%-) I am a 29 year old mother of a 3 & 5 year old and a caregiver to my 60 year old father. I have been abusing lortab 10 for a little over 2 years now. It satrted after i was prescribed lortab from my dentist. After they stopped working I began taking them to get high. I started with 1-2 a day, now i am @ 15-20 a day. I have tried weening myself off, but if i have a lot, i'm gonna take a lot. It didn't work. I've tried "cold turkey" but i was only able to go 2 days before i had to take some to get rid of the AWFUL withdraws. I can't deal with the chills, runny nose, loss of appetite, fuzzy feeling in my head, diareha, insomnia, & last but not least...... NO ENERGY! I have heard of suboxone and am curious if it works well enough to get through the withdraws and to stop using them completly? How would you come to a doctor to tell him you are addicted to lortab and you have been getting them off the streets, (i know it i am REALLY worried and a wossy) but I have good reason to be, yet I might be trying to justify my problem....... I also used to have problems with other drugs which cost me the custody of my kids, but now have been completly drug free until I started taking these..... I DID regain custody & got my life back to the 'norm' in 2007, but now have this monkey on my back. I am probably just paranoid to ask a doc about suboxone or help to get off these, but i need feedback to feel more confident. I went to rehab and was VERY INVOLVED with A.A. the 1st time i got clean so i know i can do it, JUST GOT TO GET THROUGH THE WITHDRAWS...... PLEASE CAN I GET SOME ADVICE? %-)

Hey Ashby81 :-D I am happy to hear that you WANT help! That is the 1st step...admitting that you have a problem. I'm not sure if you got my reply on your last post so I may be just repeating myself here. I am like you and not strong enough to taper off because the more I have the more I take so for me I had to just STOP!!! The withdraws are going to be terrible for the first 4-5 days but when you make it past day 5 its all a mind thing. Notice I said "when you make it past day 5" I did not say if because I know that you are strong enough to make it :-) It will be very hard , especially since you have small children who need you. Do you have a trusted friend or family member who can help with the kids while you detox? If so, call them and let them know what's going on and that you need their help. I know the thought of withdrawal is scary for you but think of how life will be for you and your family once you overcome this. Please keep posting on here and I will keep reading :-) When I feel the urge to take a pill I come here and read other peoples stories...it helps to know that you are not alone. Take care and God bless

thanks for reponding... your advice gives me a little encouragment to not be so scared.... i have quit using drugs in the past, i mean hard drugs, so i know if i put my mind to it i can stop..... i have 5 pills left and the anxiety is already setting in... its my kids spring break this week and i hope when these 5 are gone, i can just focus on them and not the fact that i have no more pills. how do you deal with the withdraws? if i could get past those, i will be okay.. the only person i feel comfortable telling about me trying to detox would be my husband and he really wants me to stop, but he loses his patience and doesnt understand how i feel when i go through withdraws..... do you know anything about suboxone? if it could help me i want it.... if you were in my shoes, how would you ask a doctor(who desn't give you a script for meds) that you have been getting them off the streets and are now addicted and wanting to see about suboxone? I am too ashamed & scared to ask, but deep down, i just want to ask and stop worrying about the docs reaction, help..any advice? :|

Good Morning Ashby81 :-D I am glad to see you are still here talking this out with us. As far as suboxone I really don't know much about it except that you can also become addicted to that and the withdraws could be worse for you. Have you googled it? Maybe you should so you can get a better idea of what it does for you.

Try saving your 5 pills for when you really need them. Don't take them all at once, try one a day or 1 and a half...it may or may not ease the wd's everyone is different. As far as me dealing with it....there are a few things that have helped that I would recommend you have on hand. #1 Imodium! For the bathroom issues ;-) Also some bananas for the restless legs and cramping at night. Lots of water and/or gatorade and most importantly some b vitamins...they will help give you energy that you need to get up and take care of your kids and house work. If you like energy drinks they help too. I take 2 benadryl to help me sleep but you can choose whatever sleep aide you prefer....not xanax or valluim because you can become addicted to those as well...I also would not smoke pot like a lot of ppl here will tell you to do....it's a drug! You do WANT to stay sober don't you??? :-)

As far as your husband not understanding what you are going through...it's hard for someone who has never had an addiction to understand what we are dealing with here. The only thing you can really do is talk to him about how you are feeling and let him know that you need his support right now. Was he there when you detoxed in the past?

And back to the suboxone...I honestly can not answer this question....start with google....type in suboxone dr. I know that not any dr can prescribe it, only certain ones...which, I do not know but I'm sure google will tell you ;-) I would be very very careful and think this thru though....do you REALLY need it or can you stop all on your own??? If you decide that you do need it I would just be honest with your dr and just say "I need help" I would like to imagine that any GOOD dr would want to help you better your life :-) Good Luck!

