I have son who is diagnosed with postural kyphosis. I am surprised because I have not noticed it until doctor in his school warrants me about it. Now I am supposed to visit a specialist, but before this, I have few questions. Can you tell me what kind of kyphosis is postural, and what kyphosis actually refers? Are there some treatment options for my son that is only 14 years old?

Some degree of curvature to the spine is normal, but the term kyphosis is usually applied to the curve that results in an exaggerated round back. A variety of disorders may be responsible for this condition, so I cannot tell you exact cause for your son. That is the most common situation that a visit to the doctor is brought on by a scoliosis screening at school. Most of them are concerned about the cosmetic deformity of a rounded back or pain combined with poor posture. The doctor may ask the child to bend forward so that he or she can see the slope of his or her spine. Sometimes doctor will use X-rays of the spine as diagnosing method, which might show if there are any bony abnormalities. X-rays will also let the doctor measure the degree of the kyphotic curve, because anything more than 50 degrees is considered abnormal. Postural kyphosis is the most common type and it represents an exaggerated, but flexible, increase of the natural curve of the spine. This usually becomes noticeable during adolescence and more common among girls than boys do. Exercises to strengthen the abdomen and stretch the hamstrings may help take away associated discomfort, but treatment of kyphosis depends on cause, so his doctor will tell you better.

The orthopedic doc will tell you immediately after an x-ray if the kyphosis is postural or scheuermann's and then you must treat accordingly