I'm relieved to hear that others have the same type of swelling down there after the hemorrhoidectomy. I am a little freaked out because whatever is coming out of my butt is worse than the hemorrhoid was. I am 17 days post op and feel pretty good. BMs are still a bit of a challenge but not bad at all. It's just the swelling - it feels like a big roid.

Those of you who have experienced it... has it gone away? How long did it take? My doctor said it is skin tags that are swollen. He says if the swelling doesn't go down and the tags don't go away, that he can just do a procedure in the office to snip it off (sounds easy enough but he also said the hemorrhoidectomy would be easy! hello?!!!).

Any response would be helpful and appreciated.

Glad to have read the last few posts, I have been all morning readinf posts from this forum and it was starting to get scary. I have external ones and my surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday. I have an idea it woud be painful but reading all the other posts I was getting worried. My doctor told me that the recovery period was 1 week to 10 days and all the previous posts were saying that it was their 3rd week and they were still in pain. I was thinking OMG, I'm going to die.

My roids are external and they do not bother me, they don'r bleed, itch or hurt. Do you strongly recommend I have the surgery, I woud actually be having it for cosmetic purposes.

All your input would be great.

Thanks

External hemorrhoids don't bleed. And if they are
not causing you any pain or discomfort when having
standing and walking, why remove them ?

Why have it done for cosmetic reasons ? Your anus
is hidden from view most of the time.

As with any form of surgery, there are risks,
and with the general anesthesia as well.

Although very rare, there have been fatalities
with hemorrhoidectomies, even with banding
and sclerotherapy injection. Sepsis is the main risk.
Go check it up on Medline, since I can't post
links here.

There was a case not too long ago in one of the
private hospitals in Malaysia here. The guy went
to to develop septicemia from the wound, and died.

This is a rare event again, but the risks are there.
The GA can cause thromboses (clots) to form in the
blood stream. In one case here a couple of years ago
in Kuala Lumpur, one young lady who had plastic surgery
for her nose in a private clinic was fine. On walking out
of the clinic, she dropped dead. Although never disclosed,
it was very likely she developed a blood clot from the
anesthesia, which went to her brain and caused a stroke.

there is nothing wrong with doing it for cosmetic purposes -- especially if you are someone who enjoys anal sex. it will be a lot of pain, but probably worth it in the long run.

Just wondering about the results of hemorrhoidectomy. I read about swelling after surgery that appears the hemorrhoidectomy was not complete. I too was beginning to wonder what my dr. removed since there remains a swollen mass that looks like a kidney bean. Will swelling go down and become smooth area??? Just had my surgery 10 days ago and can finally sit almost completely normally now, but not for extended periods of time yet. Please reply!!

just had hemmorhoid surgury 10/12/07 and want to know how lone it took the swelling to go down. was told it was the mass and would go away and know developed rash. don't know what to do.

**edited by moderator**

yup, just had the surgery on WED and was issued some stool softener and some Percocet (wasn't sure why I got so many - 40). After 48 hours I took off the bandages and had some continuous slight bleeding. Am taking 4 or more showers a day and rolling toilet paper between the cheeks from having to constantly change underwear. My biggest fear was the first bowel movement, which came this morning. Man, now I know why I got so many Percocets. It wasn't the actual bowel movement it was a couple of minutes later with the constant sharp pain back there. I thought I would be back to my old self on SUN, better rethink that one.

I just had surgery Thursday morning, now it's Sunday and the pain is blinding. I'm so relieved to hear that others have the same recovery symptoms. I too have what looks like a new roid that is bigger than the original. After reading posts it seems that this is a common symptom after surgery. But I believe the question remains unanswered as to how long this swelling lasts. Does anyone know? It hurts like a mf and I will do anything to relieve the pain it causes. Had a bm this morning and screamed through biting a towel...my god, what horror. So now, I can't sit, get up, walk or make any other sudden movements comfortably. I don't see myself going to work tomorrow. Okay, if anyone has any advice on the swelling that looks like a new roid...please write in. I've got my fingers crossed that this will go away.

many thanks

It's now 5 days after the surgery and things aren't too bad. I still have slight bleeding and leakage, stopped by rolled up toilet paper. Took some advise on day 3 after having a BM and alternated between Motrin and Percocet, however, don't even need now...it just hurts immediately after a BM, not really during. It definitely hurts during coughs and sneezes. I'm just wondering when the blood and leaking stops?

I had my surgery done 8 days ago - hem band ligation, plus scar tissue removal that was causing most of the pain and bleeding during and after BM (I used to go to the bathroom way too many times a day and strain quite a bit, even though I was not constipated), so I developed an internal tear, which over time turned into a scar and was making matters even worse.

Anyway, they gave me pain killers right after the surgery as well as a release sheet that had some instructions, which included a possible need for a laxative as well as other details if needed for after the surgery.

