Hello!
5 years ago I begun with treatment for anorexia and I somehow succeeded. The problem is now that I gained lots of pound, I am even ashamed to say it ... 30 pounds and I think (and I do, medically proven) I am overweight. I would like to loose 10 pounds and that’s it, no more, because I do not want to return to the old path, I want to loose 10 pounds and I want to do it the healthy way. I just can’t lose weigh after recovery.

Hey!
I do not know if USA, but I guess they are, some diets that are run by nurses and other medically trained stuff. I sincerely recommend you do it with their help. That means, prepared diets, especially for you and also prepared exercises just for you.
Besides that I would recommend you to eat lots of vegetables and fruit, less fat and mostly to follow food pyramid. The most important is to have lots of exercise!!! This is the most important part of every diet – to exercise at least 40 minutes. In this manner do, hat you most enjoy doing, run, walk fast, swim, cycle, dance...

you need to increase your muscle mass. Your metabolism is both disrupted and slowed by your previous actions. Doing cardio and lifting weights while eating a healthy diet.

dont worry about calorie restriction so much at this point, work on physical conditioning. Even just brisk walking for 45 minutes a day is a good place to start.

HIGHLY reccomend strength training to increase your muscle mass, this will increase your metabolism and make maintaining your ideal bodyfat easier.

Hello- i was also previously anorexic- and I gained all the weight back plus about 30 lbs( it was alarming..) But dont worry- my doctor told me that your body is really making up for what it lost- imagine a momentum scale- its pushed hard on one side it will bounce up equally and further on the other.. anyways.. give it a year or two- eventually your life patterns will help you lose that weight.. Dont expect it right away.. It took me a year of college to lose what I gained in high school- which was hte weight I gained back and more( from what I lost due to anorexia in middle school) so really just give yourself some time. What helped me out was that I moved to a big city and just made sure to walk everywhere- I walk thousands and thousands of steps a a day and manage to get everythign done... I dont even notice it.. I dont have an "official" work out plan- but I walk to the grocery store and back, walk up quite a few fligths of stairs to my office and my apartment.. walk all through the parks, downtown, neighboor hoods. even if you live in a rural or suburban area... just walk around as much as you can- try not to worry about time restraints... and eventaully you will be having a very enjoyable calorie burning session and you dont even know it!

hope this helps..

Thanks for telling your story. I also was anorexic, stopped being that way last year, and in the last 7 months have gained about 15 pounds over what I should be. And I can't lose it. I work out regularly and eat healthy... but it's frustrating to be heavy when I'm not doing anything wrong. Can I ask - after a year or so did you see your weight come back down a little and stabilize?

I'm recovered from anorexia and bulimia (5+ years) and have had weight fluctuations over the years. Your weight does stabilize but the most important thing is to always just eat a healthy nutritious diet and exercise to keep your metabolism up and get all needed nutrients. I know that especially for those of us who have been on the complete opposite end of the spectrum before it can be very hard emotionally, but you will be happier and healthier in the long run.

My names Julia. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm going though.

6 months ago I was told I was anorexic. At the time I had an intense fear of, not really gaining weight, just gaining 'too much' weight, so anything like eating snacks or more than what I considered was a 'portion' (i.e. half of what normal people would eat) frightened the hell out of me. I didn't want to become 'greedy' again, despite being skeleton-like thin.

It turned out that the 'greed' I so dispised was actully 'hunger', and as this returned I surrendered to hunger pains, facing my fear after living hell with my parents. Not so long ago over-eating was probably what I needed most, and people praised me the more pounds I put on. But now I'm about 2 stone over what I want to be. I hate looking like I do now...not 'fat', but heavier than I should be. Now my family want me to eat less.

But I can't do it.
I don't want to go back to that place where eating controls all my thoughts, exercise controls my life and I can't enjoy food.

I want to lose weight, but psychologicly something stops me.
The thought of eating less actully makes me want to eat more.
But what if I gain more weight?

Of all people, how can this be happening to me? Who used to be the most obsessive, self disiplined girl in my school?

