I have been running on the treadmill for a couple months now and have recently started moving to the road.

I have a question/problem.

I get up at 4:30 in the morning and head to the gym three days a week to run 3 miles on the treadmill. The other two days of the week I also go to the gym at that time, but I make these my easy days, walking and weight training. I want to start running more on the road but at 4:30 in the morning I don't feel safe with my headphones on - too many things that could come up on me that I couldn't hear. The problem is that I kinda need the music to keep me going because I run alone.

I thought about going ahead and getting up these three days and doing the 3 miles on the treadmill and then when I get home from work in the afternoon running 1-3 miles on the road.

I understand that I need to take every other day and make it an easy day to let my body rest and recuperate but I wondered what you all think about running multiple times a day on my hard days.

Saturdays I usually make a hard running day and then Sunday I take off completely - other than maybe playing with the kids in the yard.

Thanks,

Tim

I can remember my coach telling me not to run several times a day. Get it all done at once, with my experience on the XC team, it's also better to do it all at once.

For your relatively low mileage, I'd run on one of your off days before running twice on one day.

It's a shame the search feature here doesn't work, because there are some great threads on running doubles here. If you do a little digging you can find some in the mid-packers forum.

I have also been told to not run multiple times a day. It's better to do it all at once. I agree with MechEng - on your light days try to get in a short run.