Please tell me if back brace is the usual treatment for Scheuermann’s disease. My son has been diagnosed with Scheuermann’s disease recently. What are the other treatment options for this condition? He is only 14 years old; I am very worried about him. I don’t know what caused this condition. He had X ray done two days ago and the doctor suggested back brace. Help me please.

It is not known the exact cause of Scheuermann’s disease, but it s believed that is due to abnormal vertebral growth. When the front part of the vertebra stops growing before the back part result is C-shaped formed spine. Back brace is usual treatment to relive the pain, if the child is still growing, as a possibility to help correct deformity. Other treatments are anti-inflammatory drugs to relive the pain and exercise to strengthen abdominal muscles to relive muscle contractures in the legs. In the end, there is surgery to correct severe deformities.