Hello. I am a bit worried. I’ve been searching the internet to find some food recipes for my dog because he’s been having some digestive problems lately, and I don’t know how, but I ended up reading some article about Addison’s disease in dogs. I read all about it and it sounds terrible. My father says somebody told him that the mother of my dog has this same disease. Do you happen to know, if my dog for example had this disease, how would I be able to recognize it? Are there any symptoms? How would I know that is an Addison’s disease?

Observe! That is the main thing. This disease is primarily a disease of female dogs. The main symptoms are vague and many animals can have some symptoms even before this disease is diagnosed. So, symptoms are : anorexia, vomiting, lethargy, muscle weakness. One you see that this is something that your dog is going through, you should visit the vet immediately to avoid bigger complications. There are three different forms of Addison’s disease – primary, secondary and atypical. Sometimes, your dog can be really depressed, and you should consider this as a symptom of Addison’s disease. They can have sparkles in their eyes as well. 

This disease sucks. My friend’s dog has it. I remember when he first got it, we had no idea what is happening with him.

You would notice some symptoms.

Have you noticed that he is losing weight? Or the lack of appetite?

Dogs with Addison’s disease often have diarrhea, low temperature, blood in feces…

There are many other symptoms like: depression, dehydration, weak pulse… Sometimes painful abdomen and hair loss.

Have noticed him taking more water than usual? That could also be a symptom. Also increased frequency of urination.

Why did you came up with the idea that your dog has it in the first place? 

I came up with that idea when my father told me about my dog’s mother, she has this disease.  I asked him if that can be transmitted to her puppies. And he told me that he doesn’t know. A man who adopted the mother actually lives nearby, and my father knows him very well.

He says that her hair falls off and she drinks a lot of fluids. My dog does that too, so I am freaked out.

Maybe I just panicked, it’s probably nothing. He is drinking a lot of fluids because it’s hot. That must be it.

He doesn’t have any other symptoms.

Symptoms are not the same for every dog. I remember when my friend’s dog had this disease, it was really terrible. Unfortunately, he was really weak and he died. But, the commonly symptoms in dogs are : lethargy, lack of appetite that can lead to anorexia, weight loss, shaking, depression, dehydration, collapse, low temperature, hair loss, very painful abdomen ( and you can notice this), also your dog can be really thirsty, it can urinate a lot. Some people just don’t pay attention on several symptoms, but we should observe everything that is different than before. That is the only way to prevent this horrible disease. 

Thank you so much. I will be paying closer attention to my dog’s behavior . But I think that everything is fine. I just tend to be over dramatic when it comes to health of the people (or in this case animals) I love.

My dogs doesn’t have any symptoms. His hair loss is a completely normal and natural process, I asked a friend who has a dog of the same breed. They just shed a lot more they the majority of other breeds do. That’s their way to lose old or damaged hair.

So he should be fine. Thanks for your answers though.

Hello. 

It is very unlikely that he has Addison's disease but I recommend regular check-ups with your vet.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any effective ways for prevention of this disease (unless your dog is on steroids in which case slow tapering can be successful), so just keep an eye on him.

When my Molly had Addison’s first symptoms were lethargy, vomiting and shaking. It was awful to see her like that. Luckily, a childhood friend of mine is a vet who lives nearby and he diagnosed Addison’s in less than a week when first signs appeared. That’s why she made it though.