I started weight training about a year ago, when I got a cheapo weight & bench set (barbell only). I used to get a little sore the next day after working out.

Recently, I upgraded my weights to a cast iron plate barbell and dumbbell set. I am now able to do much better training with the dumbbells. Now I'm usually sore a little the next day, but on the 2nd day I am really feeling it.

Now to the point, are you more sore the 1st day after pumping iron or the 2nd day?

Usually, I'm the most sore the next day. Leg day is usually the only time the soreness is bad enough to interfere with 2 days worth of training.

Your getting used to training. To help the soreness you can do something light the day after a hard workout. Easy 30 minute run or 30-45 minute easy spin. This will help flush the legs and bring fresh nutrients to the muscles.

Well most of what i see researching D O M S states that it can start anywhere between 8-72 hours. Although it is not truly clear why DOMS happens just yet. (several theories out though)