Good day good people. I am diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I was OK because my doctor gave me therapy and so far everything was going at good direction. Until yesterday. He called me because I needed to do some test almost one month ago and I haven't done it. So I went to see him and he told me that my condition is getting worse. To stop this he told me that I should do maze procedure for atrial fibrillation. I am not so sure, but I think that my friend mentioned me once that there are some risks of this procedure. I hope that there are benefits as well. Can you tell me? 

Hey there. I am really glad that you think positive. If there are a risk, there must be a benefits as well. Good work! I love when people are optimistic. I understand your concern as well.  I was reading some research’s and I found out that after maze surgery, the quality of life was significantly improved at 6 months and at 1 year on all scales except for bodily pain, which, however, was not significantly decreased before surgery. At both 6 months and 1 year after maze surgery, quality of life. That is very good statistic. I am sure that the benefits are that matters. I believe that there are no risks.

Good day there. I am trying to think positive whenever I can, but I need to mention that I don't even have a idea what this procedure is eclectically. I don't know do I need to go to some chamber because I am really scared of small, closed spaces. Yes, I am claustrophobic. So, I would like that you tell me more about the risk of maze procedure for atrial fibrillation. I think that nothing is going happen to me, but generally I want to know what can happen, what can I expect because my doctor won't tell me. He knows that I love to panic a lot.

Look, this is a classical Open chest Maze surgery. That means that the sternum is divided to allow access to the chest. During this surgery, the heart is stopped and a heart-lung machine is used. Scissors are used to open the pericardium to gain access to the heart. So when you have open heart surgery, you need to be aware that there is a risk always. But if you have a good doctor, who you trust he will tell you this. I am sure that he won’t avoid the fact that something serious can happen to you during this surgery.