Legend
According to the story Your smile goes farther than you think being happy affected even those people you didn't know.

I wonder if happiness could be contiguous?

smiling goes a long way!

I make it a policy to smile every day and it definitely does help. I found out that it helps release endorphins so I would say it's worth the time. What do other people think?

Going back to the OP, I'm a part of the 'tight git' brigade and never tip :-P

Yeh its got to be good to smile and even have a good old belly laugh every now and again. You may not think it but just forcing a smile does do a lot to cheer you up if your down. XD :-D :-) :-P

Hey that's all well and good, but be sure that you don't do that in the States, mister! People here work solely for tips (I made $2 an hour--all that goes to taxes) so you really should remember that if you visit. ;)

Thats awful healthguy. If that was the case I'd probably feel so bad I'd be rather generous.

Over here its been known for employers to take the tips and subtract that from the waitress' wages to avoid having to pay them the minimum wage. Pretty much signalled the end of me ever leaving tips.

That is really sad to hear that employers do that too though, because it means that waiters don't feel like they did a good job. I waited tables for a few years and bad tips usually left me feeling like I wasn't good enough. But then again that's why I don't wait tables now.

Celebrity
I never tip in restaurants and bars ... I am European though :-)) :-P

I always tip my hairstylist - about 20% ( I have long hair, so I cut my ends once in a while approx 4 times a year) my husband says I am way too generous.. I read somewhere that women mostly tip hairstylist.

Nope, never tip my barber either. They charge enough as it is without me adding any more on :-P

I actually teach a class occasionally about customer service. The best thing about a smile...it's universal. It needs no translation! Smiles lower anxiety...let people take their guard down...

I always try to be cheerful when dealing with service people. It's worth a million to see them smile. Particularly if I'm behind some bast**d who just gave them a real ration of s**t.

My wife and me were in a local fast food restaurant we went to often one time when the 16 oz. glass of milk I ordered with the meal hopped off the server's tray into my wife's lap. The poor girl was mortified. We began laughing because it just seemed really funny and we tried to calm her but she was still pretty upset. They gave us the meal for free but I left a tip that was more than the price of the meal in case they made her pay for the free meal. Many restaurants are pretty cheap that way. They make servers pay for broken glasses, dishes etc. and for the bill on a customer who skips without paying.

My years of attending bar at the local watering hole gave me some insights too. Insurance salesmen are the cheapest of the bunch. They sit at a table with a community tab. Then when it's time to pay they argue over who owes what for 15 minutes and they each leave exactly the portion they think they owe. They leave it on the table and get up and leave. It's usually short a drink or two and never includes the tax. Of course there is nothing left over for a tip.

The ladies bowling league is fun to watch while they take a similar amount of time to figure out who owes what, but they usually leave the correct amount but not much of tip.

At the bar, the ones who stiff the bar tender are usually driving a Cadillac or some other luxury liner. Also people who drive VWs almost never leave a tip, except for the "Hippies" with a VW bus.

I sat next to the judge who was sitting on a murder trial at the court house, one night. I didn't know who he was at the time and he was so obnoxious that I left after one drink. I left the money for my drink on the bar along with a tip as the bartender was out back at the time and I didn't want to wait for him to get back. The next night the bar tender hit me with "you stiffed me last night". I told him what happened and he knew right away I wasn't lying. He was familiar with the judge and he told me the judge took it. He has to watch him real close because he steals tips off the bar whenever he gets the chance.

I always leave a good tip because I've seen how they get treated by many customers, and the IRS.
Most wait staff get paid far less than minimum wage because the IRS allows it. To add insult to injury some years ago the IRS went on a campaign to maximize their tax collections. They made the employers add the value of a meal to the assumed wages because they assumed the waiter/ess got to eat a free meal while working. They also had a formula to figure the tips that had to be added to the pay for tax computation.

During that same persecution campaign they mandated that all types of employee benefits for all employees be added to wages for tax computation. My racing partner was the parts manager at a garage where he took the parts delivery truck home until the IRS said they had to add the use of the truck to his wages. That edict basically did away with the traditional vehicle use by all people at garages, including salesmen. At the TV shop where I was working many of us took a vehicle home because there was no place to park them at the store's location. The owner basically said F.U. to that IRS edict and we continued to take them home.

To show how F'ing cheap the IRS was, I was a director at the drag strip at that time. We generally figured it was our job as corporate directors to be present at some of the races to see how things were going. We usually helped out around the place where ever it appeared needed. For larger events we hired many extra people to man the gates. If an inexperienced ticket seller was getting grief from someone who thought he should be getting free admission or something, they usually appreciated having someone in back of them with the authority to settle the dispute. We also watched things like lines at concession stands to see what was holding them up if they were getting too long so we could discuss those things at the next board meeting.

The IRS decreed that the company was to keep a record of which directors came to a race and add the value of the ticket to the money we got paid for being directors --- so they could tax it. The work around for that one came from a disk jockey at the radio station where we did a lot of advertising. We gave them free tickets to use as promotions for every race. The directors tickets were subtracted from those. Since they were free to begin with, there WAS no value.

smile is contagious ..someone has said an apple a day keeps the doctor away..someone added to it ..a smile a day keeps the apple away.. :-)

smile has unforseen benefits to physical and mental health. this is also clinically proven to help you fight illness.