I have started lifting a couple weeks back but have only had time to do so once a week. Am I going to see any benefit from this or am I wasting my time?

Also runing the day after my work out is tough, and my legs feel dead. does it get easier? I am not lifting to failure just enough to get a good burn by my last few reps.

I'd suggesting lifting at least twice a week. It's hard to realize any gains with just doing it once a week.

The post-workout soreness will probably never go away, but as your body becomes more adjusted to the stresses of lifting, it won't carry over so much into the next day's run.

I agree, twice a week, full body workout, should supplement your running nicely. How many days a week do you run and how long are you lifting? You may want to shuffle your lifting days around.

I run 6 days a week. I am putting in about 40mpw right now with Monday's being my off day. I am lifting on Sundays after my run. During the week it is hard to get my run in and then get to the gym to lift. Once the weather improves a little I hope to move my weekday runs to the morning and this would free up some evening workout time.

I think at least twice a week would be good as well.

I hope you're not doing your LONG run on Sunday and lifting...... 8O

You could actually lift on Mondays and then do an easy recovery run Tuesdays, that way you aren't doubling up or lifting after a long run, which is exertion in and of itself.

PH, what do you think, you do more multisport stuff than the rest of us. I'd lift on a non running day, personally.

I lift on my speedwork days personally, that way I'm sore on my recovery days. Who cares about pace on recovery days?

When I was running and lifting regularly, I was running in the morning (M-F) lifting Tuesday and Thursday night, and Saturday mornings. That seemed to work good for me. My Thursday night lifting never seemed to have any adverse affect on my Friday long runs.

I lift on short run or speedwork days also (MWF) and I lift after I run. I'm more on a maintenance lifting program than anything - I'm not looking for bulk beyond where I am now. Just trying to keep what I got.

I lift 5 day's a week, with Wednesday and Sunday off. I also run 5 day's a week with a walk day on Saturday, and rest on Sunday.

I know it burns the candle at both ends, but I feel great, and at almost 50, that's what counts

You probably won't see as much benefit from lifting one day a week as you would by lifting two or three days. On the other hand, something is better than nothing.

As for when to lift, any time your little heart desires. Just remember, that when you start a new program, your muscles will be fatigued until they adapt to the strain. You could even lift during the middle of a run. Run to the gym, lift, then run home. 8O
Lifting added to running can kick your thighs' butts, but over time they will adapt, and you'll be stronger for it.

Truer words were never spoken. The first time I did a 30 minute trainer ride/1 hr. lifting - back and shoulders/30 minute trainer ride, I thought I was going to pass out when it was over. Now it's just a regular day of training. My latest 'this is going to kill me' conquest is on Fridays now. 1 hr. free weights - lower body/ 1 hr. ride to work/{4 hr. break for work}/8 x .25 mile repeats + w/u and cool down/15 mile ride home. By about half-way through the ride home, I'm sure I'm going to die and I'm swearing off all types of training. Hopefully in a week or two, I'll adapt to the stress and be that much stronger for it.