when walking has shortness of breath. is doing pt. meds are cardizem and xarelto. cardiologist said remain on meds see you in 6 months. edema in legs. cardiologist said use a diuretic for this and has 70 percent kidney function. is diuretic ok. we have to ask our primary dr. is this all that can be done for my mother. i feel like they have given up on her. her pulse rate is up and down. it does not stay up the pulse. if it stays way up and won't go down call the dr. please any help. thank you.

Hi Guest,

The best option is to have your mother get a second opinion from another cardiologist. 

We don't have any test results or know her history.

In general terms it appears as though the doctor is attempting to manage her symptoms.  We can't say whether there is a procedure that could improve her condition.

Sorry.

Carizem is a standard medication to help with rythym disturbances.  Xarelto is used to prevent clots, which can be caused by AF.

Hey, I am wondering if there any chance that for some reason doctors may give a wrong diagnose? Or maybe doctors gave a wrong atrial fibrillation treatment? How often this happens? Because I have the same problem with my mom, and she is 69 years old. I was thinking about to seek for another opinion, another cardiologist when she was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation because since she is receiving some therapy, I am almost sure that there is no progress in this one. But I am scared that our cardiologist might be mad because we are suspecting at his opinion. That happened 7 months ago and I think that my mom is feeling even worse than ever...