And btw...today is day 4 for me and I feel great! The thought is still in my head...I would love to have one of your 5 pills right now...that's what my addict brain is saying but my heart says no...I can do this!!! And I know that you can too :-D My wd's are all gone except the restless legs at night and thanks to the b vitamins I have some energy. Gonna shower now and take my kids to see a movie :-) I hope you have a great day!

:-D THANKS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH and by the way congrats on day 4!!!! i will google suboxone and talk to a doc.... and the pot thing i am a regular smoker, it calms me down, helps with nausea, and gets my appetite back, i know its a drug but really no excuse.... when i got clean the last time i stopped using crack... i quit cold turkey, but dont remember withdraws from that stuff and my husband and i stopped together so when i talk to him about how i feel, i think he will understand.... i am proud of you and hope i can be proud of myself.... hopefully i will be @ day 1 soon.... tell me one thing... how do you work yourself to get up out of the bed in the mornings, that is one of the hardest things? well thanks agin and i will check back soon to see if you have reponded and i hop you will still be here for support and if you need me i aqm here for you.... when i got clean the 1st time i was very involved in A.A. and have a strong spiritual belief and know my higher power will help me through this, just hope you will be too... ;-)

The first two days were the worse. Day one I didn't get out of bed much. I took imodium and that helped my tummy. Day two my fiancé said okay let's get up and do something. So I did. And honestly I felt better getting out of the house. I'm not gonna lie, it sucked bad! But once I got up and going it wasn't so bad. Take some b vitamins. I promise it will help. If you can't find the energy to get out if bed for a couple days it's ok. Just watch movies and chat online. Anything to get your mind off of it. Sex is always a good idea:p

Hang in there girl! I hope you make the decision to get clean and stay clean. Did you take the 5 pills you had? Write back soon:) xo

hey girly... i ended up taking my 5 pills this morning... i am having a really hard time though... i am probably trying to justify my using but i have to get my father, whom is disabled, to the doctor the next 3 days... i am scared i wont be able to try and detox until i know i have a few days where i dont have a lot of obligations, like monday when spring break is over. all i would have to worry about doing is getting my oldest daughter to school, pick her up and make lunch & dinner, then when my hubby gets home from work, he can help me put with the rest of the days duties @ home. Does that sound rediculous? i just know how i'm gonna feel and if i have a lot of things to do, it will be much harder for me to deal with the withdraws. if i wait till monday, iknow i can lay around, take imodium, hot baths, watch movies(like you suggested) and not have to be put in public while i am wuthdrawing. i feel my chances of success will be much greater quiting cold turkey if i am not obligated to do so much stuff the day i decide to stop, because TRUST ME, i do want to stop... do you think that is a good plan? i am gonna buy probably 20 more for the next few days and the weekend, if they last, and make monday MY day 1. i am so pleased to know i have some feedback from someone in my situation and hope you'll be here 4 me, especially on monday if thats what i decide to do... i AM NOT backing out of my decision to quit, just wanna do it and not relapse, what is your opinon? %-)

By the way, you made it to day 5? i hope so .... your story gives me the drive motivation and hope that i can do it too :-D

Hey Hun! Yes I have made it to day 5:-) I had a few moments today when I was craving so so bad but just kept myself busy with the girls. We went to the movies and to the zoo and had a great day. The compulsion is still here in my head but I am hanging in there. As far as buying more to make it to Monday...I am totally against it and feel that you are making excuses for yourself. I am here for you anytime. I check back often waiting to hear your response. Believe me, I understand why you feel this way. I really do. But after you take those 20 the wds will not be any easier. It's a vicious cycle. If you feel thats what you need to do I will still be here every step of the way. The one thing that keeps me going right now is knowing that if I take them again I will be back at day one. The worst day!!! Please stay strong and fight this. I'm here for you always!!!

Also... Think of it this way. If you quit today you will be over the worst part by Monday:)

:'( i wish i could say the worst part will be over with on monday, but i cant... i ended up buying more today to get myself through the weekend. i want to hide myself from the world when i detox, so i have decided to wait till monday.. I KNOW, I KNOW... EXCUSE AFTER EXCUSE but i really want to succeed when i do stop and try to make that commitment..... i have already asked my hubby to buy me some products to help me through the withdraws and he will.... i just know myself, and if i am obligated to do too many things i will run to get some tabs to have the "energy" to do those things... i dont want to try then fail because i will give up too easy.... if i was head strong like you seem to be, my success rate would be much greater, but i have my mond set on monday ttyl, hope to hear back :$

:-D just googled suboxone doctors... found a directory in my area.. should i call in the morning? what do i say? i know it, i am so needy please some advice on how to say it i am bad with words

