It's been 5 days since I had my hemorrhoidectomy. I am in extreme and constant pain. Tried doing all the sitz baths, taking narcotic pain killers, and lidocaine but the pain is still extremely painful especially after a BM. Now I know the saying when they say "rip you a new one." If I knew of the pain that was to be after surgery I would have NOT done this surgery. To the people reading this, THIS SURGERY IS NOT TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY! My doc told me that my pain will be less after the surgery and that is not the case. The pain that I'm feeling now is 10 times worse than before the surgery. I wish I could go back in time and not have had this surgery because of the pain of recovery. It's worse than the actual Hemorrhoid itself. Trust me!

Suck it up. The pain will be gone soon and you will be hemorrhoid free, it was worth it IMO.

It is probably easy for me to say now (3.5 weeks post op) but 5 days is early. I didn't really start to begin to feel human again until after the first week, it was like living in a haze. The aches and pains lasted with me up to the third week.

I found the BMs are the worst bit - the feeling of not having emptied properly, but wanting to finish and get off the loo quickly to try to ease my stinging bottom. I used an upturned shower head to clean myself and followed it by a lay down in a shallow warm bath. That seemed to help.

The painkillers sometimes didn't completely take away some of the aches, but if you have had the surgery you must have needed it. But for heavens sake don't do what I did and stop painkillers when I started feeling better and keep the laxative going! I went 10 times the next day and hell my bum was sore!

Good luck, stick with it and hopefully you will realise it was worth it in the end.

I feel for you.

Well it's been 3 days since my 'most recent' op for the good old piles!
9 months ago I had the stapled anoplexy done, that lasted a whole 4 days (of agony!) before they returned worse than ever. I had the original pain, oozing and bleeding, combined with the post op pain... Happy days!
I had 4 weeks away from work recovering from this for no reason whatsoever.
After recovering, my surgeon decided he would give me a full examination under general as he couldn't understand why they had come back and assumed there must be a fissure causing the pain, and what I thought were piles, was in fact just swelling. You guessed it, I was right.... No fissure or swelling, just big external piles!
Now I've had the hemorrhoidectomy 20/05, was kept in overnight and released the following afternoon. Not sure if anybody else has experienced the severe trapped wind associated with surgery of this type, but let me tell you, it's not at all pleasant. Because the area is very weak after the operation, it's damn near impossible to not release wind. When this happened, I (my clothing and bathroom) realised just how bad the bleeding can be. I had to go back to A&E the same day I was released and re-examined. After testing my blood sugar levels, hemoglobin levels and blood pressure they decided I wouldn't need a blood transfusion for the severe blood loss.
I'm sure if anybody reads this this, they'll be pretty scared of the op and have second thoughts. Let me assure you, I've been very unlucky with it and the form of conscent you fill out before the operation does mention this as a possible, but pretty rare, side effect. I'm just one of the unfortunate people who have to experience this!
Like I said at the beginning of this post, it's been three days now, but I'm noticing a difference already. The bleeding has calmed down dramatically, genuine swelling has started, first BM today was a bit nippy but not painful, and all I really have now is post op pain (which is dying down too).
At the moment I have been prescribed a few different meds to help me through this and they're working wonders:
1. Metronidazole antibiotics to stop infection,
2. Diclofenac Sodium Enteric and Paracetamol for pain relief,
3. Lactulose Solution morning and night to soften stools,
4. And if like me you suffer from trapped wind after surgery, Peppermint Oil helps release this really quickly to avoid discomfort.
This sounds like a horror story but having said all that, I'm glad I've gone through all this as I genuinely believe there's light at the end of the tunnel!
By the way, I'm a 26y/o male in pretty good health other than this.
Good luck to everybody thinking about or going through with surgery in the future, I will check this thread to see how you all get on!
All the best.

Posts: 3

Report abuse

Posted: 05/18/08 - 02:12 Post subject: what is the recovery time for hemorrhoid surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had a hemorrhoidectomy ( hemmroid surgery ). I had one Thrombosed Hemorrhoid. I went to the doc with complaint and i come out of the office 2 hours later with gauze between my cheeks. The doc explained to me what i had and how he was going to fix it. They did not tell me much about recovery until after the surgery. Its been 50 hours and its been touch and go. My first BM was the day after, not so bad. I used tucks pads to help wipe. But i did take two laxatives and fiber chewables plus have had a soft diet, applesauce, grapes, bread and plenty of water. I didnt have to take a bath afterwards. I was not able to lay flat so i slept on the couch and propped my legs up a little. I can't walk very fast but i can walk. Sitting is fine once i get situated. the process to sit takes about 30-45 seconds to figure out what feels good. I have small amount of drainage/bood. I use the cream they gave me after every restroom vistit rather BM or not. I take Advil and painkillers the doc gave me.

My problem was my third BM, i'm not sure what happened i had a soft BM but oh my the pain during and after had me shaking. I couldn't get in the shower fast enough, i was crying it hurt so bad. ( i have had gallbladder, appendix and right ovary and F.tube removed so i no pain) this was bad pain. I took a shower and let the water run, after i got out i took a pain pill. I'm only on my 2nd day and i don't feel horrible HOWEVER i don't let the pain meds wear off. If i had to give any advice iwould say, Dont let the pain meds wear off because when they do, it's a nightmare. I still have discomfort even with 10mg's of Vicodin and Advil and 5% lidocaine cream on the skin.

I have learned that Ice Cream increases the burning pain. I learned he hard way. I ate a sandwich the next day after surgery and it gave me the runs, watch your diet the first couple of days.

