My son is 19 and he hurt his ankle while playing basketball. The fracture was so bad that he has to have a surgery. I would appreciate if someone could tell me more about this procedure. I am really worried about him.

Fractures of the ankle range from minor twisting to those that are associated with violent disruption of the ankle and there are two different mechanisms of injury. These two have different effects on the structure of the ankle. In first one there is a twisting mechanism and the body rotates around the foot and in other one a crushing type mechanism impacts the foot. The majority of ankle fractures require operative treatment and surgery is performed with incision on one or both sides of the ankle. Following surgery, a bandage with plaster is applied to the ankle and it remains until the stitches are removed. This usually lasts for about two weeks. If the ankle is not repaired correctly or does not heal well, deformity of the ankle or arthritis can occur. For any additional information it is better to contact your son’s doctor.