I had my surgery on December 18th. It is 2:00 AM on December 23rd and i found this website when i decided to look for pictures of what the doctor did to me to have me writhing in pain 5 days later! I have had pain with bowel movements since last June, and when i say pain, i mean thigh punching, wall slapping, hair pulling pain...like what i am still experiencing with going now after the surgery! My doc could not even examine me...and thought i had a fissure that we would "watch" for a while. She is really a great doctor, and did not want to do the surgery until she had to. By the way, my problems all started after another procedure that I had for a large fibroid and they gave me pain killers, without telling me to take a laxative with them. SOOO, i had pain for months when i finally decided that i did not want to live the rest of my life dreading to go the bathroom; when it should be such a relief to go!!! I did not have a hospital stay...and now wonder why i did not?? I ended up having many internal hemorrhoids, a large pollup, a small fissure, and a large external skin tag...all of these have been stitched, cut, cauterized, and whatever else that they had to do to them!! I AM IN HORRIBLE TORTURE!!! I did not know that the recovery would be so awful. I finally pooped a few days after the surgery...and like one of the first posts said, it was like pooping a steel ball with spikes on it...and it was just on little nugget. Each nugget is the steel ball thing...and then afterwards; I refer to that part as the Anal Hot Poker just sticking up your but to top off the torture! I can barely move...and the funny thing is, the first day or two after, I was not in much pain!!! I just was not aware and feel so terribly helpless right now. Christmas is in two days and I have nary an ornament out...and I always have my entire family for Christmas Eve dinner. I am going to get a Menorah from the store and just light it on Christmas Eve, and call a restaurant and have appetizers catered in. I just cannot imagine going back to work or doing anything. I have been laying around in bed as I cannot sit, cannot walk well...and if I try to do something around the house, I get weak and dizzy quickly. I just feel so helpless and am in so much pain...I must say, I laughed my ASS off while reading these posts...I felt like I wanted to meet each and every one of you as we surely have an anal bond!!! Thank you for making me laugh!! Calling someone a pain in the ass from now on will be reserved for those that really, really deserve the name!! Thank you all again...and I am going to send a healing prayer out to all of you right now!!!

Hello!! Thank you for the interesting descriptions of the pain we have all been sharing! I have never experienced anything so terrible! The doctor told me that I would be uncomfortable for 5 days!! What a total lie......... 5 weeks after the op I am still freaking out every time i have a BM and then almost have a panic attack wondering when the next one will be due! I had stitches, but have been told this is not standard ~ I agree, if you have an option not to have them it would be better. The stitches have almost driven me off a cliff! When I complained about the pain to the doctor he said take more bulk forming granules, is anyone else taking this?
I also have strange little tags that are NEW!! Wild horses wouldn't be able to drag me back to the hospital for another op like this!
Anyone who escaped with minor pain should count their blessings! Good luck to you all..............bums up!

Hello...it's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I have to say, everything I read about it is true. I'm a 30 year old female in excellent condition and have dealt with these annoying things for ten years. Only after my pregnancy with my son did they expolde to mammoth proportions! I was too scared to have them removed three years ago because of the pain my doctor told me I would be in. I started training for a mini-marathon and once again, they expolded and I developed thrombosed hemorroids. I came to the realization that nothing was going to cure the pests except the inevitable...surgery. I cried over my decision and accepted the fact that I did not want to live the next 40-50 years with these things (my mother had the surgery when she was 19...34 years ago). The surgery itself was nothing however, what was to come was terrible. First 3-4 days are very painful...no desire to eat, sleep, watch t.v or talk. One thing is for sure...I think the doctors need to prescribe valium for the first BM. Even diarreah is hard to pass without crying. My suggestion to everyone is eat a liquid diet for the first few days so your poop is like water. There is so much swelling down there that your hole is like the size of a pea. All my BM's were very painfull even though I stuck to a soft diet and kept taking the stool softners. Colace seems to work better than generic stool softners and a little Milk of Magnesia just before bed time does the trick to keep my poo like mud (sorry for the description, but I had a hard poo 10 days post op and my GOD I bled). So scary. I'm praying that I will feel a little better at the end of week three. Good luck everyone and weigh your options about having the surgery.

When I had my hemorrhoidectomy, it took about 10 days until I was able to even sleep. I spent several nights in the bathtub with severe pain. Most of my hemorrhoids were internal and they are usually not painful at all. However, I also suffer from fissures, which are the absolute most painful medical problems I have ever experienced. Suicide has crossed my mind when I have had these fissures due to the extreme level of pain. The remedy for my problems have been a complete revision of diet. I recommend a lot of fiber or fiber supplements (try Benefiber/Metamucil) and generous amounts of water. I avoid too much meat and supplement any unhealthy meals with fiber and stool softener. Wish you the best of luck.

reading all of these posts have made me very nervous guys..

i'm going to make my first appt with a proctologist this week to get these buggers checked out and see what he can do about them. i've been self diagnosing myself all of tonight and it's doing more harm than good (as always..)

but i'm just wondering what yours all looked like before you had your surgery. like size, location, color, how many of them, symptoms..

mine is like the size of a small pea (but the texture of a raisin) hanging outside. i also have this small little smooth fold-like flap of loose skin and a little tiny bump next to it.

i think this information will help put me at ease and make me feel more normal instead of hideous :'(

thanks guys! we're all in this together

I had surgery on Wednesday. I've had very little pain, and overall, the pain level is only about 10% of what I expected (with the exception of the first two hours after surgery--which was still only about 50% of what I expected).

