My mom has bypass surgery 5 months ago. She is doing well so far. I read somewhere that taking omega-3 fatty acids reduces the incidence of atrial fibrillation after bypass surgery. Is it true?

Hello there. You are not the only one, I was also reading about this and I found the same information as you did. Especially in the segment where you can find all about atrial fibrillation treatment. But, I have decided to talk to one doctor who has really a huge experience in this area, to tell me his opinion. It seems that the findings of other studies have been inconsistent. On the other hand, some clinical trials and researchers are needed to assess the potential of omega-3 fatty acids on prevention of atrial fibrillation in the general population, which is not that easy. I think that omega 3 fatty acids can't harm you. But of course, you have to do some tests to see what your doctor has to say about this whole story. 

I am taking omega 3 for another reason, but I did some research and I read also that some doctors did study on this. They reported that omega-3 fatty acids reduce the incidence of certain cardiac arrhythmias. Doctors wanted to test the proposition that omega-3 fatty acids would lower the risk of atrial fibrillation after bypass surgery. But this study is relatively small and does not offer definitive proof that fish oil helps prevent atrial fibrillation.