Anyone here a member of a running club (offline )? If so, how do you like it? What does it all entail?

I just found a local running club last night that I may join but wanted to see if anyone here has any input on the matter first...

joel

I do not belong to one.

I have thought of starting one here in Dell Rapids. But I have too many extra-curriculars as it is. If someone in town started one, I'd probably join.

My club here in town is 2 years old and as one of my running buddies puts it, I'm "a pusher". We've only got a couple dozen members and there's isn't much more than monthly meetings and group workouts we try to schedule weekly through the winter and spring when motivation is the toughest. Our biggest undertaking is putting on a certified 12km race. We have two of those under our belt now and have gotten good reviews, so I'm hoping it'll be around for a while. Being in small town usa, a club is the easiest way to learn the who's who in local running.

I would like to start one in the town I live in but don't know how to go about it. They have running clubs in St. Louis that have things going on all the time but its a 45 minute drive for me. I'd like something closer.

would not join one

i like the solitude of running
and the occasional race

do not need the club to inspire me or things like that
it is just not for me
for some it is great

I think I would like to join one. I think it would help in my motivation, and Batjac is going to pass me up in no time and then I will have no one to run with. :cry:

I wouldn't mind joining one for long runs. I find it pretty boring to run for over an hour.

I'm with Joe on this one. I like to run by myself or with the dog or maybe once in a great while a friend, but I like the solitude. It clears out my head and lets me have some "me" time. I can stay out as long as I want, go my own pace, take a {gasp} walking break if needed. It's just more peaceful.

I am in an in-line skating club; to me, that is a much more "social while participating" sport. I like it. It's fun, there's people at different levels so no one gets left behind, we occasionally go out after a skate and drink beer, etc. I've not had as much time for it as I'd like lately.

My husband and I belong to one here in Charlotte. We both like it. Dave occasionally runs with them, but I do not. I run alone, but might start to do longer runs with them on the weekends every now and then for a change of pace. We go to the dinner meetings once a month. It's great for meeting other runners, getting opinions on races, and having friendly faces to hang out with after the races.

Wouldn't hurt to goto a meeting and see how it is.

I've been in one for about 9 years now. It's great for me because it truely motivates me to run longer than I would if I ran alone. I use to meet with them every Saturday and Sunday(and some week nights), but now I only run with them about 4-5 times a month. I also feel the club helped me to improve my times. When I joined the club I had just run my first marathon, a 3:50:59, then next year I ran the same marathon in 3:30:34, so really the club helped me take 20 minutes off my time!
Clubs are also great for socializing, time goes so much fast on a 20 mile run when you are with friends chatting, and joking around--just like we do here, except live and in person

Could you imagine how much fun it would be if we could all run in a club together?? :D

You can bet that it would be me trippin you all during our runs!!! But I'd apologize with a cooler full of Schlitz afterwards, baby!

joel

I'm in the Purdue Running Club. I enjoy it quite a bit. I feel an increased need to be out running everyday. Plus even in your bad days, you have friends around to pull you through the run.

Many times, there is also some faster people in the club that will help you pick up your pace. I almost always go out with the fast group and we push each other all of the way to the finish. I doubt I would push myself that hard if I was by myself.