bit of poo) every time I go to the bathroom. Doctor said it wasnt normal that Im still not fully healed but also said the wound is smaller. I honestly expect that in 2 more months this stops. Tired of staining my boxers.

I had the surgery a month ago..1st week i didn't sleep 2nd week was less painful but still horrible. I didn't think it would ever end.. the pain was horrific.. 3rd week discomfort.. after 4th week.. feeling fantastic..hang in there.. it will go away

Your reply to this post is simply fantastic! I had surgery for my internal/external/bleeding hemorrhoids on Thursday (it is now Wednesday next week). Your descriptions have been very similar to mine. My pain level has been pretty bad but I have Crohn's disease so I knew that this surgery would cause things to flare up a bit. Like yourself, I'm just so thankful that I was able to have it done. It is now July and I had been having monthly blood transfusions since Christmas, to deal with all of the bleeding from my hemorrhoids. Friday will hopefully be my last blood transfusion and I am very happy to see that finished. Again, I really appreciate all of the information you were able to provide in your posting. This is a topic where people are shy to discuss so forums are a wonderful communication assist. I hope your recovery is now passed and that you are back to enjoying your life to the fullest. :)

My surgery for bleeding internal /external hemorrhoids was last Thursday, on the 6th of July. I have Crohn's disease and have been no stranger to surgeries and bowel troubles. However, I have to be honest, this was the worst pain I have ever felt, and that is after having had 12 surgeries under general anesthetic. I popped out of anesthetic quickly and was overwhelmed by the pain. I've had 3 peri anal fistulas operations and 6 drained peri anal abscesses and this operation took the cake! The pressure in my anus was well beyond what I had expected. That being said, it is now Wednesday, July 12th and the pain is much better tolerated. Within 3 days, I started to feel good improvements. I am taking my prescription pain pills and would advise other to take theirs as well. There is enough suffering prior to this surgery that continuing the pain after seems unnecessary to me.

My surgeon was incredible. He seen me the day before my operation and was able to schedule me for surgery in less than 24 hours! I personally think he walks on water at this point! I live in Canada and am extremely fortunate to have my surgery fully covered in terms of cost. Mind you, I waited since Christmas, trying to find a surgeon who would take on my case. With having Crohn's disease and adding the complication of post peri anal disease, surgeons were not lining up to work on me. I had been receiving monthly blood transfusions since Christmas, due to the nature of my hemorrhoids bleeding so profusely. In 2 days time, I will hopefully be having my final blood transfusion. I have not read in other posts if others required blood transfusions or not.

I brought a gift of my homemade jams and salsas to my surgeon. I live in a rural country setting and really wanted to bring him a present to show my appreciation. Heck, I would have given him my truck if he had asked for it! I was just so far gone from all the hemorrhoid troubles that the relief of surgery was to me, equal to winning the lottery! Yes, the pain hasn't been a picnic, but in the long run, I know this pain is going to be much more short term than my suffering with hemorrhoids.

By all means, follow the good advice people are giving here. Take your meds. Drink lot's of fluids. And yes, the Sitz bath is the best purchase you can make! I am taking Metamucil, a powder fiber you add to your water. It is a great idea to keep your poops soft. And be prepared for not being able to pee! I must have put myself in a hundred different positions, trying to get me pee out! It turned out to be harder than pooping! And baby wipes are fantastic for cleaning yourself too.

I have ended up with one strange outcome though. I caught shingles at the same time of my surgery. My husband noticed red blotches on my backside the evening we came home after surgery. I just assumed they were from various clamps that hold you in place, during the operation. They were very hot and painful. I needed blood work done on Monday, 4 days later, so after blood work, I went into out patience to see a doctor. Turned out, I have shingles on my left cheek of my bum! Some have now developed on the same side of my body, on my hip and coming across to my belly. These are not much fun either!

When all is said and done, I would do the surgery over again in a heartbeat. I never want to suffer like I did, from bleeding hemorrhoids again. If you are having a hard time in making the decision to get it done or not, take heart; it does get better! :)

Is the swelling gone away now?

Just had two removed yesterday at 2 pm. Minimal bleeding even on bandages from hospital, replaced with small gauze wedged in. Things got real at about 4 am when trying to pass a movement, took about a couple of hours after i passed after fair amount of gas, had another one couple of hours later, there's abit of agony just sitting and then walking around abit, had trouble urinating also, but just drank alot of water and that helped. Strong antiinflammatories help alot and make sure you take the stool softeners diligently, try not to eat meats. They say not to push but after being patient waiting and trying to get it there after just gas, I had to push a little and it came out, wooh what a relief. Do not wipe just get in shower instead after every movement or squat over a bowl of water and wash. Was prescribed 1 mg hydromorphone and just took one at about 8am this morning. Had minimal bleeding this morning, and swelling has gone down considerably from the antiinflammatories, took 2 before I finally got to sleep with the single 1 mg hydromorphone. Took an antiinflammatory when I woke, I had some left over from a previous prescription, thank god, I think they are 650 ibuprofen they are pink. So now just laying here minor discomfort, no bleeding no bandage. The stitches are dissolveable ones. Going to eat minimal solid foods for awhile and just drink lots of fluids. I need to lose weight anyway, lol.

Hi there! The swelling is gone down considerably but there still is a little ways to go yet. Still have some pain but it is not like the first week when I swore I could take my pulse through my eyelids as it was so throbbing.

I had my surgery on Friday august 4th 2017 and I was mortified about the recovery period. I had fissures and internal hemorrhoids before the procedure and remember the pain involved with going to the bathroom to be so intense I'd breakdown and weep for hours after. However the hemorrhoidectomy procedure went by like a breeze. It's been only a few days and I'm up and about with all but slight pain gone in the area. My advice is to immediately drink a lot of water after the operation in conjunction with stool softeners and miralax to offset the opioid induced consitipation from the meds given. Trust me the worst of the pain comes from going to the bathroom and you want your stool soft (but not watery - I know it seems like a moving target sometimes). This is gonna be awful - there's no way around that. But what you're going through is for the best and you're not alone. Just keep drinking fluids, using a fiber supplement, taking stool softeners, and occasionally taking laxatives if it's been too long since a movement and you'll get through this. Also don't be alarmed when some days feel much worse than the previous ones, this isn't a linear process. And don't be afraid to chat with your doctor when you're scared. Be tough and know you can make it through this.