khansen46,

I'm not an id**t and have done far more reading than you on the subject, working at a university and having access to world class research journals on colorectal health. If you take a look at any of the repurtable literature out there on dealing with fissures you will see that what I stated earlier is the standard, conservative treatment. So what if that steroid not the steroid used by athletes? If you read the side of the tube, you will see a warning that says may thin skin. It is also commonly used for hemmies, not fissures.

I have not stuck with the same Dr for 2 years. The first allowed the area to abscess (as is common when open wounds contact feces regularly) and would not treat that for a year. The secodn and third were incompetent. I finally switched medical carriers and the condition is finally starting to clear up after LIS. I have been tested, repeatedly, and there are no underlying conditions, just shoddy care, where my inital drs prescribed things like proctofoam and steroids.

BUTTGIRL:

your situation seems to parrallel my wife's. She has been prescribed the Proctofoam & Lidocain jelly. Her operation seems to have left excess skin abcesses. However, as we try to seek other Doctors to take a look, no one wants to judge the surgeon or precribe alternatives ... everyone seems to suggest going back to the surgeon (she is in her 3rd week of pain). Any suggestions?

Hi - I just had my PPH surgery yesterday morning at 9am. It is now 6:15pm the following day. How long should after surgery should I have my first BM, I feel like I kind of have to go but I also have the surgery dressing/packing in my butt. The surgeon said it should fall out on its own when it is ready but I keep feeling like I need to pass gas but it has no where to go. Should I take it out on my own? I have not been able to put the numbing cream on it either because of the packing....help!

I had what turned out to be my final appointment on Thursday. The fissure has healed up, and there is no pain or bleeding of any kind. I must say, this whole ordeal has been different than anything I have ever experienced. I'm glad that I had the procedure, but if I ever develop hemorrhoids again, I'm not sure I'd do it again.

jrsygrl79, it can be 2-3 days before your first BM. Don't rush it. In my case, I felt like I really had to go, and hurt myself sitting on the toilet trying. It turns out that there was internal swelling that simulated the need to go. It was excruciating at times. After three days of not being able to go, I drank a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. In about 3 hours, I was able to go (see my post dated 04/21/08, on page 5 of this forum). This was the most painful time of this whole experience, but it was well worth it afterward. I do recommend you start taking some sort of fiber supplement (not anything labeled as "smooth texture"). It will make things flow a whole lot better, and help keep it soft. You can also take a stool softener (with or without a stimulant). All these things I'm recommending were OK with my doctor. You can ask yours beforehand, if you like.

cneal2, During my last visit, I asked my doctor what the course of action would have been had this fissure not healed. He said there is a 10 minute surgical procedure that is used to close it up. I didn't ask for all the details, but he said this is effective in nearly every case. If your wife is still having this problem, then perhaps this procedure would be the best choice. Especially if multiple doctors have recommended it.

No rush, you can probably hold off another day, unless the urge is too great to deny. As far as the packing goes: there is no way that mine would have fallen out on its own. I had to remove it and nearly fainted when I did so. That was the single most painful part of the entire procedure for me.

As far as laxatives go: DO NOT use Magnesium Citrate! That stuff is only for people who DO NOT suffer from hemmorhoids. It will blow a hole through you and greatly inflame the area. I would recommend good, old fashioned Milk of Magnesia (in the Cherry flavor). Drink a healthy dose before bedtime and the next morning you will pass a very soft and easy going BM.

By the way, I seem to have stopped the bleeding I was experiencing and am recovering nicely now. 5 weeks have passed since my surgery.

I'm in the eleventh day of recovering and like some of you I've had some pretty bad pain. I do understand that everyone's case is different, some will be in more pain than others. My surgery went fine, but the lack of good information from the doc's office added to a second surgery to remove an impaction. I've never been constipated, but after trying to contact the surgeon and getting no return calls for a full day, I went to the ER, which was fun...An intern ended up literally ramming her finger up to check on the impaction. By that time my meds wore off, so it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced (this was day 3). No on took me seriously about how much pain I was in until they saw the "cue ball sized" impaction on the x-ray. I was admitted after a couple of hours of the ER trying to get a hold of my surgeon without success. That night they gave me morphine, an enema, and finally the surgeon called and said that he would remove it manually.

The next morning in pre-op the surgeon came in and practically blamed me for what happen, but I followed their instructions to the T. I did everything they said, and still got impacted. When I woke up from the surgery all of my intestines felt like they were on fire and I had some considerable pain in the anal area. They said it was normal.

