I was just skimming through a book last night and it posed that question.

I guess that the majority a values passing has (hopefully) happened by example. The rest from on the spot lessons as something came up and some from church.

What about you?

How did your parents pass their values on to you?

main ones were hard work and self reliance.

others are stand up for what I beleive.

help those in need

I plan on modeling those plus other for my kids.

I guess mostly through example and through the way we expect them to behave.

My kids are both big into sports, although they are only 5 and 7 years old. Of course, their Dad is a coach...

I also think sending them to parochial school is a good step in this direction, nothing wrong with public schools, I went to one myself, but I do feel there is a little something extra gained from a parochial school.

I agree with what you said coach. When Madelyn O'Hare won and they began taking morality values out of public education many people around here began paying to send their kids to a Catholic school nearby even the protestants.

An example of what they learned in public school happened one day when I saw what appeared to be someone breaking into my neighbor's house. I called the cops and my son asked me why I did that when we didn't get along with him?

It may be up to parents to teach the values they have but it's also up to the school where they spend most of their waking hours to back up those values not destroy them.

"You act just like your father!"... I get that often and take it is a compliment. I try to live my life in such a way that if my boys get accused of that, I'd be proud.

Since I don't have kids...I'll have to go on what I learned from my folks.

I definitely think they taught by example.

One thing that sticks out is my Dad making me earn money and save for things I wanted, like my stereo and 10 speed (no age jokes...). No matter what I picked out (usaully due to the price) he would always wind up upgrading it and paying more than half. I did learn patience and the joy of owning something I earned.

Three most important things I want to pass on to my daughter:

1.) Think for yourself. Just because the media or a liberal hack of a professor tells you something, it doesn't make it fact. Educate yourself. Read everyday.

2.) Self-Reliance. Do not allow yourself to accept success based on anything but hard work. YOU are the only person who is responsible for your success or lack there of. No one can hold you back or give you a leg up.

3.) ALL of you friends are idiots until the age of 25.

Oh yea.... and MTV is Satan's media outlet used to recruit for Girls Gone Wild.
(Joking aside: I'm not an old fart and I had my wild moments. But I really do hate everything this station stands for. And it's affect on young people is irreversibly damaging)

I taught my kids:

Be honest.
Go to work/school unless you are so sick you cannot get outa bed, or you are in the ER or Morgue.
Call your elders Sir or Maam, never by their first names.
Be polite at all times when dealing with elders, coworkers, Your boss, and the Po Po.
Leave people you meet, and things you borrow better than you found them.

They are grown now, and I hope I did a good job. If they slip, I'm gona borrow shelfies wiffleball bat :!:

G

I think it's all about modeling. When my kids see us make food for the local soup kitchen or drop off their clothes to a shelter or whatever, they understand that it's important. Whatever you show them is what they think is right or normal (even if you're showing them something bad).

Big Fat :1:
And in answer to PH's original question, I think the most effective way of passing values on to your kidlets is by example, but often a discussion is warranted. We were brutal with our kidlets; when we had them trapped in the car, we would have social and philosophical discussions about things, and then we would ask them questions like, "What do you think would happen if people didn't agree to stop at red lights?"

Big Fat :1:
:1: to both of you. We discuss stuff with Colin and make him think out the consequences of good and bad actions. We reward him for making good choices. We make it a point to thank him when he does something "correctly"--for example, has a good attitude about helping, does something without being asked. Example and talking are what we do.
As per Run's comments--I think MTV has a detrimental effect on women in particular. Many women have fought for respect and equality, and here a whole generation is attempting to flush that down the tubes by becoming nothing more than toys and objects. How do these girls ever hope to get respect when they sleaze around in little outfits being demeaned by rappers??? It really saddens me. :flames:
edited to add: If something a teacher says doesn't sound right, don't be afraid to check up on the facts--just because they say it doesn't mean it's "fact". Make your own opinions after you've researched an issue. A teacher's opinion doesn't have to be yours.

I promise to refrain from giving the "smoking is bad for you" lecture while having one dangling out of my mouth like my mom used to.....

I was raised in a household where kids had no rights whatsoever and were basically expected to be obedient robots who never questioned authority, even if it was just to understand why we were being told to do something, which I often wanted to know. If I ever had kids, which I probably won't, I would try to do things a lot differently than my parents did.

You guys are some awesome 'rents, just so ya know! :)

I tried to teach my kidlets that too. I also told them to feel free to challenge me and my decisions. I'm fully aware that I have a tendency to make snap decisions that are not in their favor because I'm afraid for them. I wanted them to challenge me on my decisions if they didn't think it was fair. It was really good for me too, to have to rethink why I said no, and it was really good for them to make their case. I think we were all a little happier too.