I am 17 days post bunion and hammertoe surgery. By far the hammertoe part is THE worse! I had the sutures removed from the toes (or the ends of the dissolvable sutures clipped) and each toe was individual bandaged. Talk about sore and throbbing!!! I am almost regretting that I had this part done. Granted having to exercise my big toe to increase the range of motion is no picnic but it's manageable. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to best handle the throbbing. Vicoprofin doesn't seem to cut it. I take Ibuprofen 800 and it helps a little. Sometimes I ice and elevate but often with no relief. My swelling is moderate but the pain is constant! Ugh :'(

I had a bunion removed and a hammer toe fixed 2 weeks ago.  I heard horror stories but my experience was just fine.  I am having the stitches out in two days.  I am not too sure when he is going to take the pins out but I am guessing 2 to 3 weeks after the surgery.  I was off the pain meds in 2 days.  This whole experience was just uncomfortable and took a lot of patience with wearing the surgical boot.  I hope to be back to work in 1 week and then back to the health club in 8 weeks.  I would not hesitate to have this surgery again if I needed to.

I had a bunion removed and three hammertoes corrected on June 29, 2011. Will have stitches removed tomorrow, July 13, 2011, and back to work on Thursday, July 14, 2011.  Mr repaired foot is an inch narrower than prior to surgery. I've had very little discomfort and no pain pills. The hammertoes have pins for another couple weeks but all in all, I'm very happy. The only challenge was not walking on the repaired foot.  Some Dr's suggest walking on the foot immediately but my Dr wants me to stay off my foot for 6 to 8 weeks.

I had a bunionectomy on each foot and a hammertoe repair on the left foot about 4 yrs ago. The hammertoe was definitely more painful from removal of the pin to even walking on it. Be prepared to feel mild discomfort from here on out--especially in cold weather. It is worse on the extremeties if you have surgical steel or some metal. My toe is straight now but the bone has a thicker circumference since healing and the sides irritate easily (rubbing on the sides of surrounding toes). Also, now that the toe is level (no longer raised), my toe (and shoe size) is longer and there is very limited flexibility--meaning you will no longer be able to 'curl' your toes.

If you have a high pain threshold you will probably be able to tolerate it but there will forever be some mild pain and discomfort after the initial recovery and healing period.

Good Luck

They gave Nicro 5 I took one and made me sick. They make you drowsy and keep you knobbing a lot. So I got me some Tyneol they works just fine. U no it not so much the healing process for me it wad a Mental Thing I thought I was going to go crazy being in the house for 3 weeks. With foot elevated at all times. Good luck on the healing and mental part