Hi, I am a fifty years old woman. For some time now I have been felling very strange. My mouth was extremely dry. No matter what I did, it did not help. You can only imagine the amount of liquids I have taken. I went to see a doctor. After some tests, he diagnosed me with sjogren's syndrome. I am to visit him again so that the treatment options will be presented to me. What am I to expect?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome usually affects women from the age of forty. It is an autoimmune disease. This means that our immune system is causing it. What happens is that the immune system recognizes some tissue of our body as a threat. It starts producing antibodies to fight it. Because of it, inflammation occurs. In the case of Sjogren's syndrome, the affected tissues are moisture producing glands. The usual symptoms are dry eyes and, like in your case, dry mouth. There is no cure for this condition. The treatment involves medicine that acts against the symptoms of it. Some other non medical treatments can be useful. But everything that you should do will be explained to you by the doctor.