OK, I need information about this topic.

I've used both and it seems to me that running is harder then the TM. BUT, when I use the TM I can work my heart rate up higher for longer periods, can run longer, and it isnt as hard on my joints.

Question- what are the different pros/cons of each?

Thanks for the help!
Kelly

I think my treadmill is harder than running outside. I've put a couple of different bikes on there and for the most part, the treadmill runs about .3 MPH slower than the bike speedometer indicates.

Here's a nifty chart that compares treadmill to outside running times.

http://trinewbies.com/run_treadmill_chart.asp

My 2 cents. INSIDE Pros: -Don't have to deal with traffic. -Don't have to deal with inclement weather. -The pace you set makes you go that pace - and you can always adjust it. -Inclines are good for you if you live in a relatively flat area. -Treadmills are relatively easy on the feet and ankles. OUTSIDE Pros: -You get used to different weather conditions - stuff you may well be racing in. -You can run on different surfaces. -You have variety in the courses you pick. -You can hook up with friends/a running club/etc. for camaraderie, a sense of competition and so on. -If you're on a budget, you may not be able to get a treadmill. Running outdoors costs you nothing. If you run on a tread at a gym, you may not get immediate access to a machine, or your time on it may be restricted.

i've done alot for upping my pace on the treadmill. i have no clue about pacing while i'm on the road, plus i like to devote more attention to stuff like traffic while i'm outside.

treadmill has been great for speed workouts for me. again, i can go to a really nice track, but do not have a feel for the pace i will run an interval in if it's not "flashing" in front of me. :oops:

i love running outdoors though, just for the fresh air and scenery. at the moment, most of our roads are really constricted and narrow due to the snow banks on the sides of the road so i feel inside is just safer now.

i try to get outside at least 2 days a week though, more when the weather is nice.

:wavey:

remember about the mill, the pace stays constant at what you set it so you can't slack, so as a training aid and speed work it is invaluable.

get a fan and have the fan on it will keep you much cooler.
drink lots of water