I too have been anorexic and exercise bulimic for about six years, with various stages of success and struggles, in and out of the hospital, residential, and outpatient treatment programs. Since February I committed myself to getting better permanently, to eating well and changing my entire attitude. By this point, even though I was restricting and exercising a lot, I was not actually underweight at all (though I had been severly underweight years before). Unfortunately, I then proceeded to gain 25 pounds from about May onward. I am still undereating a little bit according to what my nutritionist recommends, and I exercise about 9 hours a week, weight training and cardio. I do not eat anything that is unhealthy. What is going on? I have had my thyroid tested and am waiting onthe results of a cortisol test, but although my thyroid is a bit hypo, my doctor is not going to do anything about it. Everyone keeps telling me I just have to "trust in the process" and "be patient," but I can't stand waiting TWO or more years for this to even out! Does anyone have any similar experiences or suggestions they can share with me? I am trying very hard to continue to be healthy but it's hard to keep eating when you're gaining weight day to day that doesn't need to be gained in the first place.

The normal progress of anorexia is to starve and die. If you make it through that stage, then you are supposed to over-eat and get really fat. Then the fast yo-yo weight stage. And then there is something else which I forget because I quit doing the disease thing in the fat stage.

I got so bloody sick of the docs telling me what I should be doing, this obsessing with food, and so on, and feeling worthless, and inadequate and so on, I just said "screw it." I really felt silly wasting all of my time on that bs. I never wanted to be a fashion model anyways. As far as I know, I didn’t chose to be on this planet, so the planet is just going to have to accept me.

And who sets the standards for weight anyways? The same id**t doctors that tell you to not smoke while they smoke on every break?

If I eat, I eat. If I don't eat, I don't. If I make Fat Albert look skinny, too bad. That is someone else's problem (I’ll sit on them, buwah haw haw haaaa!!!!!). If I am hungry, I am going to eat. If I am not hungry, which sometimes happens, then I'll make sure that at least once during the day I have something, a burger or some soup, not a Big Mac.

Men are soo stupid anyways. They marry fat women, and they marry skinny women. Some even marry fat men or skinny men. Whatever.

I am finally to the place where I can look at food and take it or leave it. I keep three sets of clothes, a fat set, a skinny set, and a set where my body seems to spend the most time. If my skinny pants don't fit, I put on my regular pants and then my fat pants, and if my fat pants are too small, then it's probably that time of month again and I have to go shopping (yes!!!!) and get bigger pants. I look good to myself in all of them. Food no longer controls me, nor do I attempt to control it. I don’t care.

BTW, I'm (gasp!) 40 pounds overweight according to some docs, but my blood pressure is normal, my cholesterol is good, my arteries are clear and staying that way, and I can run a mile without passing out. And this one guy thinks that my “having some meat on my bones” is a good thing, we may have to discuss that further. So what if other guys are dry-heaving when I waddle by. It gives them their daily exercise. (Jerks!)

I don’t know if this helps anyone, but I spent a lot of time reading Dr. Burns’ book, he’s a non-id**t doctor, “Feeling Good”. It really helped get through the fat and yo-yo stage.

I was anorexic for a bout 8 years dropping to 49lbs at my lowest point...i am 5' 9.
I have been in recovery for 10 years and its pretty safe to say that my metabolism has never gone back to normal.
I only eat vegetables, lean meat and high fibre cereals. I weight 154lbs now and cannot lose weight despite excercising regularly and having a relatively low fat percentage 22% and high muscle mass.
I was told that my thyroid is low but the doctor will not prescribe medication as I was anorexic.
I suffer from panic attacks, depression and a whole list of other conditions related to hypothyroidism.
I would go back and pester your doctor for help, and other tests rather than the blood ones...unfortunately they do not do these in the UK.

I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am a "recovered" anorexic...five years now, but I still feel that any moment I could slip back into it. Like many of you, I gained all the weight I lost back, and then some. Technically, I'm 5 lbs over the "upper limit" for my weight range. It was so strange, within a one year time span I had my whole family focused on me, telling me to eat more...and then once I gained weight back they went right back into telling me to 'work out more', 'eat less, 'eat healthy'...just like the did pre-anorexia. It's like they don't realize that they could trigger me any moment. My dad can't have a 2 minute phone conversation without asking me if I worked out that day. It's really painful to think that he wants me to change so much.

I want to lose weight too, I was much happier when I was thinner but I'm VERY scared to get back into that restrictive pattern again. I lost all my friends (as I wouldn't go out to restaurants), had to stop my hobbies (horseback riding, crew, etc) because the doctors wouldn't let me walk more than 15 minutes. I don't know how to lose weight without it turning into my life. I have a very difficult time living in the 'gray'...everything is black and white. I've tried doing the 'gray' thing by slowly building up my working out time or eliminating some bad foods but I don't stick with it because it doesn't feel drastic enough and I don't see results.

