As a Canadian, when Obama was elected I cried! I cried for Americans perhaps finally getting the chance to have universal healthcare in their country. I have watched the news and other shows about how millions of Americans do not have health care insurance, or are under covered, or have been turned down, or have had to sell their homes and become SO indebt they will NEVER overcome it.

Now you ALL have the chance to take out the Private for profit hospitals, the thousands of insurance companies who don't cover you when you need it, etc. And I wonder on this biggest US holiday how real - low, low- middle, middle income - families and individuals, feel about finally having a chance at a public health care system, where you wont loose your house if one of you gets terribly ill or needs expensive treatments. What are you all prepared to do, to get the naysers (and voters) on side to cover ALL of you?

You would never think that the police, firefighters, paramedics, garbage men, etc. are only to be used for people who have the money! So why would you accept anything like that with the most important thing of all, yours and your loved ones health?

In Canada, Britain, New Zealand, Australia, there is a HUGE push on by conservative governments and big business to turn our healthcare system into a profit from pain idealism or as we call it "Americanized Healthcare!"!

I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I have since Obama was voted in! The amount of insurance and pharmeceutical companies advertising - almost in desperation - is beyond belief. I hope as a sister of the human race, that ALL of you in EVERY country filled with greed and Capitalism over health. That you revolt and hold any member of your government, that votes with the insurance companies and the big pharmaceutical companies, to task and vote them out! I believe this is your only time to have what virtually every other country in the world has - publically paid and administered healthcare! How do you personally feel about this issue?

I agree with you totally bambi, I too am a Canadian and can't understand how Americans can just let greedy companys and insurance groups destroy them financially when they are going through the worst times of theirs lives. Ours isn't perfect is it bambi? I have to wait to see a specialist, BUT I don't have to pay to see him either! The government here is defintiely trying to get us "americanized!" But hopefully with Americans changing their minds and standing up for themselves, it will shut down our guy here XD :-D XD So I hope that ALL americans decide to get together and become healthy without cost.

Hi Aurora, I'm glad to hear that you are both weighing in on the issue. I ahve some questions though because I am not familiar with Canadians. I do know you have to wait to see a specialist but a lot of Americans neglect the fact that you have to wait 3 - 4 months to see a doctor here too. Is that the same in Canada? What about seeing a dentist? Thanks!

Hi healthguy, I know I don't have to wait to see a dentist and I haven't heard of anything like that. Actually on tv a few days ago they awere showing a canadian woman who has a brain tumour that was on a waiting list and had to go to the States for treatment. Supposedly the Republicans have been putting her on every channel, have you seen her on tv. What make me laugh is that they also show her bill It is unreal what they charged her! so I think they should keep quiet about that. What they are saying is this, IF you pay all this money to us we WILL see you quickly! But ONLY if you give us all this money!! I hope that Obama really changes your healthcare systme and makes it ALL public. We are getting more and more privatized and it's scary. Money shouldn't be involved in it shoul it? And in Norway EVERYTHING is paid for, drugs, glasses, dental, evertyhing by the government. So it can be done! Do you have insurance or have had anyr problems with healthcare? What do you do - if you don't mind me asking?

Hi both of you, I don't wait for a dentist either! Do you have to HFG?! Actually where I live in Canada it is VERY American. And we have now a Superboard that wants to cut nursing positions and close more hospitals etc. Yet they have just opened 2 private clinics in our city! It makes me sick that all these greedy doctors are making money off of the ill and desperate. I understand that they should be paid well and they are!! Never seen a doctor at the food bank have you? BUT they shouldn't be making ALL this money when people are desperate - such as what Aurora was saying about the lady with a brain tumour - she was desperate and I would have done the same, the thing is why should we have to? When a man here - called Tommy Douglas - brought in Universal Healthcare, all the doctors were up in arms about the loss of money. And now they are getting back to this all over again. I am NOT saying all doctors of course, because the doctors and nurses that I meet weekly are wonderful caring people that are working everday in a publicly funded hospital and they HATE the present government and what they are doing. BUT there are a LOT of highpowered VERY wealthy and greedy ones that have the ears of the leaders and they WILl get their way. The only way of stopping them is for Obama to stop them and then we would look stupid trying to go the way that the US stopped. I truly hope that everyone in the States gets behind him and pushes him even further to change the system to public! You can tell this is a sore spot for me heh?!!!!! ;-) 8-| XD

Well the thing is that they're talking about privatizing healthcare in the states but they haven't even TALKED about dentists so I have no idea what that means. Usually it's not that expensive so I'm okay with it. I don't think I've ever had dental work cost more than $500, and that's all covered by insurance.