It's now Sunday. I only used 8 of my 50 Percocet, and the last one was 6am the morning after surgery. I had a BM this morning and it was no big deal--no more uncomfortable than it was with the hemorrhoids.

I, too, had read these boards prior to my surgery and was very frightened. I had two hemorrhoids removed and one was "extremely nasty" according to my surgeon.

At any rate, not all experiences are bad. I've not had one moment of regret since I came home. I've driven myself to the doctor's office, gone grocery shopping, cleaned house, and even moved some furniture. I'll be returning to work in the morning, probably for a half day, and building up to a full day by the end of the week.

I wish more people's experiences were as exceptional as mine, but apparently there are a lot of truly horrific experiences with this surgery. Just wanted to be sure people reading this knew they weren't all bad.

Hi hellok1tty....Hemorrhoids are most definitely hideous! I would not recommend this surgery at all if you are doing this for cosmetic purposes because it is painful and their are risks involved. Make sure you do extensive research about the surgeon you are seeing ...colon and rectal surgeon to be exact. Hope this was helpful! BTW, my bum doesn't look much better now that they have been removed. It sounds like you have a few skin tags down there and an active roid. Mine were visible and thrombosed...very painful.

I'm so sad today because I went back to the doctor and found out that the reason I'm still in pain is because I have a tear (anal fissure). I'm scared to death that it won't heal on it's own and with the cream the doc prescribed. Can anyone tell me if they also developed an internal fissure after their hemorroidectomy? Thanks for your help and support. :'(

i don't have bleeding AT ALL in my poop. it's just that they are TERRIBLY itchy. beyond itchy. they keep me up at night that's how itchy they are. THEY ARE DRIVING ME INSANE. that's the reason why i want them removed. they aren't painful, really. i have used prep H on them to ease the itch but it burns for a good 3-5 minutes after i put it on. possibly due to a slight rash from me itching my bum raw? (i really, really try not to, but it's so hard).

i take sitz baths as often as i can, but when i wipe off it goes back to itching.MY GOD THE ITCHING.help anyone? :cry:

I have tried the Benefiber for 1 month ( had surgery 3 months ago for 3 internal hems) now have switched to include Metamucil-once a day and have found the psyillium fiber in Metamucil much more effective than the Benefiber alone. Here is my latest success regimen for a pain free BM: Breakfast:4 oz. high pulp prune juice with 5 capsules Metamucil with 16 oz water and one colace. Lunch: 2 tsps Benefiber and one colace. Dinner: 4 oz prune juice, 1 large glass water, once colace, 2 tsps Benefiber. Add a high fiber diet to it all and so far, I have been pain free for the first time in 3 months. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have found the magic potion for a pain free life.

Try Metamucil, the psyllium fiber really is better than Benefiber alone or the colace alone. Prune juice also helps. I also had internal hems that were thrombosed and had to be removed, I had no choice in the matter. I am also very active with athletics and want to return to my normal activities. 3 months post surgery now and feel I have found a way to have BMs without residual pain. If I do have pain I take advil and if at night I still have some vicodin to make it through the night.I am better than I was before the surgery but I had no idea what the recovery would be like. Still recovering but definitely better than before.

This is the worst surgery ever!!!!! If I ever get them again, I'm going to grow a whole crop of them. I've been in extreme pain. It's been 2 weeks since I had those little pain in my behind thins!!!! It doesn't hurt as much. But I'm telling you to watch what you eat!!! No beans or fried food. It will hurt so bad you feel like you're going to pass out!!! :-(

I'm in good health, I'm storng and active and at 27 i never thought i'd be having hemorrhoids surgically removed. I've been "healing" for a week exactly, and wow, if I would've know how bad this was, I would've let them go. sure they sucked but this is ridiculous. I got my surgery last Thursday, all was fin until it was Sunday and I hadn't made. So i called the doc, a fleet enema and some magnesium citrate is what he suggested... Nothing ex-lax, nothing, miralax, nothing. The percocets they prescribed backed me up so bad i couldn't even pee. So four days in the hospital, two 1/2 liter enemas, a failed fleet enema, a catheter being inserted into my penis while I was awake, and numerous other pokes prods and the like, I want my roids back. Nothing like wanting stage 3 roids back a week after they were removed. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but sh**ting is so horrible, and I live in an apartment so my neighbors have asked me is everything ok a few times now, and with them being older I explained and each one of them had a story. Now still stitched and ready to move on, I realized this isn't a permanent fix, so if they come back, I'll keep those annoying little fuckers, sure beats hospital stays and high volume enemas.. as fas as work, I was told I'd be out 4-6 weeks, and that seems a little too soon. This is crazy, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss my hemis.

First time poster here.

I just underwent my second hemorrhoidectomy/skin tag removal on 1/28/2009.

I had previously had a hemorrhoidectomy in March/2004 and healed well, however I was left with a skin tag that was becoming a great nuisance. So here I am almost five years later and I went in to have the tag removed. The doctor removed the skin tag and a hemorrhoid he found while down there.

Almost two weeks out now and I'm certainly not healing up as well as I did the first round. I've got what looks to be some swelling in the area and what could possibly be more tags to form in the future?? I hope not!

I have a second follow up on 2/17 in a few days but if I can't get this under control I might try and see another doctor or get an earlier appointment. Hoping to keep this thread alive with success stories.

a

This topic is closed due to having too many posts.

Please continue posting within the following one:

Swelling and Pain After Hemorrhoidectomy Surgery