You are not alone!!!! I am a recovering anorexic - 14 years now - and while there isn't a day that passes that I don't count out what I eat, I am healthy and sound. In the beginnings of my recovery I gained about 30 pounds, which lurched me into bulimia, and really wreaked havoc on my self esteem and my teeth. My recovery from that was even more of a struggle, but I somehow pulled through, and the strong will of an anorexic/bulimic can do that!!!

Anyway, I started making positive promises to myself. If you can't keep a promise to yourself, who can you promise anything to really?! And that was that I would go for a walk, or a light jog, and I promised myself I would stop worrying about the numbers on the scale. Eventually I promised myself I would stop the scale altogether. Its a long road in recovery. Promise yourself you will get there.

As far as the weight gain goes, it eventually crept back down until I felt comfortable with the reflection in the mirror. Until I felt comfortable in my clothes again. You see, you have deprived yourself for so long that your body is doing its best to preserve itself and your metabolism is hanging on because it doesn't know whether you're going to stop allowing it nutrition again. Train it back into being normal. And promise yourself to be healthy.

You can do it. One of the traits of an anorexic/bulimic is that they are strong willed and determined. Make your determination to be healthy...promise yourself...you will get there. I lost 15 pounds and found myself at a healthy weight.

I am a healthy professional now. I promised myself I would be. I am fit. I promised myself I would be. I am a healthy weight again. I promised myself I would be. I run marathons now. They take me about four hours. There isn't one time that I have run one that I've thought if I didn't have my current body, I couldn't do this!!!

Nicki

Hello!
I just want to thank everybody for sharing their stories now.
I've never accepted to be an anorexic but I did obsess with food for about 6 years. I would lose 10- 15 ponds and then gain them again (yo-yo dieting).
It was not until last December that I was at my lowest and I looked very skinny that I got people alarmed. I'm 5 1' and I was 92 pounds. I felt really weak. I was really depressed. I would get bruises all over my body for no reason. My legs were constantly numb and I stopped getting a period.
I got really scared when I didn’t get my period. Actually I got only 2 periods in 12 months after being completely regular. So I started to eat again to get my period back. I binged on junk food all the time. And then I would diet for 5 days or so.
Well....just like everybody else in the forum has described I guess we all go through the same thing when suffering from this.
Long story short from December last year to October I went from 92 ponds to 117. This is the heaviest I have ever been. None of my clothes fit me, it is really depressing. I do not want to see anybody its kind of embarrassing!
The Good news is:
I managed to keep a healthy diet (I still binge sometimes :-( )
My period is back!
I don’t feel that weak
Depression is a lot better (I still get my bad days)

So I just hope that I can go back to my normal weight that is 105. I am a small girl.
This is just sad that all of us had to go through this. I really think that we all as a society need to modify our eating habits and we should all be aware of what we put on our mouths. Nurturing our body is the most important thing!
Its hard to stay positive but I will try my best! Good Luck to everyone!

Everyone's stories is similiar to mine. I was anorexic for about 3 1/2 years and also an obsessive exerciser and am now fully recovered even though I feel the pull to go back to my old habits.
When I had hit my lowest weight and was exercising about 3 hours daily, my body started changing. It started gaining weight with no apparent reason! Needless to say I freaked out! I stopped eating around 250-300 calories a day to about 100-200, and I even upped my exercising! But I still kept gaining. In about 3 months I had gained 40 lbs.! My mind couldnt accept what my body was doing and I begain bingeing, all the while still gaining weight.
I finally got the help i needed and recovered but my weight kept creeping up slowly. It has been two years and I am at my heaviest ever. Despite exercising 5 days a week for an hour only, and eating healthy (not obsessing), I cannot lose weight!!
I have been to the dr and they have checked for many causes including thyroid! Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Have I just wreaked havoc on my metabolism? Thanks

I just read your post and would be interested in learning more about your story. I am a producer on MTV's "True Life" and we are producing an episode on people with body issues. I think your story might be of some particular interest. If you would be interested in participating in our documentary, please send me a bit more about yourself and a contact number to _[removed]_

you must be 18-26 and reside in the US. thanks!