They followed that with that citrate stuff and that's when the fun began. They wanted to discharge me soon after and with morphine in my system, I was still in terrible pain, so the surgeon reluctantly kept me admitted for one more day..I don't know how I would have handled the pain that followed at home, so I was lucky. I've had numerous painful injuries in my life, none even come close to the past 11 days.

After getting some golden advice from the last nurse I had, recovery has been very slow and extremely painful but is progressing fine. However, I have developed some weird thing that sticks out during a bm and then goes back in, and after pain improved, there is a section now that is burning more and more, but overall pain during bm is lessening.

I guess the point of me posting is to warn people that diet, for some (should be for all), is crucial to a good and shorter recovery. They told me one enema the night before surgery and no eating after midnight the night before. I made the mistake of following that advice without regard to common sense or diet, which I was told by the staff didn't matter. I was also told that yes, a high fiber diet after the surgery was required, but that I could also eat what I wanted...yes they actually told me that. It definitely hurt me that's for sure. I would suggest a high fiber diet a couple of days before the surgery, and not eating anything at least after 6 the night before if not earlier. Afterwards lots of fluids, I used benefiber with great success, and if you can avoid laxatives that would help but I don't know how feasible that is. I couldn't avoid using miralax because everything was so swollen that even with soft stool it was really hard for anything to pass. Use stool softeners as well.

I'm NOT a doctor, no doubt, but after all this I just want to help someone not risk getting to this point. If anyone has any questions my email is _[removed]_. Good luck to anyone about to have the surgery or is recovering from it.

It depends on the surgery she had and expecially the surgeon. if she had a lateral internal sphincterotomy, then the pain relief should be almost immediate. there will be soreness, but nothing like the fissure itself. That is, if it was done correctly. If the drs cut too little, or if he cut the wrong muscle, she could be in trouble. Either way, I would go in and request an ointment that is 2% nifedipine. This will relieve the pressure in the area and thus much of the pain. It will also encourage blood flow and healing.

If it was an incision and drainage without LIS, then that is very painful and it can take up to 15 weeks or longer for her to start feeling normal again.

Are the abscesses oozing? If so, any dr who looks at your wife should be prescribing flagyl, the antibiotic commonly used for anus.rectal.intestinal infections. If they are skin tags, those should deflate as your wife heals and as the swelling caused by the surgery subsides.

In my experience, drs will never say that another dr is incompetent, even when s/he clearly is. If I were your wife, I would stress that I am completely dissatified with the quality of care I recieved and am hoping that this new dr will be able to help. This last drs I have been seeing has been a miracle worker. He is the only one who could see the fissure from the outside (which is amazing since it was an obvious leftover from the I&D and still ran the length of the anal canal almost down to the muscle), and he is also the only one who didn't probe the area and cause more pain. I seem to be healing after being treated by him.

I hope this helps a little.

oh, also, tell your wife to try and keep her poop super soft. like applesauce. Do this with supplementary fiber and magnesium. Some people swear by 1 Tablespoon of milk of magnesium per night, others by 900-1200mg of magnesium supplements (without calcium).

I had my surgery for a Thrombose hermroid on May 15th 2008. I went back to the doctor after June 10th 2008 so about 3 weeks later and they told me that i healed to quickly, that i need to heal from the bottom up?? So much to my disagreement, they had to chemical burn the area so that that correct part could heal first? I am very confused on this. How can you heal wrong.
The chemical burn on the area that they did the surgery on now feels like it did when i first had the surgery. I could not believe it, i was feeling so good. I could have a BM with little to no pain at all. Now i feel like i'm back to square 1.

Has this ever happened to anyone? This is so frustrating.

Hello all,

I had a double procedure on Thursday, June 5th. I had an external hemroidectomy and a surgery for stress urinary incontinence.

The day before the surgery, I ran around tying up a bunch of loose ends, as I didn't know how long I would down and out. So I didn't eat much. I hadn't had anything to eat or drink after 8p.m. Early that next morning, I did the Enema prep. I go daily on my own anyway, but after the prep, I felt truly empty. Surgery came and went and I got discharged with Cipro, Percocet and Motrin and a foley cath. I was instructed no baths or sitting in water primarily because of the vaginal surgery.

That night my pain was localized to my abdomen as I had incisions from the other procedure. I wasn't hungry. I remember eating chicken and rice soup for dinner only. My butt felt fine. I took one Percocet to go to sleep. Tossing and turning hurt the most and also I was confined with the cath.

The next morning (Friday), I felt pretty good. Mid afternoon, I passed gas and that hurted. That was the first pain I experienced in my butt area. My appetite also returned that day. I had a hoagie and sat in the car while my spouse drove to the hoagie shop. Sitting was difficult, but getting in a standing position from sitting down was even worse. I fear a BM since the fart hurt so bad. So, I took Stool Softeners and a Percocet.