As for me, I just work in a generic office environment as an admin, so I have never had problems getting healthcare, although when I switched jobs they tried to bill me for work I had done. I just refused to pay, so they wrote off what I owed. That's the thing! You don't have to pay if you say you don't want/can't/won't. I don't think a lot of people know to do that... Isn't that awful?

I am just glad that the public healthcare bill has past the 1st hurdle! I was watching the news on the weekend about just how much governors and senators - in the US - are paid by the insurance industry!! How in heavans name is that legal? Actually I should stop watching the news, I almost pop a blood vessel when I see the greed out there!!! XD Speaking of popping a blood vessel, you guys should watch the movie "Food Nation" You will never shop at a grocery store again!!! It is UNREAL!!! BUT I also think that the more we know and thus demand answers for the better. Someone told me once, "If you stick you head in the sand, you're going to get kicked in the but!!" which is true! Anyway I just hope that people demand more from their elected officials and that the actual truth about who pays for what is made public!

Yes. It is a sure thing that in the United States there are very greedy doctors that suck money from people. On the flip side there are also some that are very good at what they do and try to keep the patient's cost down.

The biggest issue with "our" healthcare system, as I see it, is that we offer too much medical aid to illegal immagrants. If that would be shut off the hospitals and doctors would not have to charge us "paying" clients so much to make up their losses.

There are many, many different issues going on with "our" healthcare. Our government has still not came up with a sollution to heal the wounds nor do I think they ever will.
To make a long story short I want the right to choose my own doctor, to choose what tests I have performed and what medical precedures are done on my body...after all this is America. Our constitution guarantees us these freedoms...
For the government to dictate (more than they already do) is against my American right.
I say "No" to government controlled health care.

Actually, illegal immigrants do not constitute a significant portion of healthcare abuse. Even if they did, if we were able to provide free care to everyone else, that would also keep costs down because it would be a built-in cost. Don't you think it would be very barbaric of us to shut off care to someone who was bleeding to death or about to give birth in our hospitals? That would be monsterous.

While I agree with your assessment that you should have whatever doctor you want and whatever medical procedures you want, do you really have that right with our current healthcare system? I was denied a routine procedure due to a heart defect by my insurance company which costs very little. If I don't get it done, my heart might actually fail. Fortunately, it was resolved, but why should I fight that?

I think this is where misinformation comes into play! I can go to ANY doctor at anytime, I can go to ANY xray place or hospital I want to! NO insurance company can tell me that they want me to only go to 1 or 2 approved doctors! I have cancer and have had several surgeries and procedures over the last year, I didn't pay 1 red cent (other then my taxes of course) for medical help! I have seen probably 5 or 6 different specialists and more than that of regular doctors! My insurance compny pays for my drugs and bandages, and I pay $38 a month for that - where my drug bill alone is about $1,000!!!!

We have the same problems with immigrants or people on "vacation" not paying their bills, but in the most part, this is a VERY small percentage of our overall bills!

We get ALL the Amercian News Channels up here, and I am APPAULD at the misinformation about Public Health Care! It is EXACTLY the same as what Canada went through in the 60's against the Privately paid doctors! The sky didn't fall, and we ALL can go to any hospital at any time and get FREE care! If I live in 1 province and become sick in another province, I can walk into their local hospital and get free health care too - it is called Universal Health Care (which means if you are a Canadian Citizen you are covered from coast to coast to coast) All you need is a health care card from your province - proving you are a citizen of Canada!

I have a question for you Kari! Can you go to ANY doctor, ANY hospital, have ANY procedure you want to have - right now!? OR does your insurance company have to have a say? I don't have to ask 1 person or business where I can go! I just walk in! My doctor will ask ANY specialist to see me, and he sends out a form to different doctors and sees who can see me first! ALSO he can tell me what his other patients have told him about different specialists, and then follows what they say! For instance when I was first diagnosed with cancer, the surgeon treated me SO horribly, that I told me doctor and he actually had a couple of complaints already, so no longer sends anyone to this guy!

