My mother wants to run lately. I am so surprised, because she was never that type of woman; she always wanted to take care about house, and not her body. Off course, I love this change, but I wonder if she is right. She told me her friend said running could help her with menopausal symptoms. I would like to hear if that is true, could you tell me anything about this.

Running is the simplest, fastest, most accessible way to fitness and good health known to woman. She does not need equipment, a court, or a gym, and she does not need much time. A mere 20 minutes three or four times a week is enough to make everyone fit, although most of us find that 20 minutes is not enough to satisfy our desire to run. When woman stepped beyond childbearing years, it is natural she may find that running eases the discomforts of menopause. It is usually done by improving sleep patterns and stabilizing erratic moods that often accompany this period of changing hormones. It also helps control weight gain associated with this time of life, during menopause. Scientists have no proof that exercise relieves the pains of premenstrual syndrome, but many women reported they feel much better. If physical symptoms do not subside, the moodiness, such as irritability or depression that some women experience during menopause, may dissipate after a good run. Running keeps the muscles of your legs in good shape as you age, but she will need to do some regular weight training to maintain strength in upper body. As for bones, the forces that running exerts on skeletal system stimulate bone formation and increase density. The effects are greatest in the legs, hips, moreover, spine, the latter two areas being the most common sites of osteoporosis and fracture later in life especially during menopause.