The next day (Saturday), I took my first shower and after having my first BM, it was a piece of cake. I noticed the swelling and was concerned that I didn't have the surgery at all, until I read others responses at this site.

Sunday was a heat wave, I stayed in all day.

On Monday, I drove and was shopping around for graduation dresses for my daughter. On Tuesday, I went to get my cath removed. Before that I had my daily BM and it was painful this time. I spent my time in the waiting room unable to sit down, the pain was so bad. So I took another Percocet. Getting the cath out was the highlight of that day.

Wednesday, I went to my daughter graduation in heels, stood up and cheered, had ice cream and cake, took pics etc. I felt fine. I brought Tucks pads and the swelling is decreasing.

Yesterday and today I feel fine. Monday I return to work. I feel a slight discomfort, but we will see how it goes. My appetite still isn't 100% what it was and maybe that make the BMs more manageable. Yet in all I only took 3 of my Percocets and I am only 1 week post op for both procedures. The bleeding and discharge is minimal.

Thank all of you for your posts, you have helped me understand what I was going through and that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Everyone heals differently, three years ago I had my tonsils and adnoids out and the recovery was by far more painful than this, I was out of work for three weeks.

Are any of you runners? I am 35 y.o. runner and plan to run in two races in Oct/Nov. I have only walked once with the dog since the surgery, but how soon can I pick up the paces and start jogging/running?

I don't want to hurt myself. The docs says 4-6 weeks, but they are also surprised I am out and about and going to work on Monday.

I had the surgery 5 days ago. the only time it really hurts is when I have a BM. A little bit of spot bleeding. The vicodin does help alot as well as the sitz baths. I hope it heals smoothly because im going back to work in 2 days.

I had my surgery almost two weeks ago and it has been hell. Up there with childbirth and worse at some points. I expected to have pain in the anus for the first week which I did and took darvocet for the pain. The darvocet constipates you! I had to go back to the doctor. I had been trying to go, drinking water, taking every BM product on the market, and there was too much impacted stool at the anus for this to be let out. The doc was almost not going to let me have the impaction surgery, but they felt sorry for my pain and I had it. I can now pass steel like spike balls with severe pain two weeks later. I cry and curl in a pain ball everytime I use the can. I wonder if my stools will stay like this for the rest of my life.

It sounds stupid, but the best thing that I have found for the pain is a sun burn gel. It has lidocaine. I take warm baths every few hours, it seems like, and use a touch on my finger to smear it around afterwards. It helps tremendously. I had my first BM on day three (today) and it hurt like hell. There is no way around it.

With mine, I had a colonoscopy to remove some polyps and a small tumor. While they were there, they banded a few large internal hemerroids and a huge skin tag on the outside. That incision is what hurts so bad. Had I known, I would have lived with baby wipes for the rest of my life to avoid this mess.

I Had both internal and external oids removed on Wed and I'm struggling with my BM. The doc kept me in hospital for three days although after the op I felt fine, with no major pain he said he wouldn't let me go till I had my first BM. I feel that this actually made my problem worse as I find it difficult to use a strange toilet and although I did do a dime sized stool to get out of the hospital I now feel so impacted round my anus. I do try to go but feel that I will tear in two. I've tried hot baths, lactulose, fibogel, prunes, I'm drinking plenty of fluids and all I'm told is that I'll go eventually.

I went through child birth twice on my own and I do have a very high pain threshold but there is no way on earth that passing this stool aint going to do me an injury.

PLease help any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I had this surgery done (8/11) since I was having a colonoscopy. The surgeon said no big deal. piece of cake.
since then I have spoken to the surgical nurse who said it was no big deal for him but a very big deal for me. He told me I could go back to work the following Monday. My daughter had to drive me to work and I stayed 3 hours. Luckily it was not a time that I desperately needed to have a BM. That is when I pray for a quick death. And I have a high threshold for pain. Since then, I have had 2 BM's with help from laxatives. The whole day is spent in pain trying to have them. sorry to gross anyone out. I am afraid to create more hemoroids by trying to have the BM's.
The nurse also told me 2-3 weeks to "get over the hump" and then approx 6 weeks for recovery.
And I love the part where the surgeon says I can go back on a regular diet. I am actually afraid to eat.
And stay off those pain killers unless absolutely essential. Percocet is a
major constipator which hardly helped the situation.
I had a minor hemoroid. I do not recommend this procedure unless you are dying otherwise. I have never been more miserable and I had a very difficult delivery of first child.
I am using metamusil, started drinking prune juice, eating mostly bland veggies. 2 Ducolax was what helped me achieve BM each time. Magnesium Citrate did nothing for me.