I have been talking to one lady on this site, about her TERRIBLE treatment by a surgeon that is the only one her insurance company would send her too - also when she went on Medicaid (due to her husband loosing his job) she had no other option but to go back to this guy! I think that is TOTALLY against your Constitution, and to me it's against "The Laws Of Man!" If we can't help our sick, disabled and elderly when they are needing it the most, what does it say about our society? IF it is ALL about money, and insurance, what can that possibly say about the country! If MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of your fellow Americans, don't go to the hospital or doctor when they are seriously ill - because they have no insurance! What does THAT say about the country that is allowing it? We - in Canada - are fighting tooth and nail against our individual governments trying to privatize our healthcare system! And we sit here with our mouths wide open wondering why ordinary Americans - our neighbours and friends - sit there and don't stand up and demand that you have Universal, publically funded healthcare that EVERYONE can get! Not just people with insurance or high paying jobs!

My argument is this, IF - God forbid - your house and your neighbours house were burning at the same time, you had house insurance and your neighbour didn't! Would you expect the fire department just to come to your house and not your neighbours?! The most important thing in our lives - the health of ourselves and our loved ones - relies on your coverage! How come ALL Americans have no problem with having The Fire Department, the Police, The Courts - cover EVERYONE - EQUALLY! BUT NOT when it comes to healthcare? Shouldn't EVERY AMERICAN be covered and be able to get healthcare? Next time you turn on the tv I want you to count just how many insurance and pharmeceutical commericals there are on right now! It is mind blowing! And this will be even more over the next couple of weeks, with the vote going towards the next vote! Just how many people in power are paid by the insurance companies? That's wrong!

I would really like to hear what you have to say about my opinion on this! It is in no way meant to attack Americans with your thoughts! It is more for trying to impart OUR side of the debate - because whatever Americans allow will quickly impact your neighbours to the north!

I did not mention prior that I have a family member who is a medical doctor in Germany. Germany has, as close as I can tell, the same health care system as you. In conversation I have heard the other side's opinion and it is unbelievable to me how the government can dictate practically every move this doctor makes. Scary!!

Sorry! I have never heard of a medical facility taking someone's house away because they can't pay their medical bills. We have what is called medical bankrupcy protecting people from having their homes taken away and most times if the patient can't pay their bill...well let's just say people like me end up paying it for them.

The poor are on medicaid. The ederly and disabled on Medicare. Both are ran by our government health care system.
(as you stated above there was a patient on Medicaid that was told where to go to recieve healthcare...hmmm!)
Most working people can pay a portion of their medical insurance via the comapny they work for. My cost is 89.00 us dollars a month. I have doctor's visits, tests, treatments and prescriptions paid for a small co-pay and deductable. On major medical my insurance pays 80%, after write offs, and I am only required to pay up to $2500.oo out of pocket.
Yes I do have a list of doctors that I can go to...but the list is huge and I can make my own choice! I have suffered a from a fairly severe medical condition for the past 6 yrs and have never once been turned away from any medical doctor, hospital or clinic yet. I do not have to wait for months for an appt. For a specialist it is often 2 weeks due to appt being full and with my GP can often times get me in the day I call if I am ill with the flu, etc.

The only real issue I see about health insurance is for the people that have lost their jobs due to closings and cut backs because "our" jobs are getting moved to Mexico, Canada, China, India, etc. Those are the people I have great empathy for.
Those are the people our government needs to be finding health care for...not the poor, not the disabled or ederly, not most of the working people.

We have a very high number of illegal immigrants (I guess Canada has stricter government to keep them out!) which is draining our health care system along with many other things.

About the woman not being able to get another doctor because she is on Medicaid (which is ran by our government) I have never heard of such a thing. Medicaid gives many medical options for people as long as the medical facility will accept Medicaid patients. Same with Medicare and I don't see disabled or seniors complaining about "the list" of medical options they have.

Everything that is government ran or mandated here is a nightmare with red tape, rules and regulations. I'm more comfortable with making my own health care choices.

I hope I have answered your questions and I'd like to give you something to consider...Have you ever wondered if the media and your government is filling your head with propaganda about health insurance?

Another thing I forgot to mention...there are also free medical facilities set up across the US that treat and provide medication for "poor" people that qualify.

Thankyou for replying to my questions! I agree with you about the medias role in all of this - on both sides actually! I wish I could create a law that only the truth is told and ALL information is given! What I hear that Obama proposes is NOT to get rid of your medical system as it stands now, but to have a public system run aside it! Which happens in England, Germany, Norway, Australia, New Zealand etc. And here! All our doctors are private enterprises, and can charge whatever little extras are not covered by our Canada Health Act!