I think you should really read the forums on suboxone withdraws. I hear they are worse. I wish you would just be strong and quit cold turkey. It won't hurt you. The withdraws will be just like the flu. Tell everyone u have the flu. But. If u think u r not strong enough to do this on your own just call the dr and say...I'm addicted to opiates and I need your help. Any good dr will want to help you thru this. Just be sure to take them as prescribed and not abuse them because the withdraws will be much worse and last 2 or more weeks vs 5 days. Today is Fay 6 for me cold turkey and I feel wonderful!!! My energy is back and it nice not to plan my days around my next pill. I know that you can do this if u really want to. You just have to make up your mind:) take care and ttys. Hugs

:-D hey Ali1982... sorry i never responded yesterday... was busy @ doctors, paying bills, and playing with my kids..... i'm not afraid to let you know my storyu, so here it goes... i was like you when i was a child. my parents were broke, we were kicked out of my house @ age 9 and moved in with my grandparents. i went to this uppidy ass school in a nice part of town where i did not fit in... i started smokin pot @ age 15 and then discovered xanax, valium, and pain pills... i caught 2 D.U.I.'s before i was even 21... went through a drug court program and stopped drinkning, smoking, and popping pills for about a year and a half.... my life was a mess for a while then my boyfriend, who is now my hubby, and i traveled with hihs job from columbia, MO to Baton Rouge, LA and then back to memphis, tn (where i live). one afternoon while we were house sitting for my aunt,m i walked out into the garage and found my boyfriend smoking something... it was crack. my dumbass saw how screwed up that got him and i wanted to try, but he begged me not to... wished i would've listened because "the DEVIL"(crack) really took conrtol of my life.we ended up back in columbia missouri got our own place and was srtung out on this sh*t.... i ended up getting prgnant and could not stop smoking that sh*t.... lost our apartment and ended up back @ my boyfriends parnts in mississippi and the whole nine months, i kept smoking. when my first daughter was born, she tested positive for cocaine... its horrible i know, but thank God she was born healthy. DCS threatened to take my daughter from me if i didnt go to rehab and this program called baby love. i quit smoking for a good 3 months, but once i was through with the program, i relapsed. it was pure hell for the next 2 years.... i would lie, steal,and hustle from anyone or any bussiness to get $ for the dope.... found out in 2007 that i was prgnant again. but of course crack had me and i couldnt stop... every morning i would wake up and say i'm not gonna smoke crack today, but i always ended up getting more dope cuz i felt so guilty about smoking it while pregnant, just like you said a revolving cycle.... smoke crack, feel guilty, feelings of shame, smoke to get rid of feelings, felt guilty, smoked, and so on...... well to sum this part of my life up, i never could quit b4 i had my second daughter and she ended up testing positive for cocaine too. (I KNOW IT, I AM A HORRIBLE PERSON) but it made me hit my bottom, it was a blessimg in disguse. both my girls were taken from me for 6 months until i got straight. it was a blessing because i wanted my daughters back so badly i put everything i had into getting myself clean... i went to an out patient rehab and joined A.A......i was able to stay clean for 2 & 1/2 years, get my kids back, had a good job, and got a place of my own.... my husband got clean with me too. so to say, I've done this b4 with a much harder drug and overcame it. just don't understand why quiting these is so hard... i bam still planning on Monday, but i am already having anxiety with the thought alone. i am SOOOO glad you are here for me it is really comforting to know that.... i dont know how to send you a private message on here but i will write to you through your e mail....when i read your post the first time on this site, i thought of myself and am really glads to have found you.. i will stay in touch daily and am begining to say a little prayer that i can get trough day 1, i am scared to death. hope you are doing okay, what day were you finally freed of those horrible withdraws, and by the way how many pills were you taking a day and how often did you take them? every day? how long were you on them? months, years? just wondering cuz i am @ like 20 a day. well ttyl gotta go take care of my fateger LOL :-)

Good morning Ashby! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was in bed sick all day. My kids had strep and now I have it:(

You are not a horrible person. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Have you tried counciling? Sounds to me like you could
Really use some self esteem and motivation. You can't keep beating yourself up over this. You have to take action. Tomorrow is monday and I hope you decide to do this!

The first time I was addicted I was taking anywhere from 10-15 10/325 per day. Everyday for about two years. It was bad. I would spend all the money I had to get my fix. Not a cheap habbit. This time it's been about 4 or 5 months but back up to 15 10/325 a day. Everyday. First thin I would do is reach for my pills before I could even get my kids ready for school. Pathetic. The first time I quit the wds lasted about 10 days. Weren't as bad after about day 7 though. This time it was much easier. 2 days of feeling like sh*t but imodium was my savior:) after the withdraws are gone you really need s support group. (so do i) it's hard to stay clean in your own.