I know there are probably state and co. codes that cover this more explicitly, but in general, what are my rights as a pedestrian out running on the side of the road. I never run on the sidewalks because they aren't continious. Too much curb jumping involved to keep a good rhythm.

You have the RIGHT no to be run over by an inattentive driver!! :eek2:

Is that a right or a privilege.

PH, I have wondered that myself. Most of my runs can be done on sidewalk or some other kind of path. There are a couple sections however that I have to run in the street. So far most of the drivers I have encounter have been courteous.

My understanding in Ga is pedestrains have right of way in crosswalks but not outside crosswalks. So I'd deduce we have very little protecting us. At least that's the way I see it when I'm out there.

On my regular course that I run, I must pass about 50 driveways...the most dangerous ones are the apartment complex type where people come out cruising from the driveway as if they're starting the Indy 500 or something...Since I know this, I always stop first to let them go by.

As for streets, I'm very attentive and I can usually tell if the driver coming up to their stop sign sees me or not...If I feel that they can't I simply jump onto their car, kick out the windshield and continue on (okay, I run behind the car instead of the front). :P

Which begs the question...If you ever do get hit, would you sue?

None. Vehicles must yield the right of way to pedestrians in a cross-walk when the pedestrian is going with the flow of traffic. Other than that, none. We are at the mercy of inattentive people in 2000 lb vehicles.
Oh and Shelf, I've actually done the run-over-the-car thing

I don't know what other states have for laws but in my state the laws are quite specific. As a driver I'm expected to know the motor vehicle laws why do runners not know the laws that affect them?

In my state it's illegal to walk/run in the traveled portion of a road. You must be on the left facing the traffic if there is no sidewalk. If there is a sidewalk that's where you must be and at controlled intersections you must obey the signals the same as drivers. If there are crosswalks you must use them and when using a crosswalk you must signal your intention to cross so the drivers can stop for you.

These rules are rarely obeyed or enforced by local police but the laws are there and will be used in case of an accident.

In the spring we usually joke that you can tell it's spring because all the mothers are out teaching the little ones how jaywalk and the fathers are out teaching them to ride bicycles on the wrong side of the road. About the crosswalks we say they are 200 feet wide between the 3 foot wide spaces between the lines.

None. Vehicles must yield the right of way to pedestrians in a cross-walk when the pedestrian is going with the flow of traffic. Other than that, none. We are at the mercy of inattentive people in 2000 lb vehicles. Oh and Shelf, I've actually done the run-over-the-car thing That's my girl!! :thumbsup:

It would have to be a Ferrari for me to jump on the hood. Mid-stride, I don't think I could go much higher. I'd probably just smash into an SUV.

I have done the over the car thing as well, with hand gesture, and few expletives as well.

Yielding to pedestrians in the crosswalks is correct, other than that, you are at the mercy of the dopes on the road.

I just don't seem to have this problem. must be the small town. yesterday's run was at 5pm. I had to stop once for a car, and that was on a busy street.

where there are sidewalks legally you should be on them. if no side walk as far to the side of the road as possible, preferrably over the white fog line. a driver is not supposed to cross the fog line. if you are outside the fog line you are in a lane of traffic

cross walks, have right of way as long as traffic light is green and a walk signal is indicated. crossing against a light, again you are at risk

the basic rule of thumb (not law) is be aware and alert, face traffic and be ready to jump if you have to

most times peds hit by cars are not at fault unless it the ped is crossing the street in the middle of the street

Your last line says it all. I am intrigued by the attitude of many (most?) pedestrians that seems to be "I own this road, you look out for me". Before we had vehicles we had no roads, only paths through the woods. Roads were built for vehicles not walkers and are paid for out of vehicle taxes. Also most walkers are also drivers so how does the attitude change as soon as they are out of their vehicle and would they really rather be right and get hit by a vehicle? "I have two broken legs, a broken back, plenty of pain and will never walk again ---- but I WAS RIGHT!!!"

where there are sidewalks legally you should be on them.

There is no rule or law that states that I, as a pedestrian, have to be on the sidewalk.

There is in my state.