I don't know how long it will take to heal, i will post again to let people know my experience

I had a hemorroidectomy 18/10/07(7months ago) and still experiencing bleeding, have only had 4 weeks of no bleeding during this time. Have returned to surgeon twice, he tells me it will settle down. Pain after the operation was equally as bad as before. Giving birth was much less painfull! Was given Agarol,Digesic and Codiene Forte for the pain which in turn caused constipation. Changed to Movicol for softer BM and Tramal for pain. Had sitz baths twice daily. Living on prunes, figs, pawpaw, oatbran lots of water- my shopping list consists mainly of foods for easy BM. Looking forward to the day the bleeding is gone for good.

Had the surgery 14 days ago,only now starting to feel a little better.

Area feels quite raw and dry and theres still discharge which smells a litlle off.Usually doing 5 BM a week which are painful as hell!

Any ideas on how long there should be any discharge and are there any creams I could apply to help soothe the area.

any help much appreciated

This seems to be the closest to my experience as of now. I had the surgery a little more than a month ago and my recovery seemed typical. By the 3rd week, I started feeling close to normal with I just some typical swelling with no bleeding. Then, week 4 started and for reasons that I can't understand, I started to bleed. And it seems like a lot. After a BM, the toilet water looks pink and is pretty shocking actually. This bleeding seems to alternate with one day being no bleeding and the next day bleeding. I have contacted the doctor and am trying to get in to see what's going on.

I thought I was out of the woods on this a few weeks ago. This is all disheartening and I am now regretting having done this. The "relief" has not yet been experienced. I am managing my bowels just like I did before and am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I'm no doctor, but I really don't think you should have any significant bleeding after the first 2-3 weeks. In my case, 1 week was the magic number. I had my surgery on a Friday. The following Friday, my wife and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for wings and pizza. All of that went without any issues. I was still walking a little slow, but I was able to sit in the car and drive, and sit in the unpadded wooded chairs for dinner. I returned to work the following Monday.
Now, I did have a problem about a month later when I started bleeding again. It turns out that I had developed a fissure at the site where the worst hemorrhoid was removed. Every time I had a BM, it would rip open and bleed. From what I was told, this is not a common occurrence. I was stubborn, and waited over 10 years to have this surgery, and was in pretty bad shape. I am still undergoing treatment for that, but it is just about completed.

If you are still having significant pain and bleeding after 4 weeks, and certainly after 7 months as in the case of the previous poster, I would very strongly recommend that you seek a second opinion. The human body shouldn't take that long to heal. It may be an indication that you are not healing, or another issue has surfaced. Don't let this go on indefinitely.

One more tip: Fiber. I went to WalMart and picked up a container of Metamucil. (I don't normally buy name-brand items if I can help it, but WalMart was out of the Equate brand, which works just as well). Make sure you get the Original or Coarse Milled. Don't use anything that says smooth texture or anything similar to that. I found the hard way that doesn't work as well. I started with 3 teaspoons twice a day (morning and night). I'm now down to 2 teaspoons every morning. It will make you have BM more often, but it will come out a whole lot easier. You can take stool softeners along with it, but I recommend one without any sort of stimulant. The fiber will move things well enough, you just want some additional softening.

This was very helpful information for me and seems to be similar to my experience. I'm encouraged to say that I had no bleeding this morning and am off to see the doctor in the next day or so (whenever they can get me in). What did they do to address your bleeding? Did it just go away or was there some additional treatment?

The treatment for the fissure consists of using a cream and a foam twice a day. If I remember correctly, the foam is 2% steroid and the cream is 4% steroid. The doctor advised me that the steriod is absorbed directly in the affected area, and does not linger or travel throughout the body. There is no lasting effect from the steriod.
Both are applied directly to the area with special applicators that are provided. It gave pain relief within 2-3 days, and stopped most of the bleeding in less than a week. I did have one day of bleeding this past Sunday, but it was only once and the pain is now gone. Tomorrow I have my 2 week checkup for this issue. I expect it will be the last appointment.

as someone who has suffere with a fissure for more than 2 years, treatment consists of more than that. First, your dr should not prescribe steroids. those are anitinflammatories and used for hemmies, not fissures. for fissures, thedr should prescribe one of three ointments--nitrogylcerin, diltiazem, or nifedipine. These lower sphincter resting pressure and allow blood to flow to the are so that the fissure can heal. If youre dr prescribes a steroid, run the other way. these can thin the skin, which is the last thing you want for a torn up area. if youaer worries about inflammation, take an ibuporfen.

Buttgirl,
I appreciate your "opinion", but it is just that. My doctor is one of the more reputable doctors in the area, and his prescribed treatment has worked. If you look at all the current commotion about steroids, I assure you the athletes are not using them as anti-inflammatories. Steroids promote enhanced healing and building of muscle and tissue.
I would strongly suggest that if you have had this fissure for more than 2 years, you should shop for another doctor. There is no way it should take 2 years for that condition to heal. Most cases should heal in 2-4 weeks.

A couple of references to this condition and treatment:
familydoctor.co.nz/index.asp?U=conditions&A=14611
mayoclinic.com/health/anal-fissure/DS00762/DSECTION=8

As I previously stated, if someone has this condition, or any other, that persists, you should seek a second opinion. The human body shouldn't take years to heal in most cases, unless there is another underlying condition.

Let me know how that appointment goes. I will keep you posted on my issue as I see the Doctor tomorrow. We'll see if I am , indeed, suffering from the same thing. Sounds like it.