Actually we have a LOT of fraud when it comes to immigrants using others health care cards, now we have started demanding photo id! This is what it has come to!

I have been on both sides of the issue, I have injured myself at work - which is covered by WCB, I was able to see a top specialist - actually specialists within a week! I had EVERY test quickly and no wait at all! Yet when I had an injury from a condition I have, I had to wait 4 months - to get 1 test and then a further 4 months to see - you guessed it - the same doctor!!!! That is NOT right, just because the WCB pays 15% more for this same specialist to see me, doesn't mean that he should pick and choose whom he sees first! It should never be about money! Our system if NOT perfect by far, but for anything major - such as cancer etc, then I would not want to be anywhere else in the world! Every year that goes by our costs go up and up and up, they deslist certain procedures and take off items and procedures that were once covered, are now being covered by us!

What I am saying to ALL Americans is this - We know that Americans (in the most part) believe that EVERYTHING Socialized is a move to Communism and Socialism, BUT why do you accept Socialism for the Police and Fire services - where EVERYONE is covered!?

I believe that EVERYTHING should be covered for the sick, and scrutiny should definitely be given to people of citizenship only getting the aid! Like I stated before that this is a growing problem in our country! It disgusts and angers me no end that I have to wait in line with others that haven't paid any taxes to handle our system! We also have people that have a Canadian Citizenship, yet live the entire time over in other countries, and only come back for medical care and if there is trouble in the country where they live! I don't think that is right at all actually!

I know it is very naive of me to hope that greed has NOTHING to do with healthcare! But that is my hope and my dream, that the greedy will be kicked to the curb and the truly in need will get anything they want and need! Like I said I know this is naive! As you guys have gone through more than any other country, the greed is embedded in everything - thus the bail out! And I - as I'm sure yourself and many others - were TOTALLY angered by that greed!

Do you think that for the most part, Americans are happy with the way your healthcare system is right now? Or do you think that the 2 Private and Public can work side by side - covering everyone!? I appreciate the time you are taking to discuss this with me! I am a public advocate - here in my province! And everytime we have a problem the media asks me what I think! So I suppose I am more "Intune" or even over emotional about the deterioation of our healthcare system or as we put it "The Americanization of our System" So all I can say - from the horror stories we have here, and the horror stories I hear from your media channels, just know there is NOTHING to fear about public healthcare, that it needs to be embrased and that everyone needs to demand more accountability and less governemnt. Because I can tell you, I am flabberghasted that you have SO many levels of government, who just waste your monies! Priorities are all wrong aren't they? If ALL of that money wasn't given to the greedy, it could have covered you ALL for your healthcare! It is amazing to me, that there hasn't been civil war!!! XD But it's the same everywhere isn't it? Which is dissapointing!

The lady I was talking about is one of many that I have "counselled" on here, so she was one of many that I used as an example! I think the only way you can understand is to experience it, isn't it? Because it just depends on that persons experience and how it is reported AND believed! Once again thankyou for you discussing this with me!

Actually, Germany's system is much closer to our system and not that of Canada's. Germans all have private health care, and if your family member complains about the system, then his complaints are similar to ours. Even then, Germany's costs are far lower than ours. And we can blame immigrants until we're blue in the face, but I don't think that's what's causing the real cost of our healthcare to rise.

Here Here HFG! I think it is pure unadultered greed! Insurance, Pharmeceutical companies, big organizations who own hospitals, and also citizen just accepting that there is greed and feel unempowered to do anything about it!

With the H1N1 epidemic, our province has handled this SHOCKINGLY! The sick and in danger still have not had their shots, there was 7 our waits for a shot, then they ran out! The day they ran out a hocky team called the Calgary Flames got their own shots, by a private clinic!! While pregnant women and sick children - higher cases, were turned away!!!!! Actually I think that was a good thing that happened, it actually opened peoples eyes to the two tier system that awaits us! So we'll see if anything changes from that! I can FINALLY get my shot today, because of my cancer! And my youngest son can get his tommorrow because he has a low immune system! But as Kari mentioned before, the media on both sides of the border has a LOT to answer for, especially with over hyping this flu!

I just wish that there was ALL the facts out there, not depending on who owns what station or newspaper! We have 2 families in Canada that run ALL the media and newspaper outlets! It's crazy!!! So depending on whether or not their friends get caught up in a scandal, then you will only hear some of the story! It IS like living in Russia sometimes!