Hello, folks. My husband suffers from serious coronary disease. I think he has a serious narrowing in his coronary arteries. His cardiologist recommends CABG as an option. I would like to know if CABG has proven effective as a treatment. Can you help me with this? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi. CABG is an abbreviation for Coronary Artery Bypass Graft. It is one of the most performed major operations in USA. CABG makes new ways to bypass the narrowed or blocked arteries. In that way, oxygen is being delivered to a heart muscle. Aspirin is necessary to be used after the surgery. In that way, blood clotting is prevented. After 10 years of the surgery, 2/3 of vein grafts are still open. Others are narrowed in small percentage. There is really small percentage of significant vein graft narrowing immediately after the surgery. You should talk to your husband’s cardiologist about this.