I have just started the south beach diet and am in the first two weeks (phase 1) my run yesterday was such a struggle. My hopes are that when I get to phase two and a little more carbs that things will be all right. I am trying this eating plan to maintain my cholesterol levels without drugs. Of course in the long run if it interferes with my running, well the SBD will have to go. Has anybody else found peace with this diet plan?

Bicycling just had an article on it. It does warn the first 2 weeks you'll feel like c**p during exercise. You are not getting enough carbs for your workouts.

It is getting better marks then the atkins diet because your return to 'normal' eating in a few weeks. It is mostly ment for sedentry people. Slightly reduce your calories and eat heathlier (can't we all) to see the best, albeit slower, results. But, the results will last too.

Diets in general DO NOT work over the long term because of the deprivation factor, which often leads to binge eating, or at the very least, inappropriate food consumption. Best to develop an athlete's eating plan that you can live with for life.

Two good books to check out, depending on your training needs:

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
Endurance Sports Nutrition by Suzanne Girard Eberle.

Get more educated on the caloric/food type requirements of an active person and you'll see why the whole diet thing is a bunch of c**p and generally unhealthy. Bob is right, these quick fix weight loss programs are mainly for very overweight, sedentary people, not people like us who work out more and thus need more nutrients and calories in order to fuel our workouts. I was quite overweight when I started running three years ago and have lost a lot just by sticking with it and making little changes to my eating habits and most of all, NOT denying myself the occasional choice of goodies or junk food. The less you think you can't have something, the less the desire that you MUST, see??

As Bob and Genie alluded to, it's all about behavior modification and MODERATION in calorie consumption.

Eat like your mother told you as a kid and you should do fine.

I'm not actually trying to lose any weight, I'm good that way.
It's eating the way my Mom taught me too thats kind of the problem.
Heart diease and high cholesterol is so prevalent in my family.
Running alone with a low fat diet didn't have much effect on my bad cholesterol. I had to go on Lipidor (spelling?) and that got it down, I just don't want to be on those drugs anymore.
I know I need to find a better way.

My opinion....I'm still not convinced that there is a link between fat in food and high cholesterol. My father's blood pressure and cholesterol was out the roof a few years ago. He was on Atkins for a number of months and his weight dropped, blood pressure dropped and cholesterol dropped. Now granted he would have been unable to go through this diet change while say running or swimming everyday. But I have an opinion about the "food pyramid" and it's origins.

The eating habits of skinny people over thousands of years compared to a "pyramid" which has been seen as gospel for not even 50. Combine this with a "fat free" industry which makes billions of dollars a year.......and what do you get? The fattest civilization in history.

I have come to the conclusion that the answer is somewhere between Atkins and the Pyramid.

NO PROCESSED FOODS!!! IF it comes in a package, forget it.

Lots of fresh meats (especially beef and fish), lotsa fresh vegetables (throw away that canned sh!t), lotsa fruits, some fresh cheeses, good pasta and grains on occasion.....don't forget plenty of water and a little red wine This combined with a good exercise program = living skinny forever. Well that may be a litle extreme but at least living a skinny, healthy life.

Hey but I'm a fat guy...whata I know.

ktvol: good luck then! I am proud of you for changing your ingrained eating habits. My mother fed us very healthy, but since she came from a very poor background with little food, food tended to take too important a role in our home. We ate well and we ate healthy, but we ate a lot. I have had to really take a look at why I eat what I eat--and I have made many changes in our diet. (Nothing drastic, just healthy little changes that have added up to good decisions overall)
So, congrats and good luck!