has anyone had this done?

what is a credible way of having your gait analyzed?

there is a good running store about 50 miles from me and they will do a treadmill gait analysis. they opened another store about 15 miles from me and when i called they said they haven't gotten a treadmill yet but are still doing gait analysis "in the parking lot" or "down the sidewalk" :umno:

he said the merchants in the plaza are used to seeing people "run" by their store.

i can't see how someone can size up your running gait by watching you run (self consciously ) down a storefront sidewalk once....i imagined a gait analysis to take at least 10 minutes of running, till you kinda get your stride going, which is why i believed a treadmill test would be the only way.

any advice?

I'd drive the 50 miles for your own peace of mind.

I agree with Rob. :o

I always felt like my stride was different when running on a treadmill vs. on land. :strug:

I actually have been trained to do gait analysis.... shocking, I know. ( I used to work in a running store part time).

Drive for the treadmill.

If they doit right, they will use a treadmill and a video camera and they will show the image of your feet on a tv and be able to see it up close.

It is very enlightening.

And, when done correctly, can mean the difference between injury and injury-free running.

Drive the 50 miles and good luck.

An interesting post and interesting replys.

Rocky, why do you want your gait analyzed ? I dare say having your gait analyzed in a running store is geared towards narrowing down a shoe selection, purchased of course from said shoe store.

Brewer is right in that his running action feels different running on a treadmill as opposed to running on road or track surfaces.
They are two different running actions. I do admit though, I have had some runners filmed on a treadmill to pick up bio-mechanical differences.

j1miller, armed with the information from the subject's anaylsis, what was your next move ? Don't tell me I'll bet it was to head he/she to buy brand A or brand B running shoe.

Rocky any qualified athletics (running) coach worth his salt has a far better idea of running analysis/gait than (and I mean no offence j1miller) a person employed to sell shoes. The running action has to be viewed as a whole, not just how your feet invert or evert (pronate-supernate)

A good coach should be able to sort out your gait after watching you run for about 20 minutes at various speeds. What's more before shoes let's get back to basics. A coach should be able to give you drills and exercises to help with your form and help strengthen any muscle imbalances to help with your bio-mechanics.

thanks everyone.

Phar, i am mainly interested in getting to the bottom of what i know is an imbalance in my muscular structure and wondering if my running stride/gait is indeed what i suspect it to be--underpronation. i really just want a qualified or second opinion on this and, yeah, i realize i'm leaving there with a pair of shoes.

i've just had chronic high hamstring pain that maybe pushes me to think i'm wrong afterall in my own gait analysis of being an underpronator.

i would LOVE to have someone, anyone, qualified sit down and talk to me about MY running style and what, at this point, would be best for me. it's incredibly difficult to a) find anyone so qualified in this area and b) to have this "person" take a recreational, middle-aged, soccer mom seriously when i talk about my running......it's as if i am sky diving or base jumping....she must be kidding. if you aren't a college or high-school aged athlete, you're not to be taken seriously. it's odd to me that we, as a society, condemn the inactive for their lifestyle and, on the other end of the spectrum, roll our eyes at a someone like me who, apparently, is out there trying to prove something to someone.

i have been off for 2 weeks, stretching hip flexors, releasing piriformis and psoas problems and de-knotting the sartorius, getting chiro adjustments regularly helps as well. there are some definite structural problems here, i just need to know if they are being made worse by a possible wrong shoe choice (after 5 years in the same style!)

it's my gut feeling that a gait analysis needs to be done in a lab, as Phar said, with a camera and post run analysis kinda thing. me, running across a parking lot in a sleet storm just doesn't seem credible. and altho the treadmill test in store would be more telling, what i'd really appreciate is connecting with someone in some sort of lab setting that could do a more thorough evaluation of the entire person.

thanks everyone, this forum boils down to the only good advice i may get and it is really appreciated. you all are great!

Yep, the next step was to direct them to the shoes... not between type A or B, but Cushio, Stability, or Motion Control based on their biomechanics.

Typically, they came into the store for shoes anyway, so it is not exactly like I was giving them something they did not want.... just giving them a better fit of something they did want....

Best of luck!

I've had it done a couple of times by sports medicine people. They weren't trying to sell shoes, though maybe their therapeutic services. Both times I learned a lot that proved useful. The PT who did me the first time turned out to be a real prophet. He predicted in great detail exactly what would plague me. I mostly didn't listen, but six years later, it turns out he was right about everything. If I were you, I would find a sports medicine practice that does gait analysis and drive however far it takes to have them check you out. Then pay attention to what they tell you.