Long story short - I didn't have a BM for 5 days after the surgery. I had taken several laxative pills which didn't seem to help. Also, I had been taking fiber (Psyllium Husk for quite some time - great bulk forming agent, which was important in my case; it is also considered a very good stool softener). So I ended up going for the last recommended measure on that sheet which was an enema. There are several kinds, so make sure to get the one with mineral oil in it as it lubricates the already dry and irritated passage area.
Anyway, the enema was the only thing that helped me with that 'overloaded' feeling in my lower andominal.

To manage the overall pain - vitamin E (get a liquid form so that you don't have to deal with breaking the gel caps every time) and sitz bath (every 3-4 hours, that's what I did- use mineral salts from Batherapy (I prefer the Green one) and/or Epsom salt. Both help with swelling but vitamin E especially helps with the pain (apply topically and gently lubricate the inside too). No other ointments, gels, etc helped! Not in my case, at least.
Even though your doctor might tell you not to change your regular diet - that's BS. I am not a doctor, but I am someone who has learned the hard way what works and what doesn't. So - eat very easily digestible food only, no red meat! No alcohol! Stay away from smoking and coffee too. In fact I was finally able to quit smoking because of that, coffee was never a problem for me as I usually prefer tea anyway (these days I drink decafed tea), so that was not a problem. Alcohol - I can wait till I get 100% OK and then can take it slowly, 1 or 2 drinks max. Continue (or start) taking fiber on a regular basis.

Overall, I have been relaxing a lot, avoiding any stress whatsoever, listening to soothing music and using essential oil candles around my house to maintain a very relaxible atmosphere all around my house.

By the way, after the enema, I ended up spending the next 2 days 'emptying out and cleansing' my stomach. So when that finally ended, I stopped taking any pain medications (so that I would not get constipated again) and would only occasionally take muscle spasm relaxers (valium which they prescribed as well) which i plan on dropping too. Vitamin E is still my best friend, as well as mineral baths. I am already feeling a lot better, so I hope to start exercising slowly and carefullly, as that helps too (as sitting all day is one of the reasons hems develop in the first place).

Hope this helps and best of luck!

also, as someone who has had abscess surgery where the surgical cut ran the length of the anal canal and wasn;t sewed up, I bow to the person who invented Milk of Magnesia. This is the ONLY thing that kept my poo soft enough so that I could heal and not reinjure myself with every excruciating bm. I took 1 1/2Tablespoons per night.

I too had hemorroidectomy on Wed. You described exactly what I am experiencing. Took the mirror and saw that huge swelling and cried thinking I had done this for nothing. Glad to know it is normal. My concern now is the first BM. I have been doing stool softners and a laxative without any results. I get the feeling and it is only gas. My surgeon insisted that I should have a bm by yesterday. I am kind of panicked about it. I am so scared I won't be able to go and end up back at the hospital. The whole thing is embarrassing enough. My Doctor said I would need a week. I don't think you should even consider working this week. Hope this helps. I am so glad I am not alone.

Just had mine done on 11/29. The first two day hurt, but the third day seem to be the most painful of them all. It almost feels like torture. I have to take vicodin every 3 hours to subdue the pain. If I sleep past my medication time, then I'll pay for it with agonizing pain.

The BMs are not as bad and if you have a shower hose, it may be the best thing to use after a BM. Just rinsh and blow dry. The doctor recommended A+D ointment which helps to prevent rashes.

Overall I'm still waiting for the day the major pain will go away.

Take care everyone

I have my surgery planned for Tues, 12/11 pm and am afraid to tell people at work why I am on PTO for 3 1/2 days next week. I figure if I still feel bad on Mon, I will call in sick. I am able to work from home, but really need to be in the office as we are going through a downsizing and need to work out our workload and staffing plans, so I hope I am ready to go back to work by Tues 12/18. Reading the notes above both scare and comfort me. My roids are hereditary - have had them forever (Mom says I was born with them). I am now 45 and while they feel fine now (so fine I am thinking about canceling the appt), I know in a couple of weeks I will have a flare up that will last a week or more. The flare ups happen every 3 months and my last one was in Sept. My sister says I won't regret it. But I am so scared I want to cry. I have my preop physical this afternoon. I'll report back when I am able to, but say a prayer for me please!

I had my surgery on Nov. 14th, and am just the last two days feel like I'm going to finally get over this. After my surgery I was released only to have to return the next day to be catherized because I was so swollen I couldnt urinate. The first week is hazy. My first bm was 4 days after surgery and I thought I was going to pass out. My husband had my bath ready the min I could stand and I layed in the tub for an hour until I could get out and make it to bed, but since then the bm have been getting more bareable. I was glad to see that others have also had the swollen external looking hemroid. I told my doctor and he said it was normal and would go away. I have to admit it seems to be getting smaller. For those facing hemorid surgery, all I can say is as bad as it was I'm actually glad I had it done every day I'm feeling much better. It's different for each person I'm sure. My doctor said mine was HUGE. I had been bleeding so much for the last year I was anemic so I actually had to have something done. Hang in there for those that are post surgery. It does get better. For those facing it, all I can say is do everything the doctor tells you to do and pay your water bill because remember the WARM WATER BATHS are you friend.